Chapter 11 Announced - Part 8 - TCC Term Sheet & Plan Confirmation

3 hours ago, johnsch322 said:

I also have lived for over 50 years with the scars of my abuse. In a perfect world there would be no open or closed states we all would be able to receive the value of our abuse. I wasn't trying to scold or chastise you.  I do not feel lucky in any of this and honestly wish none of it happened to any of us, but I cannot rewrite history.  The only equity I see for those in closed states is a BSA National bankruptcy only and for that reason I will not be changing my vote.  That might make it more difficult for me but would leave doors open for people like yourself and @ThenNowif your states changed their laws. 

I respectfully have to disagree with your statement about people from closed states having a better chance with justice via a National BSA only bankruptcy.  Under the current plan survivors receive some form of compensation.  That fact it is different for different states is disgusting, and hopefully more states begin to change their SOL laws.  

My belief is Local Councils and Chartered Organizations from closed or limited states will simply go to court and have the cases against them dismissed due to time bars.  Let’s be honest, how many LC’s or CO’s would be willing to pay a dime to a survivor when the law protects them?   We cannot expect morality from them; they are not moral!  In a BSA only bankruptcy fortunate survivors (myself included) would benefit while unfortunate others will receive nothing, and the last two years will have done nothing but ripped open old wounds.    This whole process is terribly unfair and frankly disheartening, it pits survivors v survivors which only benefits the BSA and creates even deeper wounds that people will have to live with.  

We all need to stick together!  Hope, while a good thing, can also be extremely harmful.  To put hope in your state legislatures to change the SOL laws is a gamble, looking at the games being played in the closed states I am not sure I would take the risks.   The choice certainly is not mine to make, each of us has to do what we believe is best for us; each of us has to determine what is the highest form of justice we are willing to accept.   I judge no one by their decisions, we all do what we believe to be best.  

I want this whole thing to be behind me   I want to awake someday and not feel the need to read every single document on Omni.   I want to awake not being reminded of the man who took my innocence.  I want to awake and see that brighter days are ahead.   That is the only hope I am willing to take risks for.  

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been reading this blog for months and finally decided to express how I feel about this plan.  I have always and continue to believe there are thousands of fraudulent sexual abuse claims filed i

My bet? We’ll never know. They will quietly sneak off the trail via the $3500 spur and go their merry way. There will be valid survivor claimants that exit stage left, as well, not wanting to deal wit

Not really true. I never bought a ticket I was a victim I had no choice.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, NJScout1980 said:

I respectfully have to disagree with your statement about people from closed states having a better chance with justice via a National BSA only bankruptcy.  Under the current plan survivors receive some form of compensation.  That fact it is different for different states is disgusting, and hopefully more states begin to change their SOL laws.  

My belief is Local Councils and Chartered Organizations from closed or limited states will simply go to court and have the cases against them dismissed due to time bars.  Let’s be honest, how many LC’s or CO’s would be willing to pay a dime to a survivor when the law protects them?   We cannot expect morality from them; they are not moral!  In a BSA only bankruptcy fortunate survivors (myself included) would benefit while unfortunate others will receive nothing, and the last two years will have done nothing but ripped open old wounds.    This whole process is terribly unfair and frankly disheartening, it pits survivors v survivors which only benefits the BSA and creates even deeper wounds that people will have to live with.  

We all need to stick together!  Hope, while a good thing, can also be extremely harmful.  To put hope in your state legislatures to change the SOL laws is a gamble, looking at the games being played in the closed states I am not sure I would take the risks.   The choice certainly is not mine to make, each of us has to do what we believe is best for us; each of us has to determine what is the highest form of justice we are willing to accept.   I judge no one by their decisions, we all do what we believe to be best.  

I want this whole thing to be behind me   I want to awake someday and not feel the need to read every single document on Omni.   I want to awake not being reminded of the man who took my innocence.  I want to awake and see that brighter days are ahead.   That is the only hope I am willing to take risks for.  

I would like someone from a closed state answer this please.

15 hours ago, NJScout1980 said:

This is how I feel, a BSA National only bankruptcy preserves the right of claimants in open states to sue if their state opens up.  As the settlement read now the future right to sue is being taken away for paltry dollar amounts and some if not most of the claimants in those states would rather bet for the future.  This would only mean that those with legitimate claims in open states would have to wait longer for their settlements as they would have to file a state claim against the LC's and CO's.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, johnsch322 said:

This is how I feel, a BSA National only bankruptcy preserves the right of claimants in open states to sue if their state opens up.  As the settlement read now the future right to sue is being taken away for paltry dollar amounts and some if not most of the claimants in those states would rather bet for the future.  This would only mean that those with legitimate claims in open states would have to wait longer for their settlements as they would have to file a state claim against the LC's and CO's.

