Experience With Scouts in The Olympics

I'm still gathering ideas to present to the troop for a roll your own 2023 high adventure trip. The Olympics in Washington looks like a fantastic place with a lot of variety. 

Hike the Hoh River Trail to the Blue Glacier. Enchanted Valley Chalet. Beach trails. Then maybe have a side activity for whale watching.

I'm thinking of a 10-12 day trip and we would rent a van to take us from trailhead to trailhead. Backpack a few days in each area.

It looks like you need to go on recreation.gov 6 months ahead and book day 1, then next day book day 2, etc. for each area.

Just curious if anyone here has experience in this area and can make suggestions.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, MattR said:

Sea kayaking. We rented equipment and had a guide (ocean currents and tankers are not to be trifled with) but the experience was incredible for us land locked folk.

I have 1 adult who is a non-swimmer. He grew up on a farm in Wisconsin and never learned. I should have myself and another adult, so if he was OK with sitting that out, it would be an option. He also used to travel with a former Secretary of Defense who had a place in that area, so he suggested the whale watching.

We split the group in two and each half did something like 4 days kayaking while the other went hiking. Then we swapped.. You could go kayaking twice!

Or, maybe you can teach this guy to be comfortable in the water. It could be an incredible adventure for him.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 9:37 AM, MattR said:

We split the group in two and each half did something like 4 days kayaking while the other went hiking. Then we swapped.. You could go kayaking twice!

Or, maybe you can teach this guy to be comfortable in the water. It could be an incredible adventure for him.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. He's in his mid 50s and has made it clear he will not do water.

I likely can't get 4 adults for this trip to split up. I'm already struggling this year to get enough for summer camp and Philmont. And we're going to have to make it clear to parents if they don't help out, these things don't happen.

• 1 month later...

There is a ship you can book a trip on in the San Juan islands?

https://www.sssodyssey.org/bsa-charters-details

Or if you start considering something further south, the Sierra Nevada is awesome. Though backcountry permits have been crazy to get this year. One seemingly long term effect of the pandemic (or maybe the Insta craze) is that EVERYONE wants to get into the backcountry.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, UKScouterInCA said:

There is a ship you can book a trip on in the San Juan islands?

https://www.sssodyssey.org/bsa-charters-details

Or if you start considering something further south, the Sierra Nevada is awesome. Though backcountry permits have been crazy to get this year. One seemingly long term effect of the pandemic (or maybe the Insta craze) is that EVERYONE wants to get into the backcountry.

Yeah, the permits for the High Sierra make it a challenge.

I think we're leaning toward Yellowstone/Wind River Range now. The possibility of nothing but rain in the Olympics has pushed that option down the list.