New from Northeastern Nebraska

Hi all just thought I would introduce myself here. I was big into scouting as a kid but left in 1989 at the age of 16. We were lower income family and I had to get a job. Fast forward to 2021 and I get thrown into being the new scoutmaster. I wanted my boys to learn and have fun like I did. The old leader said He's done. If nobody takes over the troop will close. The past year has been very stressful, the transition was really hard. The old scoutmaster was burned out and the transfer of the troop has been very rough. 

Even though the troop just kind of floated through the last year I have gotten a pretty good team assembled. I have a committee chair and a good assistant scoutmaster. I also have support of the parents. That is huge.   The old leader did everything himself. There was no committee chair, no assist scoutmaster, no advancement chair and he never went to round table. He is a really good guy I have known him personally for many years. He just burned himself out. 

I am currently taking woodbage. I see this summer as a turning point for the troop. I have some pretty good goals set and am determined to meet them.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the ecampfire. Pull ye up a elog and sit ye down, friend.

I bet ye already know the Scoutmaster's list of mottos:

"Have you asked your Patrol Leader?"

"Try ketchup on it."

"Yes, campfires are supposed to do that."  

Kudos on stepping into the role to enable the scouts to keep benefiting from the program.  It's a lot of work in general, even more when you're taking over cold turkey.  Hopefully you will get as much out of it as the scouts, despite the work - I hope you have a ton of fun!