Citizenship in Society MB - Eagle Required

6 hours ago, Better4itall said:

Hmmmm - you're right @Fred8033, the Scout needs to drive their own advancement cadence (sometimes maddeningly) but some MB's need some placement; Swimming before Lifesaving, and in our Troop we feel that Family Life and Personal Management are much more meaningful at age 16-17 than 12-13, so some steering happens there, too.  At a minimum, the MBC can distribute the reqs and check them off, I expect a lot of that this year.  I'm hoping for insights to make it better than a TPS Report.

We'll have to differ here.  

Swimming MB - Swimming is explicitly called out in the Life Saving MB requirements.  That's a BSA expectation, not your troop.

Family Life / Personal Mgmt - I wholly disagree that Family Life and Personal Management are more meaningful at 16-17.  In fact, I'd argue these could easily be viewed as much better to earn earlier.  For example, Family Life #3 list your family duties / chores and do them for 90 days.  I'm pretty sure most mothers would rather their sons start this requirement at 12 years old than at 17 right before they leave for college.  Same for every family life requirement.  Those are better to learn earlier to contribute and participate in the family better.  ... I think same can be argued for personal mgmt.   ... The only big difference is 50% of scouts have a job at 16/17 and thus have money to manage.  ... BUT, I'd rather see them know in advance to think about saving and budging versus be about to age out.  

I respect your position.  It's common and reasoned.

My view is mainly coming from a tangent.  I want unit to encourage advancement, but stop overly influencing the scout's journey. 

It's their journey; not the adults.

• Upvote 4

Just wondering...2 scouts that need to hurry on this?    Cit in Society becomes Eagle required 1 July.  Any scout who has completed all the Eagle Scout requirements by then does not need to earn CIS for Eagle rank.   Tenure, MBs POR, Eagle project, SMC.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, PACAN said:

Just wondering...2 scouts that need to hurry on this?    Cit in Society becomes Eagle required 1 July.  Any scout who has completed all the Eagle Scout requirements by then does not need to earn CIS for Eagle rank.   Tenure, MBs POR, Eagle project, SMC.  

My understanding is Beginning July 1, 2022, the Citizenship in Society merit badge will be required for any youth seeking to achieve the Eagle Scout rank.  If a Scout has not had their EBOR by then, it will be REQUIRED for Scouts having their EBOR after 7/1/2022.

Jameson76:  Nope

Eagle Scout candidates will continue to use the current rank requirements until June 30, 2022,
 and will not be required to complete the new Citizenship in Society Merit Badge
as long as they complete all of the current Eagle Rank requirements before July 1, 2022.

They do not have to submit their final Eagle Scout application
 nor complete their Eagle Scout Board of Review prior to July 1, 2022,
 but must complete all current Eagle Scout requirements before then.

• Thanks 2
  • Ensuring two-deep leadership if circumstances dictate, speak privately and respectfully with the person demonstrating bias to coach them in how to remedy the behavior in the future.
  • Check on the recipient of the inappropriate behavior, ensuring their well-being and making sure they understand that they are valued and that the behavior they witnessed is not a Scouting value.
  • Report the incident to the Scout Executive. Even seemingly minor/resolved incidents can be offensive to recipients of the behavior and deserve to be treated as a possible violation of Scouting’s Barriers to Abuse.

Ok, so working through this "training" atm....and I read this....

Uh, no...I'm not going to report minor incidents, such as a Scout telling an offensive joke, to our SE as a "...possible violation of Scouting's Barriers to Abuse."

On 3/23/2022 at 2:37 PM, Better4itall said:

... Around first class is when Scouts often enter the Ninja phase - they don't want anyone to know they are associated with Scouting, so it can't be public on social media.  It's cool when they are younger, but it doesn't become cool again until they make Eagle.

Um, I'm sorry (not sorry). But not wanting to publicly associate with scouting is a good reason to suspend advancement. If you're ashamed to be in my troop, it's all good, I'll just be ashamed to bling you. [Rant over.]

I approach this from the perspective of leaving it up to a scout to implement, but providing ideas in case they aren't sure how to proceed. It's a big country, so each group of scouts will have a different "best strategy." Most of us are convinced that classroom settings work poorly. We're also fairly certain that mapping the order of MBs (except for those that explicitly require earning another MB) for a scout is more of an impediment than help. Most of us have seen scouts work on their other Citizenship MBs in pairs or fours and like it. I've seen them try classroom settings and hate it. So I think that will apply here.

My general thinking is that by the time that you might be elected to O/A (not just camping nights and rank ... but your fellow scouts see something worth voting for) you've probably got what it takes to work on this MB.

Note: that does not mean that you should ignore opportunities. E.g. ... if there's an interesting community leader who could give your troop an engaging presentation, strongly encourage your PLC to invite him/her.

Edited by qwazse
2 hours ago, qwazse said:

Um, I'm sorry (not sorry). But not wanting to publicly associate with scouting is a good reason to suspend advancement. If you're ashamed to be in my troop, it's all good, I'll just be ashamed to bling you. [Rant over.]

It seems like the only lesson to the scout is just tell you what you want to hear.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:21 PM, MattR said:

It seems like the only lesson to the scout is just tell you what you want to hear.

Truth: I've never had to tell it to a scout. They generally are quite proud to brag about the shenanigans at our meetings. And, they are in uniform when working booths at community events and the like. They also teach survival skills to their classmates as part of the school curriculum.

It seems to be the adults who often take the words/actions of the most negative scout to heart.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:47 AM, skeptic said:

This one continues to be a serious point of confusion for many of us I fear.  Our leaders have touched on it once or twice, but nobody feels confident in how to approach it.  The general consensus verges on making it a general group discussion for all the youth, or perhaps more than one, focused on THEIR perspectives and input.  The vagueness and simply point that the subjects are controversial and bound to be viewed in widely distanced ways does not help.  The one thing though, upon what most adults and even more senior scouts is that the intent has always already been part of the basic tenets, and this simply muddies that.

Add this that attempts to explain points of Law;  "

A Scout is Friendly.
A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.
A Scout is Courteous.
A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to get along.
A Scout is Kind.
A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. Without good reason, he does not harm or kill any living thing."

These three points, as explained here, basically cover the CIS merit badge, or so it seems to me.  
  • Upvote 1