2022 Membership Numbers

3 hours ago, malraux said:

FWIW, membership numbers are now accessible to district committee and commissioners.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 7.46.00 AM.png

Would these not be the highest numbers or close to it for the year? 

It takes into account new scouts over the summer and fall. After rechartering the more accurate numbers will be available hopefully. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was extremely dismayed to discover that BSA had created a DEI group, and have considered pulling my son out of Scouting because of it.  Especially when they started pushing the new Eagle-required me

There is no doubt that our history has led to where we all are today.  The past created our present.  So a lot of people today are behind the eight-ball from the outset.  It will take generations to r

I fully expected Scouting to go co-ed when they started having girl troops. On one hand, I believe that we are in an era of equality now and not only do girls deserve to have the same opportuniti

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, 1980Scouter said:

It takes into account new scouts over the summer and fall. After rechartering the more accurate numbers will be available hopefully. 

I would like to see the average for an entire 12 months. That would take out any highs or lows and give a more accurate number.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, 1980Scouter said:

Yes, these are likely the highest numbers. A fair number of cubs will drop off with recharter. I'm not sure how to define "most accurate" in this context, and that comparing like to like is most meaningful.

• Upvote 1

Definitely high numbers...

Our unit is strong.  We have 60+ youth on the roster.  At recharter, we have dropped approximately 10 due to aging out, attrition, and transfer.  We expect to see those added back through Crossovers and recruiting during the year.  We just barely hit our 85% retention rate for JTE Gold.

Agree with @1980Scouter.  Even a "rolling" one or two year average would be more indicative of reality and would flatten out the highs and lows.               

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Definitely high numbers...

Our unit is strong.  We have 60+ youth on the roster.  At recharter, we have dropped approximately 10 due to aging out, attrition, and transfer.  We expect to see those added back through Crossovers and recruiting during the year.

Agree with @1980Scouter.  Even a "rolling" one or two year average would be more indicative of reality and would flatten out the highs and lows.               

I dunno that average tells you more than peak year to year, because the numbers stay basically static except when they go up in the fall and back down in march.

I think we'll see about 10% drop after recharter in our Troop.  Just a guess based on what "I've heard" but I would put money on it.

The cub bump is great to see.  I do hope that in the years to come that means the "feeder" of Cubs --> Troop will be revived.  2 years ago, our Troop saw 20 new Scouts come in from Cubs.  Last year 12.  This year we expect 3.  Behind that tiny batch is 6, so I hope we might see it climb back up to around 10 a year which would be a sustainable number but in the next 2 years we'll see a smaller Troop than we've had for 10 years due to the Covid impact and the dried up cub scout feeder.

3 hours ago, 1980Scouter said:

There are generally 3 numbers to consider, total youth served during the year that includes all youth registered (even if some were dropped), total active youth (this is at recharter time after dropped youths are subtracted) and end of year figures which are often close to the total youth served because most units are now on a calendar year. The only time a districts, councils or national numbers should be compared would be right after recharter is completed which is the most accurate count of ACTIVE YOUTH. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, malraux said:

Yes, these are likely the highest numbers. A fair number of cubs will drop off with recharter. I'm not sure how to define "most accurate" in this context, and that comparing like to like is most meaningful.

I prefer to look at March to March numbers for that reason. The majority of recharter extensions, etc., have been cleared by then so the numbers are the cleanest. I think the 2023 March numbers are particularly important because most of the dust will have cleared in the aftermath of the UMC recharter extensions which end Dec. 31.  

• Upvote 1