Jump to content

"Leave No Trace" - BSA Documentary


Recommended Posts

Directed by Irene Taylor, Executive Producer Brian Grazer & Ron Howard

Streaming on Hulu & release scheduled in New York & LA June 16

Will focus on alleged century-long sexual abuse cover-up by the Boy  Scouts of America.  It will also explore the declining membership and bankruptcy case.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/boy-scouts-doc-trailer-abuse-scandal-leave-no-trace-1235159517/

 

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A moderator reminder, members can express their differing, diverse opinions in a courteous, kind, and helpful (scoutlike) manner and receive the same in discussion. Opinions can be right, wrong, infor

Please do not speak for survivors. Frankly you are way underqualified and have a bias against survivors views.

Directed by Irene Taylor, Executive Producer Brian Grazer & Ron Howard Streaming on Hulu & release scheduled in New York & LA June 16 Will focus on alleged century-long sexual ab

47 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Directed by Irene Taylor, Executive Producer Brian Grazer & Ron Howard

Streaming on Hulu & release scheduled in New York & LA June 16

Will focus on alleged century-long sexual abuse cover-up by the Boy  Scouts of America.  It will also explore the declining membership and bankruptcy case.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/boy-scouts-doc-trailer-abuse-scandal-leave-no-trace-1235159517/

 

Of note is that Ron Howard also was an executive producer of the recent Hulu series Under the Banner of Heaven about the Mormon church. I recently watched it and was struck by some of the parallels with how the showrunners constructed the insular nature of the Mormon church in dealing with the depicted abuse against women and gender attitudes, and how BSA dealt with the child abuse scandal, likely during the same time frame. I don't know if anyone else watched it but there was a disturbing scene where two abused women are at a gas station screaming for help and they are ignored by all the men present, including a boy scout troop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I have watched this trailer at least 30-40 times since I found out about the documentary. I sure wish I could have had the same outcome as the survivor who received confirmation from the police, that his abuser admitted guilt. Instead, I was told by the police detective, "at least he knows someone talked. Maybe he won't do it anymore." I was left speechless and heartbroken as I watched the detective leave my apartment. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have to note; the police left your apartment and basically did nothing?  Why, and are they also being sue?  Simply trying to clarify this a little.  

Also, once again, we have the perjorative renaming of the IV files, most of which were not abuse records.  Yes, too many were, and some were not handled well at all.  Still, it has been shown that many other factors were involved, including people like the police noted above.  Also not noted in this short is the fact that the IV files did on more than one occasion from the records themselves, stop someone.  All this prior to the insta-check of the computer era.  Can I again suggest, these things need to be balanced and put forth most of the broader information.  

Please, none of the calling me someone against fixing the issue, just want the window to have the broad perspective that is possible with a bit more investigation.  Many are responsible, and some continue to be ignored due to the sensationalism BSA brings to the table.  And, also due to how many public agencies are almost imposssible to hold accountible, and too many issues from the problem being viewed in a differewnt societal light.  Withold further judgment

Edited by skeptic
add
Link to post
Share on other sites

ABC is the media collaborator on this project. In a recent release, the writer made the following statement. Not a quote, but still. The latter part is huge “Um, say what?!?!” If they think that and say it publicly, that’s a problem. The Coalition has sorta perpetuated this notion. Wonder where they got this idea or if they’re simply hyping the film.

The organization filed for bankruptcy in February 2020. Since then, more than 82,000 men have come forward with claims of abuse. The proposed reorganization plan for the BSA would include the largest sexual abuse settlement in history, even dwarfing payouts from the U.S. Catholic Church.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/ABC-News-Announces-LEAVE-NO-TRACE-Documentary-20220606

Edited by ThenNow
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched it. I think it's very effective from the standpoint of presenting the case to the public that BSA has covered up the child abuse scandal and that its corporate culture really hasn't changed. At one point towards the end of the documentary the National Director says the bankruptcy is about compensation for victims, and not about the BSA doing anything much different going forward. In his mind, they've already addressed most of the issues although he later says they will always look to improve. But for those of us hoping there would be some kind of meaningful reorganization, that apparently is not the corporate BSA view or goal.  The documentary takes a very quiet, measured, reflective approach to the topic, and it looks at systemic dysfunction within BSA as a whole, not just the abuse scandal. It doesn't come across at all sensationalized to me. The whole film has a very weary, sad feel to it that's very evocative. I have no idea how much attention it will get on Hulu but I think it's going to raise a lot of questions for the average person who views it. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the video discusses the files as they were intended, and calls them IV files and not the perjorative of Mr. K and others, and also notes that most of the files were not abuse, and points out that that until fairly recently making the files open to others would have been a serious chance of libel issues, and notes the cases that are in the files that were not followed up on by authorities leaving BSA to just separate the individuals, and touches on the strong likelihood that many of the "82,000 claims are not vetted and resulted from legal manipulations, and notes the constant improvements in YP to the extent that BSA was looked at as a model not too long ago for modern YP plans, and points out that comparatively to know stats in other youth serving groups the incidences, even with the questionable ones is still low, and also notes that they have accepted responsibility and admit poor decisions in the past in some cases and are still working to improve protections even before the bankruptcy, or possibly puts forward known instances of BSA doing it right; then I will possibly see it as not a hatchet job.  Back to those words, balance and perspective.  Also, possibly note that we are making judgments in a different societal time and that in itself skews the picture.

