Den Leader Award for dual hatted folks?

I would so love a test out/ test to shorten option for IOLS. I'll take the course when I can find one that doesn't interfere with a unit campout, but it's hard to make it a priority to spend a day learning to tie knots I already know. I'd actually appreciate a course that focused more in-depth on strategies to teach skills to youth, but I don't need to practice said skills myself.

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I got my DL award the CM couldnt get it together and kept saying the Council office lost it among other excuses.  I finally took it down and turned it in and explained  why there was no CM signat

Hand it to the council and buy the award. 

Seeing many Cub Scout packs, I think that the committee as distinct from the CC, CM, and DLs is a fiction in the vast majority of packs. The direct contact vs committee separation in troops is much mo

1 hour ago, malraux said:

I would so love a test out/ test to shorten option for IOLS. I'll take the course when I can find one that doesn't interfere with a unit campout, but it's hard to make it a priority to spend a day learning to tie knots I already know. I'd actually appreciate a course that focused more in-depth on strategies to teach skills to youth, but I don't need to practice said skills myself.

Why I use folks who need ITOLS to be "trained," but already know the material as staff.

I know someone who was super active in Scouting to the point his wife acknowledged she was a 'Scouting Widow" on weekends. Since he grew up in the program, he never needed basic camping skills and for his first 40 years as a Scouter, training was not a big deal, and he never went through it. Sadly he missed the test out option when it was available. But in all honesty we probably could not schedule a time to do the test out since he was always Scouting.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

When I did IOLS the instructor quickly realized my skill set and had me instruct my patrol. Interestingly it took quite a few years after for the course director to utilize me as a  council and district trainer. 

• Upvote 1