How Mrs. Bobcat got her mink stole.

Credit: Colin Chase and Bangor Daily News

"This video highlights just how raw nature is. Animals have to eat to survive, and this very pregnant bobcat is an apex predator. (As a top predator the bobcat is at, or near, the top of the food chain. This position on the bobcat food chain is a critical one, because the bobcat exerts what is known as “top-down control” of ecosystems. Bobcats and other predators help to keep ecosystems balanced.) In this video you can see that she stalks and kills a large male mink. Mink is also a predator, yet they are a mesopredator. (A mesopredator is a mid-ranking predator in the middle of a trophic level, which typically preys on smaller animals). This is how the food chain works in nature. It's somewhat rare to observe an interaction such as this. I am very excited to have captured this. "

39 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

How Mrs. Bobcat got her mink stole.

Credit: Colin Chase and Bangor Daily News

"This video highlights just how raw nature is. Animals have to eat to survive, and this very pregnant bobcat is an apex predator. (As a top predator the bobcat is at, or near, the top of the food chain. This position on the bobcat food chain is a critical one, because the bobcat exerts what is known as “top-down control” of ecosystems. Bobcats and other predators help to keep ecosystems balanced.) In this video you can see that she stalks and kills a large male mink. Mink is also a predator, yet they are a mesopredator. (A mesopredator is a mid-ranking predator in the middle of a trophic level, which typically preys on smaller animals). This is how the food chain works in nature. It's somewhat rare to observe an interaction such as this. I am very excited to have captured this. "

Is that your video? That is very cool. Love bobcats. The rare glimpses I've had are treasured. 

20 minutes ago, yknot said:

Is that your video? That is very cool. Love bobcats. The rare glimpses I've had are treasured.

This is Colin Chase's video who summited it to the Bangor Daily News which then posted on Youtube where I saw it.

https://bangordailynews.com/2022/05/14/outdoors/bobcat-killing-a-mink-caught-on-a-maine-trail-cam-joam40zk0w/

More on Colin Chase and his nature videos are reported at this link:

https://bangordailynews.com/2022/05/12/outdoors/a-maine-mans-perfect-filming-spots-joam40zk0w/

Edited by RememberSchiff