Chapter 11 Announced - Part 10 - Post Confirmation Hearing/Judges Ruling

21 hours ago, MYCVAStory said:

There's a "status Conference" Friday because sometimes there are agreements that need finalizing or language changed. 

If memory serves the issue before the judge Friday is the sale of the scouting service center or something relatively minor.  There might be an update on the ch. 11 confirmation, but probably not.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A friend contacted me privately, concerned I've not been posting. He knows I am on all the hearings and was checking in on me. Honestly, Eagle1993 does such an excellent job I had little to add. My at

Thanks for mentioning that.  Probably a good time for me to pop back up.  I just want to say thanks to everyone who participates on this and other forums (Fora?).  I take my role on the TCC seriously

I hope you find some peace.  For me, the start of the bankruptcy and having to address the abuse again was difficult. But, I went back to therapy and found some other people with similar experien

Posted Images

It's regarding the sale of the National Distribution Center in Cahrlotte, NC. BSA is selling it and then leasing it back. Proceeds go to the trust fund, subject to certain limits, depending on the amount of cash BSA has as of the effective date (I think).

• Thanks 1

@InquisitiveScouter,

Pretty much. At the town hall meeting I went to, I made comments and folks in the know, or should have been in the know, were either shocked or shocked and angered that I knew as much as I did on the trial.

When discussing matters from the trial, specifically the Churchill Plan and their plan to limit the number of councils, get rid of "excess" camps, and cap the upper age limit to 18 for all programs with a council level volunteer, I was told I was spreading rumors.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
7 minutes ago, ScouterDavid said:

It's regarding the sale of the National Distribution Center in Cahrlotte, NC. BSA is selling it and then leasing it back. Proceeds go to the trust fund, subject to certain limits, depending on the amount of cash BSA has as of the effective date (I think).

Maybe because I am not a businessman, but I always thought it is better to buy than rent. Especially since the warehouse SHOULD be paid for. When I forked for Supply in the 90s, the warehouse had been there a while.

1 minute ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Maybe because I am not a businessman, but I always thought it is better to buy than rent. Especially since the warehouse SHOULD be paid for. When I forked for Supply in the 90s, the warehouse had been there a while.

Yes, but like the family that takes out a home equity loan to pay credit card bills, we need to tap that equity. This isn’t about what is good for business. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

If this is the wrong spot for the question, Mods please feel free to move it to the right one.

When will the transcript of the session that the CHURCHILL PLAN was discussed and how do I go about getting a copy of the transcript? No one in my council is mentioning anything about it, and when I do ask questions about it, I am told I am "spreading rumors," and "no one knows what is actually going to happen." Considering the leash that national does have over councils, national gets its way.

What was presented in court wasn't the Churchill Plan ... at least that term was never listed in any slide they displayed in court.  The Churchill Plan dates back to 2020 or perhaps before.  What was shown in court was from a senior executive meeting held at Philmont in August of 2021.  This was not a big group of volunteers ... this appears to have been a meeting of senior staff/volunteers.  My guess is only those watching the court hearing plus a few others have any clue what was discussed. 

I am also curious if/when the hearing recordings are released.

20 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

What was shown in court was from a senior executive meeting held at Philmont in August of 2021.  This was not a big group of volunteers ... this appears to have been a meeting of senior staff/volunteers.  My guess is only those watching the court hearing plus a few others have any clue what was discussed.

Those slides and Devang Desai’s attendant testimony had some interesting and none too wise revelations. He took good notes, which rather came back to bite him (and National) in the tuchus. 

• Upvote 1

One of the interesting slides that was part of the hearing that I saw posted elsewhere were recent membership numbers. BSA had put out some PR I think in January that membership had grown from 700,000 to one million. As most scouters here know, however, the real number is generally arrived at in the first quarter after most of the recharter grace periods end. The real membership number as of March  has dropped to about 650,000 scouts. Whatever plan -- Churchill or private senior staff -- BSA has to build up from there. What isn't clear is if that 600,000 also includes the UMC charters that were put on extension. 

29 minutes ago, PACAN said:

650000!   WOW!  Was there any breakdown of this number on the slide?   At one time there were comments that there were more scouts than cubs. 

I don't think so. But it's disheartening. 

19 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

@InquisitiveScouter,

Pretty much. At the town hall meeting I went to, I made comments and folks in the know, or should have been in the know, were either shocked or shocked and angered that I knew as much as I did on the trial.

When discussing matters from the trial, specifically the Churchill Plan and their plan to limit the number of councils, get rid of "excess" camps, and cap the upper age limit to 18 for all programs with a council level volunteer, I was told I was spreading rumors.

My troop thinks I have mystical powers because I know so much before anyone else does. 

All because I came here a few years ago hoping to learn how to create a good program and be an effective leader. :D

(Or was it because I couldn’t figure out how to print blue cards from Troopmaster?)

Edited by swilliams
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, ThenNow said:

Thanks. Interesting article. One part I can't wrap my head around is that the plan requires both the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church to work with the BSA to increase membership. That shifts the priority from  youth protection to youth recruitment. It seems like a serious conflict of interest that once again by default creates an environment where less than ideal situations may be overlooked in the drive to increase membership. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, yknot said:

One part I can't wrap my head around is that the plan requires both the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church to work with the BSA to increase membership. That shifts the priority from  youth protection to youth recruitment. It seems like a serious conflict of interest that once again by default creates an environment where less than ideal situations may be overlooked in the drive to increase membership. 

Honestly, based on Bishop Schol's testimony, I think there is less to worry about with the UMC. He and they seem very intent on following through with both YP mirroring the BSA and caring for survivors in their midst. I believe they/he should be leading the CO portion of the YPC. That's my take, based on all I've seen, heard, read and learned along the way.

31 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Honestly, based on Bishop Schol's testimony, I think there is less to worry about with the UMC. He and they seem very intent on following through with both YP mirroring the BSA and caring for survivors in their midst. I believe they/he should be leading the CO portion of the YPC. That's my take, based on all I've seen, heard, read and learned along the way.

I know it was very emotive, and there is a men's Methodist group that is very passionate about scouting, but I wouldn't put trust in a few hours of testimony. The UMC also has plenty of issues of its own where it is floundering. If boosting membership in BSA helps it avoid a crippling financial hit, that is a risky place to put our youth. 

• Confused 1