Edited by skeptic
Add
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2022 at 5:05 PM, skeptic said:

Have to note; the police left your apartment and basically did nothing?  Why, and are they also being sue?  Simply trying to clarify this a little.  

 

Below is a post I made a while back on this forum regarding this issue. You can now include the Roman Catholic Archdiocese since they also withheld information from the police but also sided with "our" abuser which resulted in 1 survivor/scout/classmate getting kicked out of BSA.  This is why a judge granted us the ability to seek "punitive damages" and not just compensatory damages. There is a big difference between the too. In my case, my abuse was 200% preventable but BSA, the LC and Archdiocese were too concerned about their prestige and reputation. 

 

As a survivor and one of many victims of the same abuser who carried out his deeds across multiple boy scout troops, what gives the BSA, my LC and CO any right to complain about anything. PERIOD!

 I did go to the police and my case was turned over to a unit that specializes in the exploitation of children. And when law enforcement came knocking at BSA's and my LC's doors, they were told nothing to see here detectives. Guess what...24 years later I learned through this bankruptcy, BSA and my LC banned my abuser from scouting 11 years prior to me reporting him to law enforcement. So my path to justice as well as other victims was purposely obstructed and as a result "our" abuser never faced one day in court or served one day in jail for his crimes. Nor will he since he has departed this life as we know it.

It disgusts me to read posts on this forum complaining why aren't abusers being held directly accountable. You can personally shake the hands of BSA and my LC for their purposeful grievous omission which allowed a legitimate pedophile, whose path of destruction was spread far and wide, to escape justice. 

Isn't it ironic, 24 years later I get to watch BSA, my LC and CO squabble and squawk about not getting a fair deal under this re-organization plan. I keep hearing phrases like, "we're going to run out of money," or "there will be never be enough money," or the line "what about the future of scouting."  Yet, aren't these the same sentiments the BSA and my LC used to justify their actions to not share adverse information with law enforcement about my abuser. WAKE UP! As far as I am concerned, BSA, my LC and CO are just as guilty as my abuser. They might not have physically penetrated me but they sure did pierce my soul with their lack of humanity and callousness. And now, they are trying to do it again...

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is truly a sad and upsetting scenario you present, though we still do not know why authorities chose to not pursue it.  Neither here nor there, somehow the banning, which apparently WAS filed in the IV files did not show as he moved, or locals had no clear reason to suspect so they simply did not check with the resources in use at the time.  And BSA has admitted that mistakes were made and poor decisions as well.  I certainly am not condoning or forgiving those mistakes, only pointing out that they are convoluted over time and are being viewed through more than one mirror.  IT should not have happened that way, just as so many similar incidents likely should not have occurred in other parts of the community over time.  That does NOT take away from the generally safer environment of BSA, especially in the window of the era.  Why someone beyond BSA did not follow through might be asked, but it does not make the wrong right, only less clear as to WHY.  

We cannot fix the past, but we can make the future better.  And, just as the medical profession has evolved and become safer and continues to do so, it has made many errors both in judgments and in practice.  That does not mean we should throw it away, only continue to monitor and work to use the tools at hand.  Similarly Law enforcement.  Few really think we should throw out the police, only find ways to make them better.  And both of these enitities have continued to make errors and poor decisions.  And today, they more often are held accountible in some manner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BadChannel70 said:

Below is a post I made a while back on this forum regarding this issue. You can now include the Roman Catholic Archdiocese since they also withheld information from the police but also sided with "our" abuser which resulted in 1 survivor/scout/classmate getting kicked out of BSA.  This is why a judge granted us the ability to seek "punitive damages" and not just compensatory damages. There is a big difference between the too. In my case, my abuse was 200% preventable but BSA, the LC and Archdiocese were too concerned about their prestige and reputation. 

 

As a survivor and one of many victims of the same abuser who carried out his deeds across multiple boy scout troops, what gives the BSA, my LC and CO any right to complain about anything. PERIOD!

