"Leave No Trace" - BSA Documentary

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A moderator reminder, members can express their differing, diverse opinions in a courteous, kind, and helpful (scoutlike) manner and receive the same in discussion. Opinions can be right, wrong, infor

Please do not speak for survivors. Frankly you are way underqualified and have a bias against survivors views.

Directed by Irene Taylor, Executive Producer Brian Grazer & Ron Howard Streaming on Hulu & release scheduled in New York & LA June 16 Will focus on alleged century-long sexual ab

2 hours ago, johnsch322 said:

It is a shame these documentaries did not come out 18 months ago. It may have put more public awareness and helped survivors in the bankruptcy settlements.

That’s an interesting supposition. But, I think this is a reversal of causality. Without the discovery intrinsic to bankruptcy, such documentaries would be chalked up by many as “gotcha” journalism and constitute another few months of survivors not being believed. The collective response of survivors has done far more heavy lifting than any collection of documentaries.

As to journalistic quality. I think that’s a non-issue. More people can easily produce content without the editorial oversight of a media conglomerate. I find that to be a good thing.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

causality

Obscure word but I did look it up...cause and effect. 18 months ago the bankruptcy was filed but there wasn't a tremendous amount of knowledge outside of the scouting community who were actually aware. I believe this has worked in BSA and the insurers favor. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone point me to some guidance on how to communicate with my troop to address the recent publication of this program or the others that will likely follow?  While it's easy to share good news, it's honest to share the bad news as well so it can be openly discussed.

Bob

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Trabucchi said:

Can anyone point me to some guidance on how to communicate with my troop to address the recent publication of this program or the others that will likely follow?  While it's easy to share good news, it's honest to share the bad news as well so it can be openly discussed.

Bob

Just stick with facts you know.

You are not (I think) a spokesperson for BSA, so be up front about that.  Any ideas you communicate are your own and not the position of BSA or your council on the matter.

If you want to have something to relay regarding BSA's position, reach out to your DE and SE for your council's talking points.

Then, please be so kind as to share them here.

3 hours ago, Trabucchi said:

Bob

I think most of the councils sent out a version of a letter that must have come from National. It didn't say much and was along the lines of this: 

https://www.bsacac.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Statement-on-Hulu-film.pdf

• Thanks 2