What is Cub Scouts in simplest form.

What is Cub Scouts?

Talking to a parent I can go on about what Cub Scouts is. However, I'm putting together a PowerPoint for new families gearing towards my audience being children. This PowerPoint will be sent to our two schools from Council for recruitment night. I personally wanted to do this myself being I know my Pack better then anyone and can give reliable information about what we have done and what we have planned. 

So my question is how would you break down what Cub Scouts is to a child in simplest form. But also keeping it exciting. 

Everything I keep putting together sounds like I'm talking to a parent. 

Edited by RookieScouter

The point that is often missed and has been forgotten is WHY  Scouting was created. WHY Dens, WHY Patrols..

It is a natural phenomena for kids to create "gangs", "clubs" among themselves.   In a neighborhood, a school,  a bunch of cousins,,,  the kids will gravitate together for ball games, recess running around, jungle gym climbing....    These "gangs" will find natural leaders among themselves, some kid (girl or boy !) that , by dint of will, becomes the axle around which the other kids  rotate. If this "leader" has a poor example at home, if they glory in the attention they get by doing "SOMETHING", that  something might become the excitement of hearing broken glass, or seeing mailboxes clatter when hit by a baseball bat, or something worse. 

The Scout Den, the Scout Patrol was traditionally the neighborhood school group.  You saw them at school, you saw them across the street and you met in each other's backyard or basement recroom. Together, you visited the firehouse, the movie house, the bowling alley. You visited the park, hiked the trail together, found out what Poison Ivy was (the hard way). The moms and dads took you and your buds to the county fair together, to the school dance, the football game.  You grew up together. 

When Scouting became a BLING concern, this formal/informal "gang" idea went by the wayside.  The BLING was originally a means to a purpose. "A game with a purpose. " The kid Scout gained skill, pride of accomplishment in constructive ways to gain attention.   Only as an adult do we (I ?) now see, realize this purpose. Our parents , maybe unconsciously, realized the idea of giving us a GOOD gang to belong to, rather than the "other" kind. 

THAT is what Cub Scouts need to be about. The "GOOD GANG", but  for heaven's sake don't tell your kids that....  All the kid needs to know is that because of the way the parent treats them, they love the Cub. Why? Because the parent takes them interesting places, does fun, interesting things with them. Applauds their successes  (BLING !) and helps them thru their trials ( Do Your Best !).   For many a parent, Cub Scouting is as much their education as it is the Cubs. 

That is what you need to show the Cub.  The fun stuff.  That is what you need to show the parent. The REAL fun stuff, seeing your Cub smile at overcoming new childsize challenges (tie a bowline?) and the parent realizing that this young future citizen will soon enough be overcoming larger challenges (what Assisted Living Facility to put mom in?)....

See you on the trail....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

KISMIF: Keep it simple, make it fun... Check the national videos for ideas or just use those. Show or talk about kids having fun, making friends, earning badges and going on field trips plus camping... Field sports interest most cub age kids, archery and bb ranges are exciting. 

• Upvote 1

I'd talk about the skills that kids don't usually get trusted with. In Cub Scouts, you come together with a group of friends to learn new things. You have a leader and your parents to help you along the way, but as you grow in Cub Scouts you'll learn to set up tents, use knives, cook with fire, shoot with a bow and a bb gun, and more. You'll learn these skills while having a great time, and by the time you are in middle school, you'll be working on planning your own adventure with your friends.

• Upvote 1