I posted many times about our Family Camp for Pathway to Adventure Council (Chicago).  This is located at historic Owasippe Scout Reservation at "Camp Reneker".  While it is a specifically-developed facility and program apart from the Scouts BSA program areas, it is popular and a great offering for our Scouting families.  We are in a new era for the business-side of camp operations and will need the income stream to maintain our camps in the post-bankruptcy era.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Cburkhardt said:

We are in a new era for the business-side of camp operations and will need the income stream to maintain our camps in the post-bankruptcy era.

For sure. The more people that can take positive advantage of our camps, the more Scouts can grow. Or at least keep the camps open. 

...For almost a decade the Summit Bechtel Reserve was only open to boy scouts, private events, and high-profile ambassadors... but as of this week, September 12th, people can get a day pass to enjoy all the reserve has to offer.

“We are excited to have people come out here and try our skate park which we are standing in now or the lakes or bike trials or any number of activities that we offer,” said Bill Garrett, Director of Business Development, Bechtel Summit Reserve.

Garrett also says that the passes start at fifteen dollars and go up to thirty for a guided tour. But there are other price options in-between depending on the type of experience you are looking for.

The new day pass option for the public is not a limited offer and it will be a permanent part of their operation. The Reserve also offers lodging with accommodations varying from glamping :( to hotel stays.

https://www.wvva.com/2022/09/14/summit-bechtel-reserve-permanently-open-public/

I cannot shake the image of camping in an amusement park.

I admit I got mixed emotions on this. One one hand, if outside groups using camps will save the camp, I am all for it. If on the other hand the scouts turn into another public park, where folks can "party" all nite and not respect others as I have seen at a few public campgrounds, I am against it.

I know camps in the UK are open to anyone. They rely heavily on volunteers to run things through out the year.

• Upvote 1