February 1920 Century Magazine article

Scans of the an article in Century Magazine from February, 1920.  Very positive and descriptive piece, and reflects, in my view, much of what scouting is and was, but for some reason our society does not notice, or understand.  One of the photos in the article, showing service, I feel reflects the willingness of Scouts to interact with the Black community.1605001941_veryearlypositivefeedback2.jpg.thumb.jpg.0eaf4afc5acc14b40471a1d97824e6fb.jpg

Cool article! I consistently bring up the Scout Motto (on this forum and elsewhere) as the examplar of all Scouting Ideals; the article appears to agree with me.  I would suggest that beyond society not understanding, is many Scouters do not either as advancement seems to be the focus, with service relegated to a rank or mB requirement.

• Upvote 2

Yep, don’t get me started. As I watch the challenges my adult kids are facing in today’s politically correct culture, I believe the Scout Oath will have to be heavily modified because it is the moral pillar of character building. I’ve seen it happen in other countries.

Barry

Now I think it is good just as it is.  What needs to be modified is the ignorance of far too much of the general public.  If you need proof, just look at the continued success of the inane, and really stupid "reality" shows.  More and more, and some have been on air for a while now.  They make the soaps seem like good TV.  Of course, there is also the slow progression of little or no public concern about the use of vulgar language, even in front of kids.  And, that is magnified by the incessant beeping of stuff on TV.  Nobody is being fooled by the loud beeps, only the censors.  And I do not really think they believe they are doing anything with the bleeps.  It is all show for the legal stuff.  I no longer try to suggest to kids that using modified terms that do not actually use certain words is just like actually saying them.  Sadly, many of their parents seem oblivious to it as well.  Standards are not something many people seem to understand, or want anymore.  And while all this is going on, BSA is in the middle of this legal mess regarding abuse.  It is almost double speak.  So, I would suggest that the world in general could benefit from trying to live by the precepts of Scouting.  As I tell the youth; On My Honor, I will do my best".  Failure is okay IF they are actually trying to do their best.  I also stress that their best is not the same as anyone else.  Only they know if they are making that effort.  Of course, the concept of Honor itself is becoming a subject for many to make light of, just as they do so often with calling someone "a Boy Scout" in derision, as if those tenets were simplistic and meaningless.