merit badge councilors

Needs some outside answers (do not trust my councils one's)

1. is  MDC a district only position

2  is  a merit badge councilor required to be on the district committee even if the have a troop spot

3.  are then required to work with all scouts or can they limit as what units they will work with.

thanks john

Edited by jcousino
15 minutes ago, jcousino said:

Needs some outside answers (do not trust my councils one's)

1 is  a merit badge councilor required to be on the district committee even if the have a troop spot

2, are then required to with all scouts or can they limit as what units they will work with.

thanks john

MBC is a district/council role, not a troop role. 

The MERIT BADGE COUNSELOR INFORMATION form (34405WEB) has options wherein you can limit the scope of who you are willing to help. That said, conceivably, the council could limit who they approve as MBC to individuals who want to work with multiple units.

Regarding your edit, I dunno if MBC are on the district committee as such. I guess they are under the advancement committee for the district, but like, if they never show up to a district committee meeting and have no responsibilities, that's not very meaningful. 

Edited by malraux

1. No. MBC are registered as Code 42 or 42F (required to pay fee). The District Dean of MB will OK the skill sets required and approve the MBC (hence District involvement).  The MBC has the option to list as "Troop Only" or willing to accept any scout.

2. No.  They are generally all listed on a district wide available list.  However, as noted they have option to be their Troop only

3. Answered above.

Above answers are generally true. 

Key point is each council can implement the MBC program differently within boundaries of BSA GTA sections 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 .   A few key points that come to mind because MBC is generally not to be a unit role.   https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf

• 7.0.2.1 ... Urge troops, crews, and ships to make as many of their counselors as possible available district- or council-wide. 
  • 7.0.2.3 ... Units may establish their own lists of counselors, but these lists are sub-sets of the official district or council list.

District Dean of MB would be how one council implements the MB program.  Our council keeps the MBC approval at the council advancement committee.  There is a sub-group of the council advancement committee that approves the MBC applications.  

MBC is not automatically on any district or council committee.  That would be yet another registration.  And another application to submit.  See page 36/37 of registration guide book where the codes are listed.  District committee member is one.  MBC is different.  Council (advancement) committee is yet another.  https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Registration-Guidebook.pdf

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1

"You learn something every day" ... hmmm ...  I fear I lost hundreds of dollars for my scouting pack and troop as I rechartered them for 15+ years.  I swear I was told all unit committee member positions should be registered as committee member.  When seeing this registration guidebook page 36/37, unit functional positions did not have a registration fee !!!    Advancement chair.  Treasurer.  Secretary.  etc, etc.   Many were listed as no-fee !!!!!   Hmmm.   I was told to register them as committee members.   :(   I hope this is only a 2019 change to save money.  Otherwise, I lost our unit cash not knowing this.

https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Registration-Guidebook.pdf

Edited by fred8033