I fully agree ... for the reasons you state and more reasons; a broad settlement just seems too imbalanced in many, many ways.  We might have drastically different interpretations of the past, but I agree with this assertion.  

1 hour ago, johnsch322 said:

a BSA National only bankruptcy preserves the right of claimants in open states to sue if their state opens up.  As the settlement read now the future right to sue is being taken away for paltry dollar amounts and some if not most of the claimants in those states would rather bet for the future.  This would only mean that those with legitimate claims in open states would have to wait longer for their settlements as they would have to file a state claim against the LC's and CO's.

I've been seriously pondering this and trying to cipher it out, especially the "some or most" part. Some? Fer sure, fer sure. Most? Hmm. 

Rounding (bc I just don't remember), there are something like 52,000 closed state claims. Among the 28,458 who didn't vote at all, don't you think a good majority are from closed states? Dunno. Regardless, it doesn't evince a ton of motivation and it takes just that to wade into the state court route. We have to factor in the big risk/little risk of state court and the tick-tick-boom of the clock. Trial prep and marching toward a jury or a late in the game settlement are grueling. I teeter on the edge of significant doubt that a majority of closed state claimants want to go headlong into the tort system after who knows how long. Just trying to reason this through, knowing something about being in a Gray zone and human nature. What about the 28,000 who didn't vote? Who are they and do they want to do anything but get the heck outta Dodge with whatever they can get, be it the 3500 off-ramp bucks or a run at the TDP process, come what may. I think a lot of people are tired and may fade to black if left to wait for their state to open. People on this forum are more informed and energized than most. I just don't know. Do I think that's best for them? Hard to say, but I 100% respect any and all inclinations and disinclinations.   

1 hour ago, fred8033 said:

for the reasons you state and more reasons; a broad settlement just seems too imbalanced in many, many ways.

Perhaps you're correct and it is imbalanced. But, as to the desire of closed state claimants to forego either the off-ramp or the TDP, hoping for their shot as state court, I just don't know if I believe it. Big risk/little risk and "time keeps flowing like a river to the sea, 'til it's gone forever..." What do I know? Precious little.

Edited by ThenNow
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

I've been seriously pondering this and trying to cipher it out, especially the "some or most" part

You are probably correct maybe I should have said that some or most are disappointed in the amounts they will get and might prefer to take a chance on their state opening up.  I think the coalition lawyers did a good job at selling snake oil in this situation.

9 minutes ago, johnsch322 said:

You are probably correct maybe I should have said that some or most are disappointed in the amounts they will get and might prefer to take a chance on their state opening up.  I think the coalition lawyers did a good job at selling snake oil in this situation.

Might be looking at "bird in the hand," (too many) "miles to go before I sleep" and "make the (BSA Chapter 11) world go away, and get it off my shoulders..." situation.

Edited by ThenNow
8 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Might be looking at "bird in the hand," (too many) "miles to go before I sleep" and "make the (BSA Chapter 11) world go away, and get it off my shoulders..." situation.

How about if I just leave it at disappointment in the $amounts?

4 minutes ago, johnsch322 said:

How about if I just leave it at disappointment in the $amounts?

1000%. Also, I'm not saying I'm right. Again, just rambling around in my wee noggin, bouncing off the bone with so much room to roam up yonder!

Reminder.....

The TCC urges you to attend the TCC’s “Town Hall” meetings. The next “Town Hall” meeting will be February 17 at 5 p.m. (Pacific)/7 p.m. (Central)/8 p.m. (Eastern).  The TCC will discuss its recommendations about these material changes to BSA’s Plan.

Here is the Zoom link to the Town Hall meetings: https://pszjlaw.zoom.us/j/82272826295

OR telephone: 1-669-900-9128; Code: 82272826295#

You know what I find so disheartening in this whole process?  $.  This is all about $ and not true justice.  

Yes this is easy for me to say, my abuse happened in an open state.  Yes, I did “Win the Lottery” and this plan benefits me.  I get that and understand any animosity sent my way. 

