Troopwebhost application

We use Scoutbook for tracking advancement and awards, and some communications, etc. we use A Shutterfly shared site for the troop calendar, event sign-ups, communications, photos. Our issue is Shutterfly is becoming less reliable and more buggy and we would like a solution that can do everything we need.

We use troop web host for the calendar and sign-up, as well as to help track advancement.  It works well and while I am not involved in this part, it seems to update scoutbook well.   Not too many bells and whistles, but works.

We use troopwebhost for our roster/communication/planning, but use Internet Advancement 2.0 (which is really just a different front end for Scoutbook) for all advancement. 

The mobile app for troopwebhost is bizarre, it needs to load all of the roster data every time you start it, so it is rather slow. 

The calendar and email features from a desktop/laptop are pretty solid, even though the interface is rather dated.

Transitioning a unit from one platform to another is a giant PIA, so do all the research you need to be happy with your choice. There will be at least a few months of transition pain no matter what you do.

We use Scoutbook with a GoDaddy website on the side. I would say that if you already use Scoutbook, I'd just start using that for calendar, RSVPs, permission slips, communication etc. Scoutbook does not have a public facing webpage, so you would have to choose something like GoDaddy or Facebook or others for that. 

• Upvote 1

I have experienced many apps.  I'd encourage you to use ScoutBook for roster and advancement.  It has a nice interface and it's the official source.  

Calendar, communication, finances, etc.  I'd be really tempted to use a combination of Google Documents and Facebook.  ... OR as our troop did ... the scouts communicate with each other better than we could.  Though I have not used ScoutBook much over the last year as my role has changed, I found it only useful for tracking roster, advancement and after-the-fact records (hiking, camping, etc)

I'd strongly ... STRONGLY ... encourage families to log into ScoutBook  to see their scout's records.

• Upvote 1

One of the reasons we use Scoutbook, is that if you set the RSVP and permission slip required, you can have a Scout manage this themselves. Also, the calendar now supports the Scribe, SPL, ASPL being calendar editors. It really is heading in the right direction on these sorts of items. 

• Upvote 1