On my Honor - Documentary on BSA Sex Abuse Scandal

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to apologize for me cussing in my comment last week.I let my anger take control of my response.Please accept my apology.I don't want Scouts to shutdown.Even though I was abused I've seen a lot

I think this is the wrong way to look at the problem and is the source of a lot of angst here. Rather than ask for a specific failure rate that is acceptable, after which everyone can say there is no

Youth members also use this forum, can we please keep the conversations and language respectful of that? Scouting is local, always has been, always will be. And locally, most units operate withou

Posted Images

If this is picked up by Netflix it will get a major audience.  If it stays on a website, its distribution will be limited.  I'll have to see the whole documentary before I pass judgement, but BSA should be prepared to respond.

If the trailer is any indication of the entire video, the "producers" have gone out of their way to focus on the worst, and ignore anything else from over a century of Scouting.  And, the people in the trailer are seemingly chosen to look sleazy as adults, and helpless as children.  Anyone that rad the book by the same name, should see similarities.  This too is a dark reflection on our society, well beyond Scouting.  We see little of the positive in the media, obviously simply preying on the worst and seldom if ever putting positive things in the forefront.  Meanwhile, so called Reality TV and such make sleaziness and crudeness somehow okay, often in the same media that is pushing the sensational, even if it is only a small piece of the larger stories.

We are living in a very sick society, and it is made worse by our apparent fascination with the worst rather than the best, especially in the media.  The really sad thing is that it is likely to simply make things worse, as suggested here.  

Somehow, crassness is okay as long as it is bleeped in TV.  Crude and often once considered foul language is shrugged off by most today.  I challenge anyone here to be the proverbial "fly on the wall" within school out of class groups, or in many offices and listen to what type of language and stories are being shared casually, somehow considered okay.  

Yes, as had been beat to death, BSA and a minority of its adult and likely youth members, that we do not actually hear much about, have made poor decisions and even a few majorly blatant abuses.  But, it is NOT the larger picture, and even the nay sayers surely understand that.  What is it about our society that finds it necessary to try to destroy things, even as they look the other way a often worse actions?  

Tighten the barriers and the oversight, by all means.  But stop with the burning down the forest.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

If this is picked up by Netflix it will get a major audience. 

It has not.  Netflix has contracted another production company not mentioned here to produce a documentary.  Delivery date as I understand is January 1.  Netflix has been VERY active in covering abuse-related stories.  Besides their coverage of the USA Gymnastics horrors they recently released a documentary on Jimmy Saville.  If you haven't seen it I recommend it.  It is a textbook example of how our institutions turn a blind eye and fail those in the shadows.  As well, Netflix has created a website: https://www.wannatalkaboutit.com/sexual-violence/

The reality is that no one was going to dive too deeply into the BSA story until there was some degree of resolution.  With the bankruptcy coming to some sort of end it allows stories to have finality of some sort even if not for Survivors.  We live in a time when streaming services are HUNGRY for content.  I have heard of three pieces now in production and I have no doubt there will be many more.  Bankruptcy was the loud explosion that drew a lot of attention and made many question their children's participation.  Streaming media coverage will be the echo that will repeat several times over.

37 minutes ago, skeptic said:

Yes, as had been beat to death, BSA and a minority of its adult and likely youth members, that we do not actually hear much about, have made poor decisions and even a few majorly blatant abuses.  But, it is NOT the larger picture, and even the nay sayers surely understand that.  What is it about our society that finds it necessary to try to destroy things, even as they look the other way a often worse actions?  

Tighten the barriers and the oversight, by all means.  But stop with the burning down the forest.

Santayana said "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  I suspect a large portion of the  82,500 Survivors disagree with you and want every piece of what happened to them known and remembered.  In so doing we have the best chance of seeing that it isn't repeated.  If the BSA can't withstand now the mistakes of the past decades then it has brought that upon itself and Society TODAY is going to be the the judge of that.

• Upvote 1

Until I find the real video and see it I cannot make judgment beyond the blatantly sensationalized trailer.  But, the only thing I see is another case of using the survivors to make money, by prolonging their already overtaxed.  As far as your number goes, we all should by now understand that a large number of those are very possibly not accurate, or simply not real.  Until they actually vet them, we will not know.  And for some reason, there appears to be a great many of the lawyers that would prefer that did not happen.  Just my observation of course.  And it appears that Netflix is also going to push this, again for profit since they will likely sensationalize it really well.  What do I know.  I am a product of the twentieth century and a society that still published stories of positive community things and at least made an effort to not allow blatnat cruedness and foul language.  

Another thing on the net earlier today is a short thing publicizing the "first" openly Gay executive in Scouting.  Now why is that important, especially in the focus on the new merit badge?