I have lost so much faith in myself as time passed.  In the beginning my case was never about money.  You may not believe me but it is true. Then, gradually as I read some of the Insurance Companies claims in court documents and saw the actions of the mass tort lawyers/aggregators I became angry and then it started to be about money.   Hell, if all anyone wants is money then I will hop on board that gravy train.  Then the true selfishness I had within, something of which I am so ashamed, seeped to the surface.   Once money began to be driven to the forefront of this case, I decided to abandon what I truly wanted and said, hey give ME what I deserve and screw everyone else.   It became me vs any other survivor.  

This was the monster I became…
My state was open, pay me.  I had concrete proof and witnesses, pay me!  I suffered, pay me!   Your state is closed, piss off.  You have little evidence and witnesses, piss off.  You suffered, too bad, the law helps me and hurts you.  Not my problem.  

i became angry and greed consumed me; I actually started to believe money would make all my pain go away.  Little did I realize that it was only making it worse.  I actually became angry at what I was becoming, angry at what the BSA was once again doing to me. 

I took a long hard look in the mirror and was not happy at the person I saw staring back at me.   He was a disgusting selfish uncaring human being. I was ashamed at what I became and decided to change.  It took me a long time to change back to my true self.  

This plan sucks!  Totally sucks.  It’s unfair.  I get it.  This plan is all about who gets $ and how much. Who “Wins the lottery” and who gets booted from the island.  It’s true!  And as a “lottery winner” I am not offended at the these words because I understand your use of them and you have every right to feel the way you do.  I originally voted REJECT because I wanted more.  I voted REJECT because I wanted to ignore your justice and solve only mine.  

I live in reality.  While this plan is garbage, unfortunately I believe it is the best we as a “whole” can get.  I could easily vote reject because that would benefit me…ME.  That will increase the pool of available “Lottery” money for the Open State victims to win.   I won’t because why should I receive something, if not most, and others receive nothing?   I honestly believe the 52,000 or so survivors from closed states will receive nothing, and the added two years of suffering through this bankruptcy will bring even more weight upon their shoulders   I read somewhere that there are only around 12,000 to 13,000 cases that could survive any legal challenge in court concerning SOL’s or other proceedings, so I often wonder how these survivors feel.  I am one and I know the horrible person I became, I hope the others have not.   I would hope that these men want everyone to receive some form of justice.  

Like all of us on this forum I respect your right to vote any way you way you see appropriate.  All of our decisions are based on our personal experiences and beliefs, and none should question the other.  I can only be the judge of myself.   For those who continue to vote REJECT, I hope in the end I am dead wrong and you are right, and that we all reap the rewards.  I however am now voting to ACCEPT because I believe that benefits the most.  REJECT would certainly benefit me more, but doing so, personally for me, would destroy the person I was when this all started. 

God speed John Glenn…God speed to us all.  

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, NJScout1980 said:

You know what I find so disheartening in this whole process?  $.  This is all about $ and not true justice.  

Yes this is easy for me to say, my abuse happened in an open state.  Yes, I did “Win the Lottery” and this plan benefits me.  I get that and understand any animosity sent my way. 

I have lost so much faith in myself as time passed.  In the beginning my case was never about money.  You may not believe me but it is true. Then, gradually as I read some of the Insurance Companies claims in court documents and saw the actions of the mass tort lawyers/aggregators I became angry and then it started to be about money.   Hell, if all anyone wants is money then I will hop on board that gravy train.  Then the true selfishness I had within, something of which I am so ashamed, seeped to the surface.   Once money began to be driven to the forefront of this case, I decided to abandon what I truly wanted and said, hey give ME what I deserve and screw everyone else.   It became me vs any other survivor.  

This was the monster I became…
My state was open, pay me.  I had concrete proof and witnesses, pay me!  I suffered, pay me!   Your state is closed, piss off.  You have little evidence and witnesses, piss off.  You suffered, too bad, the law helps me and hurts you.  Not my problem.  

i became angry and greed consumed me; I actually started to believe money would make all my pain go away.  Little did I realize that it was only making it worse.  I actually became angry at what I was becoming, angry at what the BSA was once again doing to me. 

I took a long hard look in the mirror and was not happy at the person I saw staring back at me.   He was a disgusting selfish uncaring human being. I was ashamed at what I became and decided to change.  It took me a long time to change back to my true self.  

This plan sucks!  Totally sucks.  It’s unfair.  I get it.  This plan is all about who gets $ and how much. Who “Wins the lottery” and who gets booted from the island.  It’s true!  And as a “lottery winner” I am not offended at the these words because I understand your use of them and you have every right to feel the way you do.  I originally voted REJECT because I wanted more.  I voted REJECT because I wanted to ignore your justice and solve only mine.  

