Unit Recharter Struggles

2 minutes ago, yknot said:

This is where I am stuck. If we know gross buffoonery and safety issues are STILL occurring after being sued into bankrutpcy, why are we trying so hard to save this organization? Can it be saved? A small part of me thinks it's possible, and that's why I'm still here, but why should any volunteer have to fight so hard to keep kids safe in a 100 year old youth organization? 

If BSA goes away, we can still do Scouting.  And you should always be fighting hard to keep kids safe...no matter the organization or its age.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The issue both he and I highlighted was the fact that BSA at all levels "knew or should of known" the imminent threat of CSA throughout the organization. The documented knowledge of that irrefutable e

You make several interesting points: Traditionally, we know from observation that the majority of chartered organizations have acted more in the role of a benevolent landlord rather than treating

Makes sense.  Dioceses are independent businesses with their own lawyers AND their own state oversight requirements.  For example, my diocese has legal reporting requirements to the state AG as part o

6 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

And you should always be fighting hard to keep kids safe...no matter the organization or its age.

I'm sure you know that goes without saying. I'm not sure what your point is there. But it's only in scouts where you are banned or muzzled or labeled fun police for simply reading, knowing, and following the policies and procedures manual, which in BSA's case is G2SS. In any other youth organization it's not a battle to get people to follow it. If you don't follow it, you generally get tossed. BSA has a 100 year history with youth and it still has major disconnects when it comes to keeping them safe is my point. 

8 hours ago, yknot said:

But it's only in scouts where you are banned or muzzled or labeled fun police for simply reading, knowing, and following the policies and procedures manual, which in BSA's case is G2SS. In any other youth organization it's not a battle to get people to follow it. If you don't follow it, you generally get tossed.

Examples please!

Barry

9 hours ago, yknot said:

I'm sure you know that goes without saying. I'm not sure what your point is there. But it's only in scouts where you are banned or muzzled or labeled fun police for simply reading, knowing, and following the policies and procedures manual, which in BSA's case is G2SS. In any other youth organization it's not a battle to get people to follow it. If you don't follow it, you generally get tossed. BSA has a 100 year history with youth and it still has major disconnects when it comes to keeping them safe is my point. 

Ahhh...I see what you are saying...I misunderstood what you were aiming at...

Agreed...I even got skewered by National (and specifically Michael Hohnson) for pointing out inconsistencies and holes in the wording and implementation of policies.

As I said in another post somewhere, I have never seen another org "shoot the messenger" as much as BSA.

• Upvote 2

Two months later, I still can't get our recharter problems fixed by anyone at District. The volunteer didn't have the right access and the professional is new (they seem to have a revolving door). Her boss is mostly unresponsive.

I still have 4 messed up accounts. So I can't just send messaged through Scoutbook. I have to then also forward the message to the people with messed up accounts and not everyone can RSVP.

It's tough enough getting people to read my emails. I don't get paid enough for this.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:56 PM, yknot said:

This is where I am stuck. If we know gross buffoonery and safety issues are STILL occurring after being sued into bankrutpcy, why are we trying so hard to save this organization? Can it be saved? A small part of me thinks it's possible, and that's why I'm still here, but why should any volunteer have to fight so hard to keep kids safe in a 100 year old youth organization? 

My view is that I am greatly sadden by the events and actions of the past, I have no idea where scouting will be  in the next  five years . My greatest and only concerns is is for the youth here today.

Ps looks like i am in good company, Its nice to hear

• 2 weeks later...

Our chartering organization (a Catholic Church) has notified us that they will no longer be our CO at the end of 2022. They got a pile of letters from lawyers stating that they are next in being forced to contribute to the victim fund. 

I am actively moving my scouts to another troop in the city, so scouts in my troop can continue to benefit from the program. My council has offered to charter us, but I no longer have the energy to keep my troop going after two tough years keeping the troop afloat through the covid panic and the constant advertisements on radio and tv looking for boy scout victims of sexual abuse. 

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, Owls_are_cool said:

Our chartering organization (a Catholic Church) has notified us that they will no longer be our CO at the end of 2022. They got a pile of letters from lawyers stating that they are next in being forced to contribute to the victim fund. 

