how do you work together with your charter organization?

I am a new scoutmaster. Been on for about a year. The old scoutmaster pretty much said here you are and bailed on me. Our troop has zero interaction with our charter organization. I have recently started trying to reach out to them with no luck. Our charter rep tried to reach out with the same results. Funny thing is when we rechartered someone over there approved it.  We have had offers from other organizations wanting to charter us if the other one drops us. If things don't change, we may have to look at leaving them for someone who will actually support us. I know it's a give and take situation. I don't know if the previous scoutmaster damaged the relationship or what?

I'm just wondering What do you and your charter do for each other? 

For one, we talk to each other. While they're showing you no interest might not be bad, communication can head of surprises. One thing you don't want with your CO is a surprise.

We also did service projects for our CO or just helped with their projects. Again, that's part of the communication.

A roof over our heads and place to store our stuff without charging rent! If we have that, we’re happy.

Our boys keep the place tidy and when asked will do some heavy lifting (as in getting the old linoleum tile off the floor). Maybe folks call the latter a service project … around here we call it ‘redding up’. They run a food pantry and we collect for it. We also participate in scout Sunday service.

The CoR makes sure her chore night is on our meeting night and drops by to chat regularly.

It would be nice to arrange a meeting with the institution head the CoR, CC and yourself. If that doesn’t happen, make sure you touch base with the most significant person in the organization: the janitor. The boys need to know everything that needs to be done to keep the building in perfect condition. That starts at the janitor’s closet and works outward!

Jon -

Our old process - no interaction with the chartered org, no one ever met the Chartered org Executive Officer, our COR was not familiar with responsibilities a chartered organization had, new adult volunteers were not signed off by Chartered organization or COR.

Our new process (much improved!) - we followed the BSA process.  I asked for an active Executive Officer; made the COR aware of their responsibilities to review and approve all adult volunteers, met for the first time with our new Executive Officer (he is an Eagle Scout from 1970's and happy he was asked to help out) ... the Scouts are now actively doing service projects for the chartered organization (they just put in a community garden for the church -- the church was extremely happy for the help!).

I'd really recommend to build a bridge with your Chartered organization.  If you read on these forums or the BSA charters that they sign, they really should be actively involved, they own the Troop unless you have a facilities use only agreement.  The responsibilities go beyond just the building meeting space - they should be actively approving your adult volunteers, reviewing the Troop financials, supporting the training program for the adult volunteers, etc.

Chris