18 hours ago, Spatulate said:

I also wonder if different units have varying policies on this topic (?) 

They do. That's why you want a written policy everyone understands. We used to treat scout accounts as property of the scout until we looked more closely at the law. Then it became you had to use the money for scout-like activities. Finally, it had to be scout activities. Given the cost of camping it was never an issue for active scouts, it only caused problems for scouts that left early and didn't enjoy camping.

• Thanks 2

Y'all are the best, many thanks. 

It seems our options are:

1) have families determine which is their primary unit 

2-a) If the other unit is the primary unit, send checks to that unit treasurer for these scouts  OR 2-b) Keep balance of what is currently in their Scout accounts with our unit. 

Have I distilled it down correctly

😀

19 hours ago, SSScout said:

InquisitiveScouter is spot on.  Scout Accounts were a bad idea from the get go. Complicates things. Integrity. A Scout is Trustworthy.  

Scout stuff only, never personal stuff,  The moneys can never be viewed as a "COMMISSION" for raising funds for the Unit. The money is the units, and thereby the CO's . Period. 

Scout leaves Scouting? Money is the units. Scout transfers to another unit?  The money is the "original" unit's. They could send it to the new unit, but I have often seen them not. 

One Scout I am aware of saved up all his SA, and when he Eagled out.... He bought the Troop a new custom painted trailer.  

WOW and kudos to that Eagle Scout's generosity!

Does it matter that all funds in their accounts were raised under prior CO (with whom we had a charter for eight years until February of this year)? We have a temporary charter now with Council, but I am working on a new charter with our local YMCA. When we lost our former charter, the CO signed an agreement to retain all funds (and we hope to get back to chartering with them one day).

A related comment:

I respect what is being said about integrity, Scout Accounts being a bad idea, Scouts not being able to learn about the value of money earned, etc, etc. Does that mean most units do not have SA and all fundraising simply goes into the unit's general fund? Or is divided evenly somehow amongst all of the unit Scouts? I am trying to figure out the relationship between fundraised income and scouts using funds (from where) for scout-related purchases. As in, how to other units manage the money side of things when it comes to designating money for individal scouts?

Thanks for bearing with my many questions!

20 minutes ago, Spatulate said:

Does that mean most units do not have SA and all fundraising simply goes into the unit's general fund? Or is divided evenly somehow amongst all of the unit Scouts? I am trying to figure out the relationship between fundraised income and scouts using funds (from where) for scout-related purchases. As in, how to other units manage the money side of things when it comes to designating money for individal scouts?

Ask fifty different unit leaders this question, and you'll get fifty different opinions and ways of doing it 😜

We do one big fundraiser a year.  The Troop splits the proceeds earned by each Scout 60-40.  60% goes to the Troop, 40% to the Scout.  This is an incentive for Scouts to get out and support the fundraiser.

About 75% of our Scouts do this.

About 25% of our families choose our "buyout" option.  That is, they can choose not to participate in the fundraising activity, and pay a set amount (I think last year's was $75) into the Troop general fund.

A handful of our Scouts have entirely funded their years in Scouting this way...the parent's haven't had to pay a dime.  It is a great opportunity.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Ask fifty different unit leaders this question, and you'll get fifty different opinions and ways of doing it 😜

We do one big fundraiser a year. 
————————————————

Our fundraisers are many: Christmas tree recycling, spaghetti dinner and auction, lawn aeration, fruit sales…

We are on a journey to streamline and simplify the finance side of things while maintaining IRS compliance, yay! 

Edited by Spatulate
Clarity