I am actively moving my scouts to another troop in the city, so scouts in my troop can continue to benefit from the program. My council has offered to charter us, but I no longer have the energy to keep my troop going after two tough years keeping the troop afloat through the covid panic and the constant advertisements on radio and tv looking for boy scout victims of sexual abuse. 

My sympathies.  It has been a hard several years.  COVID.   Infomercial legal process.  Continued slander against scouting.  It's been emotionally really hard.  Is there another that would be willing to setup as SM?  But your choice might be best.  Scouts needs a critical mass to keep the excitement in the program.  If this helps your scouts continue and have good experiences, it could be the right choice. 

Edited by fred8033
8 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Is there another that would be willing to setup as SM? 

My assistant has a job that requires a lot of travel. Other active adults are having trouble finding time for scouting, because they are single parents or have jobs where they work 50-60 hours a week. Cub scout numbers in my city is down 66% over the past two years, so it has been a struggle to find parents to join the committee/scoutmaster corp. 

I am actually looking forward to joining another troop and contributing at a smaller role. 

12 minutes ago, Owls_are_cool said:

My assistant has a job that requires a lot of travel. Other active adults are having trouble finding time for scouting, because they are single parents or have jobs where they work 50-60 hours a week. Cub scout numbers in my city is down 66% over the past two years, so it has been a struggle to find parents to join the committee/scoutmaster corp. 

I am actually looking forward to joining another troop and contributing at a smaller role. 

I'm not there, but it sounds like the exactly right answer.  ... Maybe ... post-covid ... when scouting recovers from all the damage, the demand for a 2nd troop will grow.  Let the next passionate dedicated scouting volunteer take up that flag and spin off another troop ... when the time is right.  

Like suggested in another thread.  Are the scouts having fun?  Making friends?  Being active?  The troop number doesn't matter.  

We only get one life.  Might as well enjoy it. 

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1
On 5/4/2022 at 9:55 AM, Owls_are_cool said:

Our chartering organization (a Catholic Church) has notified us that they will no longer be our CO at the end of 2022

My unit is awaiting a final decision on what will happen with UMC as a chartering organization.  In the meantime, all Catholic Church chartered units in our council have been told that the church will no longer charter units effective 12/31/2022.

1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

My unit is awaiting a final decision on what will happen with UMC as a chartering organization.  In the meantime, all Catholic Church chartered units in our council have been told that the church will no longer charter units effective 12/31/2022.

Our council covers multiple states. It is interesting that the Catholic dioceses in some states have ceased to charter Scouting units but not in other states. It is also clear that at the national level the UMC is seeking to continue a relationship with the BSA.  Assuming that the proposed settlement is approved, it appears that there may be a variety of options open to local congregations that wish to continue some level of involvement with the BSA.  It may be a traditional chartering model or more of a "landlord" relationship that limits CO liability.  Our own UMC sponsored units are in a waiting mode also.

However, several of our area UMC's have chosen not to wait and have severed all relationships with BSA programs. The level of potential liability as well as active oversight is more than they wanted to assume. Some of these relationships had endured for decades ... until now. 

One factor that stands out to me is that this is not just an issue that promised insurance coverage assurances only will solve. It is the realization that a chartered partner relationship involves a lot of time and persons willing to very actively serve as the chartered organization representative(s). There is a LOT of required liability and accountability. For many of the aging churches, it is a struggle to even fill critical church board positions with capable persons.  The demands of sponsorship is more than they can meet.

• Upvote 3
58 minutes ago, gpurlee said:

One factor that stands out to me is that this is not just an issue that promised insurance coverage assurances only will solve. It is the realization that a chartered partner relationship involves a lot of time and persons willing to very actively serve as the chartered organization representative(s). There is a LOT of required liability and accountability. For many of the aging churches, it is a struggle to even fill critical church board positions with capable persons.  The demands of sponsorship is more than they can meet.

I'm on an ecumenical board with about a dozen area churches, some of whom sponsor scout units. Three quarters of them are about two warm bodies and an unexpected bill away from closure. There is no way they want to continue charters. 

• Upvote 1