Lol, got this email today:

Looks like we are really pushing the country club experience... read the part on accommodations a few times...

I think the messaging in this dilutes and distracts from the mission. 

What say you?

-------------------------------------------------------

Hello InquisitiveScouter,

I’m personally reaching out to you today to share some information I think you’ll find exciting. You know, just the other day I was sharing a memory of my early Scout camping adventures with a friend who likes to camp but was not a Scout. I often find it hard to put into words why those outdoor experiences created such strong bonds and fond memories.

How often have you wished your family and friends could understand the amazing experiences you had in Scouting? If you could only share those outdoor adventures with them now. Well, great news! Now you can!  

I am personally inviting you and your “crew” to experience the great outdoors as never before. BSA Family Adventure Camp is a one-of-a-kind vacation 
for adventurers of all ages. And everyone is welcome––you don’t have to be a Scout to participate!

We all know, no one does camping like the BSA, so you can count on endless family fun at any one of our select BSA camps. Enjoy a wide selection of amazing family activities unlike any other camp experience like kayaking, ziplining, climbing, ropes courses, shooting sports, and leather crafts alongside traditional activities including swimming, hiking, horseback riding, and of course, time around the campfire. Activities that keep you connected to what matters most: each other.

BSA Family Adventure Camps are in some of the most incredible destinations - whether you prefer the mountains or the ocean.  And there are accommodations for every type of camper. For you conventional campers we offer the traditional rustic tents. If there are some on your invitee list who prefer a little less rustic accommodations, there are a variety of options from bunkhouse rooms to luxury deluxe tents to hotel-style rooms.

What’s more, you don’t have to worry about the food! All BSA Family Adventure Camp packages include all the hearty meals and BSA hospitality you’ll need. Come for a week, or just stay a few days. Reserve your outdoor adventure today and make some new memories with those who mean the most to you.  Book your trip today at  https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/family-adventure-camp.

Looking forward to seeing you around the campfire,

c23176390b955a053cb958c13ebffe8c4e2622e5036934f09eae47d8c852d813.png

Jim Rogers
BSA Family Adventure Camp Chairman
Eagle Scout, Reno, NV

c6c814f568c5de58d7161950d7add7d3a04057dcb77812bb2b276e261d1acb11.jpg

P.S. If BSA Family Adventure Camp doesn’t work for your family this year, check out your local council camp summer offerings! We just want you to get outside and make new meaningful memories.

As a relatively new Scouter (volunteering for 2 years) with a Cub Scout son, a Cub Scout aged daughter, a wife who wants to do camping things but not quite rough it, and a. toddler, this is a very attractive option for us to be able to do Scout-type things as a family, possibly also including my older (70ish) parents (who were my Cubmaster and Den Leader growing up but who haven't camped in ages).  This seems a great way to include family in additional adventures, and for the BSA to make some extra dollars.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

And everyone is welcome––you don’t have to be a Scout to participate!

Am I reading this correctly?  No Scout has to be a family member?  Any JoeBob off the street can bring his tribe to Scout camp, send a few rounds downrange, swim with the dolphins, and hang out at the waterfront?

11 minutes ago, JoeBob said:

Am I reading this correctly?  No Scout has to be a family member?  Any JoeBob off the street can bring his tribe to Scout camp, send a few rounds downrange, swim with the dolphins, and hang out at the waterfront?

My understanding from last year is that at least one person in the group needs to be registered though that might have changed.

These family camps are really popular in my area with families that have Cub aged Scouts and BSA Scouts as you get to camp as a family and the camping nights count for the BSA Scout.

3 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

My family just spent a week at summer camp together.  Next summer we are doing something uhhh, different   :)

So why are you do something different?

On 6/7/2022 at 11:39 PM, Tron said:

These family camps are really popular in my area with families that have Cub aged Scouts and BSA Scouts as you get to camp as a family and the camping nights count for the BSA Scout.

FYI, Family camping does not count toward Tenderfoot through First Class. Tenderfoot 1b states, with bold for emphasis  "Spend at least one night on a patrol or troop campout. Sleep in a tent you have helped pitch." Second Class 1a states "Since joining Scouts BSA, participate in five separate troop/patrol activities, at least three of which must be held outdoors. Of the outdoor activities, at least two must include overnight camping. These activities do not include troop or patrol meetings. On campouts, spend the night in a tent that you pitch or other structure that you help erect, such as a lean-to, snow cave, or tepee." And First Class 1a states "10 separate troop/patrol activities, at least six of which must be held outdoors. Of the outdoor activities, at least three must include overnight camping. "

Camping Merit Badge gets tricky as some requirements must be done in the patrol setting.

National Outdoor Award is not a problem. But in my area, the award is not a big deal. Most units are camping 9-12 times each year.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 3
On 6/14/2022 at 4:48 PM, Tron said:

So why are you do something different?

On 6/14/2022 at 6:59 PM, SSScout said:

.....completely different?   

School here ends the last week of May.  My daughter will be a sophomore in HS and is in band,  Summer band begins in the middle of July.  Summer just doesn't last as long as it used to.  We are planning on a trip to Disney World next summer during the limited time we have.  

37 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

School here ends the last week of May.  My daughter will be a sophomore in HS and is in band,  Summer band begins in the middle of July.  Summer just doesn't last as long as it used to.  We are planning on a trip to Disney World next summer during the limited time we have.  

Sounds like a plan. Was just there (well Sea World, the kids outvoted Mrs. Q.) Enjoy the traffic.

P.S. — One of my erstwhile scouts is a photojournalist for the Orlando Sentinel and has written several articles on off-the-beaten-path adventures.

3 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

That makes sense, sucks that your daughter doesn't get more summer due to band starting so early. 

• 2 months later...

Called BaseCamp here, and it involves 3 camps in three Councils:

Programs at our Base Camps are open to ALL youth and families, you do NOT need to be a member of Scouting to participate. (So apparently any JoeBob or BillyJo  :) ). We seek to provide a unique, welcoming environment for families of all kinds to experience nature, build character, learn life skills, equip youth for success in life, and create lifelong memories.

While at Base Camp, you will have the opportunity to learn about Scouting programs in your community. If your child loves Base Camp, they may want to become a Scout!

Note:  A family buys individual program Passes  or yearly Family Adventure (membership) Card similar to the Y.  A parent (cardholder?) must accompany child. For ages 11-17, some workshops offered online.

More details at source

https://experiencebasecamp.org/pages/boy-scouts-of-america

• Thanks 1

If it helps pay to keep camps within BSA and has limited impact on scout programs I have no issue.  I'm sure many families could be interested and it would be a unique experience.   I expect BSA will have to be more creative to gain revenue streams and at least this one doesn't involve selling off camps. 

• Upvote 1