Quoted from a Facebook group comment:  "New Cub uniform from waist up has gone up 23% and handbook from 16.99 to 23.99. Pocket cards from .19 to 29. Belt loop from 1.49 to 1.99. 1819 items had a price increase in the cover of darkness overnight on Thursday. Councils notified at 7am in Friday."

2 hours ago, scoutldr said:

Quoted from a Facebook group comment:  "New Cub uniform from waist up has gone up 23% and handbook from 16.99 to 23.99. Pocket cards from .19 to 29. Belt loop from 1.49 to 1.99. 1819 items had a price increase in the cover of darkness overnight on Thursday. Councils notified at 7am in Friday."

Not sure when this increase went into effect, but looking at scoutshop.org now and Cub handbooks are still listed at 16.99.

• Upvote 1

Sash is going to $100.

For Scouts who have to have all the MBs it will cost over $450 to buy them all

Solution:  Ebay sellers have fully completed sashes for $25.  Doesn't matter which badges since the sash and uniform are not required items.  😁

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, PACAN said:

Sash is going to $100.

For Scouts who have to have all the MBs it will cost over $450 to buy them all

Solution:  Ebay sellers have fully completed sashes for $25.  Doesn't matter which badges since the sash and uniform are not required items.  😁

That would be some price increase. I still see both 30in and 36in sash at $11.99

https://www.scoutshop.org/scouts-bsa-merit-badge-sash-36-62001.html

Edited by RememberSchiff
Just now, RememberSchiff said:

I still see both 30in and 36in sash at $11.99

https://www.scoutshop.org/scouts-bsa-merit-badge-sash-36-62001.html

I think @PACAN means sash with average amount of merit badges...

21 required for Eagle @ $2.79 current = $58.59, plus sash cost of $11.99 = $70.58

[My Eagle has 39 MBs currently, so replacement cost would be $120.80}

A 23% increase would make that $86.81...and you average Eagle Scout has many more than 21 MB's...

I can see over $100 easy for that...

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, PACAN said:

Solution:  Ebay sellers have fully completed sashes for $25.  Doesn't matter which badges since the sash and uniform are not required items. 

While it looks like this is intended to be humor, it’s actually a practical strategy.  When my Scout lost her well populate sash, we did find an EBay seller that had a sash with a significant percentage of the badges she needed replacements for.  Took them off and resewed to a new sash in the order she’d earned them.  It was a more cost effective approach than re-buying them all new.  She found the original sash about a week after we’d finally replaced it (so even better that we hadn’t paid full price for the replacement).  😐

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, BAJ said:

While it looks like this is intended to be humor, it’s actually a practical strategy.  When my Scout lost her well populate sash, we did find an EBay seller that had a sash with a significant percentage of the badges she needed replacements for. 

I lost a bunch of my Scouting memorabilia that I had at my mom's house when it flooded during Katrina. Ebay has been my friend. I was able to get some of the more meaningful stuff back.

4 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I was able to get some of the more meaningful stuff back.

Others may be able to help, you just have to mention it. I was at a week of summer camp when chatting with a random Scouter. I was wearing an old 1993 National Jamboree TShirt. My dad had passed away not too long before and I inherited 3 identical shirts that fit the adult me. I brought them to camp and wouldn't fear them getting wrecked while doing service projects. This Scouter said that he had lost his in a house fire 10 years prior and was very sad about it. It was awesome to head back to camp, grab a shirt, head back and help this Scouter replenish one item for him! 

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm telling my parents to not buy the Cub Scout handbooks.  At $25 a year, it's another expense that really isn't needed.  Scoutbook has all the requirements and a little Google time will clarify any questions.  My kids haven't opened theirs on their own at all.  The Boy Scout handbook is probably more useful as it isn't a one year and done thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1