Now, when did it actually work?

Poor wording on my part. Should have been Leadership project.

While a Star Scout, serve actively for six months in one or more of the troop positions of responsibility listed in requirement 5 for Star Scout (or carry out a Scoutmaster-assigned leadership project to help the troop).

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

Let me make sure I have this straight first.

Your son fulfilled his service hours requirement for Life by working on Eagle projects and other service projects. He also held the position of Troop Instructor for twelve months, which meets the Position of Responsibility requirement for the Life rank. In addition to the above, the scoutmaster assigned an additional service project that required a write up, thank you letters, pictures, etc. to receive his Life Rank. Is that correct?

If so, I think the question is not whether it worked or not. We know such projects produce confidence and leadership in young men. That's why their expected for projects for the Eagle rank. The question to consider is, is it fair to require this for the rank of Life, when no one else requires it?

Just asking.

Oh, if my assumptions stated above are wrong, disreguard this post.

SA

So Dan let me ask this.

What exactly do you think the scoutmaster changed?

If he held the leadership position as required.

If he did the service hours as required

If he did a Scoutmaster assigned service project to benefit the troop as required.

What was not according to the program?

(This message has been edited by Bob White)(This message has been edited by Bob White)

OOPS thanks Eagle I missed the duplication.

So I'm back to my post before I edited it.

Dan,

What leads you to believe that your son would not have developed those qualities had the Scoutmaster not violated advancement policies?

BobWhite

The troop (not really the SM, but that is another story) changed the program, to help the scout get ready for the next step in scouting.

I would really like to hear what Zahnada, eagle90, Uncleguinea, evmori, Its Me, Backpacker, Eagledad have to say about the change that this troop has made to the program. When they post that changing the program is okay.

BobWhite wrote

What leads you to believe that your son would not have developed those qualities had the Scoutmaster not violated advancement policies?

What would lead you to believe that he would have?

The above 2 questions that cannot be answered. We would only be guessing on the outcome, sort of like what if the Red Sox did not win the last 4 games with New York, we would only be guessing on the winner of the World Series.

(This message has been edited by dan)

To all of my fellow scouters,

Let me go on record by stating that I love scouting and the program developed by the BSA and use it with my troop. The fact that we have altered the patrol method slightly to allow for mixed patrols does not mean I have abandoned the scout program. This slight alteration has worked well in my troop for over 3 years, and has helped me retain and advance the boys in the troop and contributed to the rapid growth of this troop. I attribute this success not only to the patrol method but also to the wonderful program of the BSA. In spite of what BW thinks, I think what we all do for our boys is commendable and giving them a sound program that works is worthy of high praise indeed. All of us I know give 110% to making sure our boys grow into decent men, sometimes at the expense of our own family time. I think Baden Powell would be proud to see what his dream has become, an oasis in a world of violence and hate. So I wanted to let you all know that I appreciate hearing about your programs and to praise, not criticize, all of you for the outstanding work you all do for our youth.

Backpacker,

You have yet to represent what I think accurately of honestly to this point so please do not give the impression that you have the slightest insight into me.

By the way I have tried twice to send you a PM regarding a Wood Badge question, and have not recieved a response. Perhaps you private messaging is not set up correctly.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

OldGreyEagle

NO, not my troop. The troop my son is in.

I see Backpacker ran away from the question. Anyone else out there?

How much of the program should a troop be able to tweak.

This troop has 95 scouts, they must be doing somethink right.

Ok, so the troop your son is in, and you support adds to the requirements that the BSA has established and you want to know if anyone here supports that. And I for one do not.

I understand the argument that the size of a troop must be an indicator that what is being done is correct, but I do not think so. That you have huge numbers may signal a successful youth program, it doesnt mean its a scouting program. I beleive the troop your son is in is improperly adding to the requirements of the BSA.