Good Morning Fellow Scouters!

Just finished my first weekend of woodbadge and had a fantastic time. I am trying to iron out my goals and frankly I am drawing a blank on a goal for diversity. Would love some suggestions from others on this!

Hi @GeoJeff83, welcome to the forums.

The possibilities are endless. And how you shape it really depends on your current role.

• Teach scouts about the different religious awards.
  • Register as a counselor (or recruit counselors) for Citizenship in Society or Disability Awareness MB.
  • Invite your unit to visit a unique community or cultural center who is hosting a special event.
  • Make a round table presentation on the first scout or first Eagle Scout of a minority group who interests you,

The trick: think of something that you would consider fun to do in your current scouting position, but you just haven’t got around to it yet. Do that.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 2

I have found that treating people as unique individuals who are created in the image of God to be the most useful take on developing relationships with them, helping them explore their challenges, hopes and dreams, and working with them to reach for their potential.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I have found that treating people as unique individuals who are created in the image of God to be the most useful take on developing relationships with people, helping them explore their challenges, hopes and dreams, and working with them to reach for their potential.

This is really good, thanks Inquisitivescouter. I used to highlight to scouts and adult leaders in training that the Scout Oath and Law are framed in diversity. The Scout states that they under their honor they will do their best to do their duty of treating all unique individuals under the one Scout Law.

Barry

• Upvote 1

@qwazse is right on the money with ticket ideas...

Here are a few others:

- Give a roundtable presentation on the religious awards program

- Complete the requirements for American Cultures MB with a registered counselor, then become a counselor yourself.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/Merit_Badge_ReqandRes/American_Cultures.pdf?_gl=1*1hc7z34*_ga*MTM1MjIxMTgyMC4xNjQ5MDAzNTUw*_ga_20G0JHESG4*MTY0OTI0NzkwNC44LjEuMTY0OTI0ODYwMy42MA..&_ga=2.127730757.974321973.1649003550-1352211820.1649003550

- Complete the requirements for Indian Lore MB with a registered counselor, then become a counselor yourself.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/Merit_Badge_ReqandRes/Indian_Lore.pdf?_gl=1*174sai1*_ga*MTM1MjIxMTgyMC4xNjQ5MDAzNTUw*_ga_20G0JHESG4*MTY0OTI0NzkwNC44LjEuMTY0OTI0ODYxNS40OA..&_ga=2.130763719.974321973.1649003550-1352211820.1649003550

- Complete the requirements for American Heritage MB with a registered counselor, then become a counselor yourself.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/Merit_Badge_ReqandRes/American_Heritage.pdf?_gl=1*nybp6t*_ga*MTM1MjIxMTgyMC4xNjQ5MDAzNTUw*_ga_20G0JHESG4*MTY0OTI0NzkwNC44LjEuMTY0OTI0ODg0NS42MA..&_ga=2.164300919.974321973.1649003550-1352211820.1649003550

- Complete the requirements for Fingerprinting MB (YES, Fingerprinting!!), then become a counselor yourself.  When it finally changes to Biometrics MB, keep with it.  (Fingerprints are the ultimate mark of diversity, but if a person does not have fingers, what biometric markers make them identifiably unique?)

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/Merit_Badge_ReqandRes/Fingerprinting.pdf?_ga=2.70078424.974321973.1649003550-1352211820.1649003550&_gl=1*13zcxlc*_ga*MTM1MjIxMTgyMC4xNjQ5MDAzNTUw*_ga_20G0JHESG4*MTY0OTI0NzkwNC44LjEuMTY0OTI0OTI5My42MA..

- Pick any of the requirements in the merit badges above and give a presentation to a unit or at roundtable. (Market your MB!)

- Learn about and give a roundtable presentation on various (or just one) BSA adult recognitions for working with different communities:

Asian American Spirit of Scouting Service Award, Community Organization Award, George Meany Award, Messengers of Peace Award, iScouting!… Vale la Pena! Service Award, Special Needs Scouting Service Award, Torch of Gold, Whitney M. Young Jr. Service Award, etc.

SOOOOO many different avenues you could take with this, to identify initiatives BSA has had around for years and years to support "diversity"

3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I have found that treating people as unique individuals who are created in the image of God to be the most useful take on developing relationships with them, helping them explore their challenges, hopes and dreams, and working with them to reach for their potential.

Great philosophy. The issue is that the BSA has been irrelevant to certain populations in the country the wood badge ticket item is there to help change that. 

46 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

Great philosophy. The issue is that the BSA has been irrelevant to certain populations in the country the wood badge ticket item is there to help change that. 

It's just a way for the BSA to check the progressive. box. I'm not sure what population you are speaking of, but this requirement isn't going to change it. The BSA has been working to get into other demographics like inner city, but the effort is a challenge that requires a lot of resources. 

Barry

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

It's just a way for the BSA to check the progressive. box. I'm not sure what population you are speaking of, but this requirement isn't going to change it. The BSA has been working to get into other demographics like inner city, but the effort is a challenge that requires a lot of resources. 

Barry

Here's a simple fix that could be implemented across the country...

Cut the average SE by $50K and BSA C-suite executive salary by $100K (Easily done, with virtually no impact to actual local BSA services (yes, that's an opinion).).  Use that money to HIRE a Scoutmaster for your council's specific "underserved" population, and fund camperships to Summer Camp until the SM's can inculcate a culture of earning your way. (see page 101 at the link...)

https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/221576300_201912_990_2021030217778557.pdf

You could instantly create 300+ jobs (some councils need more than one new unit), and provides opportunity for 6K+ youth (assuming a modest 20 Scouts per unit average reached).

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0912/which-income-class-are-you.aspx

1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

The issue is that the BSA has been irrelevant to certain populations in the country

That's not because of "diversity"

• Like 1

Mandatory viewing???

Equity, nationally, would also be:

- Paternity leave equal to maternity leave allowances

- Women must register for the draft

- Equity in court judgements for men in family courts and criminal sentences as compared to women

- No physical standards for men different than women in military units, police, firefighters, etc.  Define the requirements for the job, and anyone who can meet them is qualified...  (a lot of people won't like that one)

etc., etc., etc.

46 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Mandatory viewing???

Equity, nationally, would also be:

- Paternity leave equal to maternity leave allowances

- Women must register for the draft

- Equity in court judgements for men in family courts and criminal sentences as compared to women

- No physical standards for men different than women in military units, police, firefighters, etc.  Define the requirements for the job, and anyone who can meet them is qualified...  (a lot of people won't like that one)

etc., etc., etc.

Don’t forget guys getting paid time off International Women’s Day! (I’m told it’s a thing among Russian office workers. Not so much among military.)

But, really a scouter can make what he/she wants out of the diversity goal without dreading some PC police. It’s actually fun making the effort.

• Upvote 2

I have issues with some of the inanities of the diversity/equity movement but for the most part there are a lot of people in scouting who are still in the dinosaur age. They are in our units, they are all over facebook and reddit and on some of the scout sites. I think the badge will be just fine and is a good thing in general. I have been in a mixed progressive/conservative council in a very blue state and the stuff that people say around here still curls the eyebrow hairs. I can't imagine what it's like elsewhere.  

• Upvote 3