I live in reality.  While this plan is garbage, unfortunately I believe it is the best we as a “whole” can get.  I could easily vote reject because that would benefit me…ME.  That will increase the pool of available “Lottery” money for the Open State victims to win.   I won’t because why should I receive something, if not most, and others receive nothing?   I honestly believe the 52,000 or so survivors from closed states will receive nothing, and the added two years of suffering through this bankruptcy will bring even more weight upon their shoulders   I read somewhere that there are only around 12,000 to 13,000 cases that could survive any legal challenge in court concerning SOL’s or other proceedings, so I often wonder how these survivors feel.  I am one and I know the horrible person I became, I hope the others have not.   I would hope that these men want everyone to receive some form of justice.  

Like all of us on this forum I respect your right to vote any way you way you see appropriate.  All of our decisions are based on our personal experiences and beliefs, and none should question the other.  I can only be the judge of myself.   For those who continue to vote REJECT, I hope in the end I am dead wrong and you are right, and that we all reap the rewards.  I however am now voting to ACCEPT because I believe that benefits the most.  REJECT would certainly benefit me more, but doing so, personally for me, would destroy the person I was when this all started. 

God speed John Glenn…God speed to us all.  

It's always been about the money.Sure the BSA said I'm sorry this happened to all of you and it hurts our hearts that you guys went through this.Those statements were for the TV cameras and nothing more.If they truly cared they would have starting fixing this when the very first abuse was reported instead of writing the sick bastards name down in a notebook and shoving it in the very back of a filing cabinet.It was all about the dollar then and that's all it's about today.ive read others post about how much good the Scouts have done for a bunch of guys that went unharmed.They we're putting that above the fact that thousands of young boys life was ruined because the BOY SCOUTS DIDNT PRACTICE WHAT THEY TOLD US TO DO,HOW TO LIVE.ONE  POST SAID THEY KNEW THE SUIT AND TIES IN THE NATIONAL OFFICE AND THEY WERE OUTSTANDING PEOPLE.WELL I DISAGREE BECAUSE ITS THOSE PEOPLE THAT ARE FIGHTING TOOTH AND NAIL TO KEEP THE REST OF THEIR LITTLE BLACK BOOKS WITH THE NAMES OF THE SICK BASTARDS NAMES THAT DID THIS.AND THE ONLY REASON THEY FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY IS BECAUSE THAT FIRE THATS BEEN BURNING OUT OF CONTROL FOR OVER 100 YEARS HAS REACHED THEIR BACK DOOR STEP,NOT BECAUSE OF THE VICTEMS. ESPECIALLY FOR THE VICTEMS THAT TOOK THEIR OWN LIFE BECAUSE A DAMN GROUP OF YOUR OUTSTANDING SUIT AND TIES IN TEXAS FAILED TO DO THEIR JOB. THE BOY SCOUTS WAS DEAD TO ME 40 YEARS AGO AFTER 3 YEARS OF ABUSE.THE DAY I QUIT AND BURNED EVERYTHING WITH BOY SCOUTS WRITTEN ON IT.AND BY GODS GRACE I MADE IT THROUGH 37 YEARS OF DRUG AND ALCOHOL ABUSE.I COULD CARE LESS IF THE BOY SCOUTS SHUTDOWN TODAY.THEY DIDNT CARE FOR US.I ALSO WOULD ASK EVERYONE THAT READS THIS TAKE A MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR THE ONES THAT DIDNT MAKE IT BECAUSE MONEY WAS MORE IMPORTANT TO THE SUITS AND TIES THAN WORKING TO PREVENT THE PURE HELL WE WENT/GOING THROUGH BECAUSE OF THEM.✌️

On 2/15/2022 at 1:18 PM, johnsch322 said:

Not really true. I never bought a ticket I was a victim I had no choice.

I would gladly give 

As an Eagle Scout who did not suffer the impacts of CSA in Scouting, and who has not had to live with that trauma since childhood, I have chosen to stop participating in these threads. I'm not sure I really have any right to do so, not when they have become such an excellent resource for survivors to connect with and support one another.

I would just like to say that I am pleased that these threads have become a rallying point for survivors.  I will once more bow out, but I will continue to read. From one former Scout to all you others, I hope a little good has come from all this evil. I hope you no longer feel so alone. And I hope you know that many of us are standing with you 100%, supporting any decision you feel is best for you when the time comes to vote.

• Thanks 1