 I did go to the police and my case was turned over to a unit that specializes in the exploitation of children. And when law enforcement came knocking at BSA's and my LC's doors, they were told nothing to see here detectives. Guess what...24 years later I learned through this bankruptcy, BSA and my LC banned my abuser from scouting 11 years prior to me reporting him to law enforcement. So my path to justice as well as other victims was purposely obstructed and as a result "our" abuser never faced one day in court or served one day in jail for his crimes. Nor will he since he has departed this life as we know it.

It disgusts me to read posts on this forum complaining why aren't abusers being held directly accountable. You can personally shake the hands of BSA and my LC for their purposeful grievous omission which allowed a legitimate pedophile, whose path of destruction was spread far and wide, to escape justice. 

Isn't it ironic, 24 years later I get to watch BSA, my LC and CO squabble and squawk about not getting a fair deal under this re-organization plan. I keep hearing phrases like, "we're going to run out of money," or "there will be never be enough money," or the line "what about the future of scouting."  Yet, aren't these the same sentiments the BSA and my LC used to justify their actions to not share adverse information with law enforcement about my abuser. WAKE UP! As far as I am concerned, BSA, my LC and CO are just as guilty as my abuser. They might not have physically penetrated me but they sure did pierce my soul with their lack of humanity and callousness. And now, they are trying to do it again...

 

So the BSA told the police there was nothing to see so the police just dropped the case?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to watch. But it's necessary. The stories are told in a way and with a degree of detail that I haven't seen or heard previously, not in a more graphic way but as it relates to how the victims were impacted at the time and throughout their lives afterwards. And still today. And what the BSA was doing about it at the time.

And the lengths to which a shockingly large number of people at various levels from CO to National worked to cover up abuse. Even making up stories about why some abusers suddenly left their positions, but still fully documenting that these people were committing felony abuse, but being let off the hook.

It was really interesting to see victim's reactions to some of the documentation from the BSA and/or COs when dismissing abusers. They knew how bad these guys were, and they protected them from any and all exposure, even to other families within the troop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I stated before, I cannot make real comment unless I see the actual video.  Where can we actually see it?  I have seen no link as yet, only the intro?  Way too many questions without actually viewing it.  Glad to see your comment about "various levels", though I truly want to know how many others outside of CO or National chose to be part of the poor response or no response, as seems suggested?  Again, we are dealing with different periods of history and different societal responses to what today is noted as unacceptible, period.  Any lack of responsible actions is now seen as it should have been then, but often was not.  Who besides the CO or Natiopnal or LC also knew but made decisions at the time?  

Back to the balance and perspective thing.  The farther back in time we go, the more vague and skewed perspectives get.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, skeptic said:

As I stated before, I cannot make real comment unless I see the actual video.  Where can we actually see it?  I have seen no link as yet, only the intro?  Way too many questions without actually viewing it.  Glad to see your comment about "various levels", though I truly want to know how many others outside of CO or National chose to be part of the poor response or no response, as seems suggested?  Again, we are dealing with different periods of history and different societal responses to what today is noted as unacceptible, period.  Any lack of responsible actions is now seen as it should have been then, but often was not.  Who besides the CO or Natiopnal or LC also knew but made decisions at the time?  

Back to the balance and perspective thing.  The farther back in time we go, the more vague and skewed perspectives get.  

 

If you don't have Hulu you can sign up for a free trial (be sure to end it) or pay a month's fee. You can also pay to watch it on the Tribeca Film Festival site I believe for the next couple days. It's $15. That's where I saw it. It's playing in some theaters but those are mostly in major cities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, yknot said:

If you don't have Hulu you can sign up for a free trial (be sure to end it) or pay a month's fee. You can also pay to watch it on the Tribeca Film Festival site I believe for the next couple days. It's $15. That's where I saw it. It's playing in some theaters but those are mostly in major cities. 

Will review the Hulu option, but I will NOT pay for what appears from the intro to be a biased hit piece simply preying on people to make money.  IF they were to guarantee all their profits from this endeavor were to go to the Trust, I might have a different view.  But the cost should be offset by their backers and advertisers, not by average Joe that just want a clearer perspective on the subject.  JMHO of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, skeptic said:

Will review the Hulu option, but I will NOT pay for what appears from the intro to be a biased hit piece simply preying on people to make money.  IF they were to guarantee all their profits from this endeavor were to go to the Trust, I might have a different view. 

Oh, my. This is a VERY troubling, angry, reactive and clearly prejudicial statement sans confirmed facts. “Book. Cover. Etc.”  Who are you speaking of regarding disgorging profits? I find that very close to the line of utterly absurd. Are you indicting those watch the film? Want some money from Ron Howard and Brian Glazer? They have gobs of money. You have NOT even watched it. Are you interested in the truth? Truth requires humbly receiving and assessing all data. I came to this forum because I’m interested in that precious outcome and in contributing to it. This is troubling. Is an effort to understand others’ views worthless? $15 is a piece of pie and cup-o joe. Yikes…

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...