Den Leader Award for dual hatted folks?

If we have a committee member who is also serving as a Den Leader, are they eligible for the Den Leader Award?  Since committee functions don't really take place during Den or Pack meetings, we have a couple of people who filled the committee space so we can recharter, but they are also den leaders.  I suppose we can send the application up and see what District or Council says, right?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I got my DL award the CM couldnt get it together and kept saying the Council office lost it among other excuses.  I finally took it down and turned it in and explained  why there was no CM signat

Hand it to the council and buy the award. 

Seeing many Cub Scout packs, I think that the committee as distinct from the CC, CM, and DLs is a fiction in the vast majority of packs. The direct contact vs committee separation in troops is much mo

55 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

If we have a committee member who is also serving as a Den Leader, are they eligible for the Den Leader Award?  Since committee functions don't really take place during Den or Pack meetings, we have a couple of people who filled the committee space so we can recharter, but they are also den leaders.  I suppose we can send the application up and see what District or Council says, right?

The official answer is that the need to be registered as a DL. not a committee member.

"need to be registered" is the official answer.   

The answer I've often seen ... including from our council officials ... is if the person is doing the job, get them the recognition.  ... NOW ... it begs why the pack doesn't have everyone registered in the right position.  That is very important for training and knowing who works with the scouts.  BUT, that's the committee chairs job to get all that straight.  Don't penalize the den leader who's often only been in scouts for a few years and rarely has worked with chartering the unit and doing the registrations.  

The adult recognition awards / knots are about recognizing their investment and saying thank you.  

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 2

Seeing many Cub Scout packs, I think that the committee as distinct from the CC, CM, and DLs is a fiction in the vast majority of packs. The direct contact vs committee separation in troops is much more realistic.

• Upvote 3
7 hours ago, fred8033 said:

"need to be registered" is the official answer.   

The answer I've often seen ... including from our council officials ... is if the person is doing the job, get them the recognition.  ... NOW ... it begs why the pack doesn't have everyone registered in the right position.  That is very important for training and knowing who works with the scouts.  BUT, that's the committee chairs job to get all that straight.  Don't penalize the den leader who's often only been in scouts for a few years and rarely has worked with chartering the unit and doing the registrations.  

The adult recognition awards / knots are about recognizing their investment and saying thank you.  

The reason they aren't "registered in the right position" is because in order to recharter, you must fill the CC, Sec, and Treas, but not necessarily all of the DL positions.  Since we only have a small number willing to serve, we have to charter them in the committee jobs, plus the CM and ACM.  Some then fulfill other roles.  It would be great if parents actually volunteered, but we seem to have a high number of stay-at-home parents who don't have any extra time and very few people who work full time and have enough time to devote to the program.  

""The Work Is Done By Whoever Shows Up.""

Committees, in their support and policy role, are a VERY flexible title, role, responsibility.  In small Units, anyone who can meet to discuss and decide things is "on th committee"..  It is not unusual at all for s Den Leader (bless you) to also be another responsible person. Treasurer?  Committee chair?   COR (horrors !) ?  Event chair?  Blue and Gold Chairperson?  Committee "member"?    I know Packs (and Troops and VCrews) that welcome (eagerly !) any parent who would come and Talk Scout on the Committee Meeting evening to makle decisins, help the CM plan meetings, and arrange visits to ships, fire houses, museums and parks.  

Den Leader? Yes, get that Vregistration made and get'em the knot....

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Armymutt said:

The reason they aren't "registered in the right position" is because in order to recharter, you must fill the CC, Sec, and Treas, but not necessarily all of the DL positions.  Since we only have a small number willing to serve, we have to charter them in the committee jobs, plus the CM and ACM.  Some then fulfill other roles.  It would be great if parents actually volunteered, but we seem to have a high number of stay-at-home parents who don't have any extra time and very few people who work full time and have enough time to devote to the program.  

Absolutely.  I agree.  My pack(s) had to do that multiple times too.

My apologies.  Too late at night and I probably did not write sensitively.  I'm like that.  Sometimes I miss being sensitive.

I did not mean to put the emphasis on the registration issue.  I brought up registration to communicate that you should not penalize the DL because the registrations did not meet the exact award.  Often, the registrations are outside the DLs control.  

My emphasis was on the fill out the award application and get them registered.  IMHO, the adult awards are a thank you and should not be treated like the requirements in the scout handbooks.  

Edited by fred8033
11 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Absolutely.  I agree.  My pack(s) had to do that multiple times too.

My apologies.  Too late at night and I probably did not write sensitively.  I'm like that.  Sometimes I miss being sensitive.

I did not mean to put the emphasis on the registration issue.  I brought up registration to communicate that you should not penalize the DL because the registrations did not meet the exact award.  Often, the registrations are outside the DLs control.  

My emphasis was on the fill out the award application and get them registered.  IMHO, the adult awards are a thank you and should not be treated like the requirements in the scout handbooks.  

I haven't figure out how to register anyone in a dual roll outside of Scoutbook.  I'm the Cubmaster and Lion DL simply because the Treasurer and other Lion parent is new to Scouting.  Our past CC was also last year's Tiger DL and now Wolf DL.  The committee wants to put me in for the DL award as the Lion DL, but there is a line for the CM to sign off as well.  Might be awkward.

2 hours ago, Armymutt said:

I haven't figure out how to register anyone in a dual roll outside of Scoutbook.  I'm the Cubmaster and Lion DL simply because the Treasurer and other Lion parent is new to Scouting.  Our past CC was also last year's Tiger DL and now Wolf DL.  The committee wants to put me in for the DL award as the Lion DL, but there is a line for the CM to sign off as well.  Might be awkward.

@Armymutt, take the BS out of the BSA. If they’ve done the job get them the award.

Why does it matter? A uniform can get a little gaudy. But, it can pay off if a new parent comes on and you can say, “Look for the scouters with the knot, they’ve been there and done that and should be more than willing to lend a hand.”

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

It's not me that needs convincing.  Gotta get it past the District folks.  

When I turned in my paperwork for the den leader award, I then immediately walked into the scout shop and bought the knot. They just sell them. 

• Upvote 2

I just earned it in November. The Scouter Training Award, council sent me the medal. For the Den Leader Training Award, they didn't. I am just in the process of finding if they stock them or if I have to special order. I'm worried it has been discontinued since I don't see it listed any longer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 9:43 PM, fred8033 said:

Hand it to the council and buy the award. 

If you wish to have this "on your record", then you will need to go thru the paperwork process.

Did you know you each adult has an official awards record as well?  If you are on good terms with your registrar, you should ask for your own record. 

Please be mindful of your registrar's time; I do not recommend you ask for this frivolously.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.  You would need to find council training chair to get their signature.  Or talk with your registrar.  I really got to know our council registrars really well.  It was key to making my life easier.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-057_WB.pdf?_gl=1*1kkbx6w*_ga*MTQwNDgxODI5OC4xNTc5ODk2MDEz*_ga_20G0JHESG4*MTY0NDkzNTAyNC40Mi4xLjE2NDQ5MzUzOTkuNTc.&_ga=2.22106297.30730887.1644935025-1404818298.1579896013

• Upvote 1