2 minutes ago, OaklandAndy said:

Absolutely! I actual volunteer with the Feeder Pack but I never did Scouting growing up so I have no idea what all I should be expecting or how things work at the Troop Level. 

Have you complete the Youth Protection Training online??

Edited by InquisitiveScouter

I'll add my 2 cents about camping. One reason scouts say no about anything is they don't have a fun idea to grab onto. If someone asks if they want to go camping they could easily say no but if they're asked if they want to go on a campout, spend the morning playing a new game that covers a few acres, have a Dutch oven dessert competition and hang out with their friends, they might be more interested.

It is boy led, but also adult encouraged. They may need help coming up with good ideas.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, OaklandAndy said:

They talked about doing a campout yesterday, but there wasn't much interest from the troop. Before that, I'm not sure when the last time they went camping is and don't want to speculate and make it seem like they are inactive out of ignorance. 

My experience is you have to start having the events / activities for people to become interested.  Find at least one thing interesting ...  example we're going to hike to the highest point in the state ... explore a cave ... go down a mountain biking trail ... ... ... scouts will hear interesting things and then sign up.  few will pre-emptively say they are interested until they start recognizing the cool adventures. 

Also, do you or your friends or family have a big old field nearby that a troop may camp on?

Naming a few weekends where you might be available to go there with the troop could be a great way to provide everyone options.

But don’t just think about camping. Our schedules are booked for this month,  so we can’t fit an overnight in. The SM, however, is conditioning for a hiking club challenge, so we’re planing a meet-up at a local park to accompany him on one of his warm-up hikes.

Memorial Day is coming up fast. Maybe there are ceremonies you all could be in. There are certainly cemeteries where flags might still need to be put up or markers need to be cleaned. If you’re from my hometown, I’d be deeply touched if a stranger left a small wreath at my dad or aunt’s and uncle’s marker. I have a friend who does that with her kids for a different marker every year and it warms my heart. At the very least, you all could walk around town to learn about any memorials you may have.

Obviously, I’m using this by way of example. But, if there’s something close to your and your scout’s heart, see if you can share it and bring a few more scouts and leaders in.

If that’s successful, you may ask us about the gory details of advancement given that knowledge that you really have extended your scouting family!