What did your unit do to get outdoors this past weekend?

We camped at Resica Falls Scout Reservation this weekend.  Opted for cabin camping because we had all of our newest scouts camping, but only a single First Class scout (my own son who just barely turned 14).  We hiked, but the reservation also had a life-sized foosball pen and a gaga pit, which the scouts loved.  The rest of the time they spent hanging out in hammocks and exploring one of the many, many streams that feed into the river.

In March I ran an orienteering event that I'd been working on for a VERY long time.  Making the map took forever (and took a lot of trips out to the area, so I got lots of outdoor time).  Of course - always the way things seem to go - I found open-source software that helps you make an orienteering map once mine was 90% done.  Parents manned each 'control' (checkpoint) since this was our first ever time trying the event.  Staggered the start times and sent out three teams of scouts.   They had a blast!!  The youngest scouts were very excited to be heading out to the woods without adults accompanying them.

We're headed to Gettysburg next month, then Citta Scout Reservation near the Jersey Shore for cowboy action shooting and sea kayaking in June.  Also in June I'm planning a 'Scouting Experience Day' - part recruiting event and partly something fun for the scouts and the community to do.  Going to have two teams of scouts have a trebuchet building contest early in the day, then will use them as part of the community event.  

• Upvote 2

We camped in a local county park and did rock climbing.  (Our local climbing gym has group rates.)

Other than climbing for about five hours Saturday afternoon, lights out at 10, and a Scout's Own on Sunday morning, we had no scheduled events.  Just hanging around in hammocks, building fires, cooking meals, etc.  For those Scouts who wished to work on other advancement, older Scouts and adults were available for requirements.

We were all outdoors, as the weather was absolutely beautiful.  About half of our Scouts slept under the stars...no tents.  (Sorry, but there is no such thing a "camping" in a cabin :) )

We had to have several attempts at washing dishes, with a review of proper dishwashing outlined in the Scout Handbook...

• Upvote 3

Went to a nearby park for what my unit calls "BSA 101" targeted at the younger scouts. The goal is primarily to replace a lot of the Dan Boone Hill classes that most first year scouts get directed into at summer camp. The three youngest scouts all got through the last of tenderfoot and a good chunk of 2nd class. It also helps keep the unit together on procedures like how we handle the dining fly, the chuck box, etc. And since covid really slowed us down, it was a good chance to refresh everyone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Camped at a state park.  The troop built survival kits, we built 'boats out of boxes, painters tarps and duct tape and there was a race.  Also played putt putt, and also ran a cross country compass course.  The weather was perfect and much hammocking.

When we got back on Sunday had an afternoon Eagle Court of Honor for 5 of our recent Eagle scouts

Edited by Jameson76
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Many members of our Troop went to a National Guard base 128th air refueling wing to tour and earn aviation merit badge (the airplanes were outdoors).  Next weekend, we have a backpacking trip ... only 5 scouts out of 44 signed up.  We have more adults interested than scouts...

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Many members of our Troop went to a National Guard base 128th air refueling wing to tour and earn aviation merit badge (the airplanes were outdoors).  Next weekend, we have a backpacking trip ... only 5 scouts out of 44 signed up.  We have more adults interested than scouts...

Even if you only have two Scouts, go!!

And, did you learn anything interesting about the KC-135R??  (I flew them 😝)

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Even if you only have two Scouts, go!!

And, did you learn anything interesting about the KC-135R??  (I flew them 😝)

We absolutely will.

I didn't attend but the scouts had a blast.  My son told me that they date back to the 1950s (?) and they hold up better than commercial planes as there are less flight hours and more time spent on maintenance.  The engines were GE and 1980s vintage. Also, I didn't know that the fuel they provide comes from the planes fuel tanks (they basically share their own fuel).   He took a ton of pics on the planes including the lay down position for refueling.

It was supposed to be a young eagle's event but too windy.  

Neat!

Yes, these tankers were made primarily to refuel our Cold War bomber fleet.

At the end of the Cold War, we began using them for contingencies and conflicts like Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.  The tanker fleet is a crown jewel in our national ability to project power around the world.

The saying is NKAWTG!!  Nobody kicks a## without tanker gas

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 1

It's a canoeing spring - March was a day trip to clean up a local creek with canoes - 17 bags of garbage.  April was a short paddle from a major spring 5 miles down river.  May will be swimming and water sports at a local lake, and June will be a 2 night river paddle.  Nothing but a sliding rock for Summer Camp in July, along with backpacking, climbing, mountain biking and random acts of Scouting.

• Upvote 2