3 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

I'm telling my parents to not buy the Cub Scout handbooks.  At $25 a year, it's another expense that really isn't needed.  Scoutbook has all the requirements and a little Google time will clarify any questions.  My kids haven't opened theirs on their own at all.  The Boy Scout handbook is probably more useful as it isn't a one year and done thing.

A Scout is thrifty!!!

48 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

I'm telling my parents to not buy the Cub Scout handbooks.  At $25 a year, it's another expense that really isn't needed.  Scoutbook has all the requirements and a little Google time will clarify any questions.  My kids haven't opened theirs on their own at all.  The Boy Scout handbook is probably more useful as it isn't a one year and done thing.

The Scout handbook is at least intended to last several years. The way cub stuff has to be repurchased yearly is really off-putting. New book, necker, hat, belt and socks yearly just feels bad. 

Just now, malraux said:

The Scout handbook is at least intended to last several years. The way cub stuff has to be repurchased yearly is really off-putting. New book, necker, hat, belt and socks yearly just feels bad. 

It is bad...no need for any of that.

It's just a scheme to generate revenue. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

t's just a scheme to generate revenue. 

Sure is and if "we" resist by not buying the new accessories (handbook, neckerchief, etc.) each year, they'll find another way to collect revenue (annual fee increases). 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, OaklandAndy said:

Sure is and if "we" resist by not buying the new accessories (handbook, neckerchief, etc.) each year, they'll find another way to collect revenue (annual fee increases). 

There are some elements I wouldn’t mind as much. Add a way to access the Cub Scout handbooks electrically via Scoutbook, or the merit badge books as a unit, great. 

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Armymutt said:

Agree.   Neither pack or troop scouts use their handbooks much anymore.  Period.  Phones and Google changed the world.  I'd like cubs to have them, but at $200 per year for 8 cubs (den size), it's just too much.   Even for the older scouts ... even Eagle scouts barely spent much time in the handbook beyond the requirement page checklists.  A very few do.  Most do not.  

By the way ... It's beyond awkward to say cub scout versus scout.  It's wrong.  Cub scouts is a sub-type of scout.  Years ago, it was also awkward / wrong to use boy scout versus cub scout as cubs are part of BSA (Boy Scouts of America).  ... I've now begun to use pack scouts versus troop scouts.  I know it does not match official "branding" or what we are taught, but I feel more accurate and concise saying it.   ... and I don't feel like I'm always tripping and needing to explain which group I really mean. 

Young cubs don't need the handbook, they are lead through advancement.  Leaders could benefit, but the pack could have a rotating library.

I think Webelos/AOL should have a book if the troop(s) they are likely to move to use them so they get in the habit of always bringing it with them and taking it to leaders for signoff.

For Scouts BSA, as prevalent as electronic stuff is getting, at least in our troop we're not there yet.  The paper handbook is still the source of record for a boy's advancement.  I do feel a Scouts BSA scout should have a handbook, but I think it should be a one-time buy and any requirements changes can be handled off a stapled-in printout or electronically.  The content has not changed a lot since I was a youth a million years ago.  I read the new handbook this summer cover to cover while bored at summer camp.  The content is really good.  On that basis alone, I feel like it's worth having.  I encourage every Scout to read it once cover to cover.  I also like to think there's still a positive benefit to encouraging the use of books today over electronics for research.  I encourage anyone in a position of responsibility or thinking of running for elections to read the section about servant leadership in particular.  I think it's wonderfully written.

In our troop Scoutbook is updated from the paper handbook opportunistically, usually following a board of review.  Everything ends up electronically, but we still rely on the paper handbook.  I'm a mega electronic nerd and I even support the ongoing use of the paper books.  They never run out of batteries camping, lose cell signal, etc.  Call me old fashioned :)

• Upvote 1
On 5/5/2022 at 10:25 AM, malraux said:

Nothing to stop a Pack from making their own custom necker to last the whole program, just like most troops.  

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

Our Council just released their monthly newsletter and it states that the prices are all increasing significantly.

- Adult volunteers will see their registration fee increase from $45 to $60. (a 33% increase)

- Merit Badge Counselors go from $0 to $25 (if they are not registered as an adult leader in a unit)

All of these people are adult VOLUNTEERS, which means that they are volunteering their time, energy, skills, etc. free of charge to support Scouting. Are there any other organizations that ask for volunteers and then charge them fees to provide their donation of time and labor? 

1 hour ago, Delphinus said:

Our Council just released their monthly newsletter and it states that the prices are all increasing significantly.

- Adult volunteers will see their registration fee increase from $45 to $60. (a 33% increase)

- Merit Badge Counselors go from $0 to $25 (if they are not registered as an adult leader in a unit)

All of these people are adult VOLUNTEERS, which means that they are volunteering their time, energy, skills, etc. free of charge to support Scouting. Are there any other organizations that ask for volunteers and then charge them fees to provide their donation of time and labor? 

This is a National fee increase, and was first mentioned at the May National Annual Meeting. Just be glad your council doesn't charge additional, council specific, fees.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
2 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

This is a National fee increase, and was first mentioned at the May National Annual Meeting. Just be glad your council doesn't charge additional, council specific, fees.

2023 National Membership Fee Details,  courtesy of Greater New York Councils

https://nycscouting.org/membershipupdate/

8 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

GSUSA. 

@mrjohns2 Depends how you look at. Swapping my BSA for my GSUSA hat, our local council charges annual dues and background check cost for me being a GSUSA leader. It costs me $12.50 for my annual dues and $25 to the 3rd party background check company. When I volunteer for any council activity, I get to do that for $0 since I volunteer my time and training and if my kids are at the same event, their cost drops to between 50% and nothing. A far cry from the usually at least 50% of the event cost and nothing for my kids attending at any BSA event of my local council.

Edited by dk516
  • Upvote 1