14 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

Streaming media coverage will be the echo that will repeat several times over.

I think many folks view the resolution of the bankruptcy case as some kind of reset date but in reality it will only be the beginning. 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, skeptic said:

If the trailer is any indication of the entire video, the "producers" have gone out of their way to focus on the worst, and ignore anything else from over a century of Scouting.  And, the people in the trailer are seemingly chosen to look sleazy as adults, and helpless as children.  Anyone that rad the book by the same name, should see similarities.  This too is a dark reflection on our society, well beyond Scouting.  We see little of the positive in the media, obviously simply preying on the worst and seldom if ever putting positive things in the forefront.  Meanwhile, so called Reality TV and such make sleaziness and crudeness somehow okay, often in the same media that is pushing the sensational, even if it is only a small piece of the larger stories.

We are living in a very sick society, and it is made worse by our apparent fascination with the worst rather than the best, especially in the media.  The really sad thing is that it is likely to simply make things worse, as suggested here.  

Somehow, crassness is okay as long as it is bleeped in TV.  Crude and often once considered foul language is shrugged off by most today.  I challenge anyone here to be the proverbial "fly on the wall" within school out of class groups, or in many offices and listen to what type of language and stories are being shared casually, somehow considered okay.  

You know man don't blame this ..stuff on the producers or anyone else.

THE FACT IS BOY SCOUTS COVERED THIS UP FOR OVER 100 YEARS FOR THEIR OWN GREED.SINCE THIS BANKRUPTCY STARTED ITS BEEN VERY LITTLE MEDIA COVERAGE ABOUT THIS.YOU SAY THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT THE GOOD OF THE SCOUTS JUST BAD.THIS IS ABOUT US VICTIMS WHO WERE RAPED, HAD OUR LIFE RIPPED FROM US AT A VERY YOUNG AGE. YOU DAMN RIGHT THIS FILM IS ABOUT THE MOST HORRIFIC THINGS THAT COULD HAPPEN TO A KID SO YOU AND NOBODY ELSE CAN TELL ME SCOUTS ARE GOOD.I HAVE 40 YEARS OF PURE HELL TO SAY AINT ONE DAMN THING GOOD ABOUT THE BOY SCOUTS.THEY CHOSE NOT TO PROTECT BECAUSE THEY ARE MORE WORRIED ABOUT A DOLLAR. WE DIDNT ASK FOR THIS .AND I HOPE THIS GETS PLENTY OF RECOGNITION. YOUR BASICALLY SAYING TO SWEEP IT UNDER THE RUG WHEN YOU SAID THE PRODUCERS DIDNT INCLUDE THE GOOD.WHATS GOOD ABOUT THE SCOUTS COVERING THIS UP FOR 100 YEARS?THEY PREACH THE SCOUT LAWS BUT AT THE SAME TIME NOT FOLLOWING THE VERY THING THEY PREACH TO US. AINT NO HONOR,TRUTH,TRUSTWORTHY.

YOU SHOW THE HONOR IN WHAT THEY DID TO US SURVIVORS.

Edited by RememberSchiff
Cleaned and clarified language, typos ~RS
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, PaleRider said:

If the trailer is any indication of the entire video, the "producers" have gone out of their way to focus on the worst, and ignore anything else from over a century of Scouting.  And, the people in the trailer are seemingly chosen to look sleazy as adults, and helpless as children. 

By your reasoning of showing only the bad /worst where were the Norman Rockwell Boys Life covers with little Johnny being molested or the stories within Boys Life of how to cope with ... abuse? Oh yeah that's right they only wanted to show the best and most wholesome because that is what sold subscriptions and helped recruitment which kept BSA professionals paid.  And they knew that abuse was happening for over a century of scouting. 

Edited by RememberSchiff
...Removed some graphic detail RS
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

It is simply sad that there is so much hate being displayed by a few on here.  I have not ever suggested even that the abuse that happened was okay or should not be addressed.  But I have said, and still point out that the level of sensationalism and exaggeration is beyond logic.  That is especially in regard to the continued claims that BSA never did anything about it, when as has been noted enough times, they did more than was usual in those earlier years.  They made huge errors, and they should be held accountable.  But it was not the doing of the larger organization nor a larger percentage of members.  It was the doing of people that took advantage of opportunity, and often was made worse by the scocietal norms of the time.  Are you going to spend as much time maligning the authorities that also would not bring charges, or the families that chose to not make things public?  If not, then you are hypocrits.  As at least a couple of survivors have said on here, this whole media circus has made their pain worse, especially those that had to some extent found a little less of it over time.🙁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2