Lifelong impact of child sexual trauma (USA Today)

I tried to post this earlier with a nice, long intro. It was so good I can't replicate. ;) Anyway, this is worth a read for any who want to brave the dark waters to better understand the survivors in your midst.

I have said this before but not for a good while. I'll repeat it now. I (we?) greatly value this forum, platform and conversation. I continue to be grateful for the outlet, even on the occasions I feel somewhat less than resoundingly welcomed. I know when I abruptly came out of lurking and chimed in many moons ago, I interrupted your Scouter conversation. In the overwhelming majority of cases, you have sidled up to listen, heard with an ear to understand and are willing to engage productively. Yes. It's hard for you and hard for us. I resist saying harder, but some will allow me to imply as much.

I will hush up now and just say this is a difficult, but worthy read.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/life/health-wellness/2022/01/10/summer-camp-child-sexual-abuse/8650964002/

Edited by ThenNow
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ThenNow said:

Anyway, this is worth a read for any who want to brave the dark waters to better understand the survivors in your midst.

I am always amazed when I read stories such as Peters about how much I can relate.  Not every detail not every word but there are constant themes that I can see that happened in my life.

I know that you and I and other survivors have tried to paint a picture of what life has been like for us and I think it is a shame when sometimes we are relegated to the back of the room.

I cannot expect a nonsurvivor to understand what we are constantly living with but here are two quotes from this article that I think pretty much sums it up.

"Sexual victimization is a betrayal. It's a betrayal of our belief that the world is a just place and a betrayal of our trust in the people who are supposed to keep us safe. It's a betrayal of our own bodies."

"Norman took something from me that was the most intense violation of my life: He took my ability to love," Peter said. 

• Upvote 1

Back to one of my favorite thoughts.  Balanced and well written.  It seems to reflect somewhat accurately the realities of the time it occurred, and the responses of various individuals.  And, while BSA is noted, as is the Catholic Church, they did not turn the article into a verbal lynching of them.  It accurately notes that at the time, too many societal responses and ideas were not in accord with what is better known.  At the same time, it also does not blame the camp, but rather the perpetrator and cutltural attitudes.  

I have to wonder if the camp was not a small, mostly well respected facility, but instead had franchises and could be considered to have financial resources, if we would not see some lawyers coming out of the woodwork to milk it.  But, that is perhaps my own skewed views of the legal system as a whole, and not just my exasperation with what I continue to see as an unfair, or "unbalanced" response to the BSA, especially since they too seem to have been responding with the common manner of the times, and is some respects, like with the IV files, were even going a bit farther.  The size of BSA, in comparison is a factor, and this article certainly points out that it is not a problem just for BSA or the Church, but rather a still shadowy thing, often hidden by the victims themselves, some of whom still choose to keep it in the dark of the past.  

Thanks for sharing the link.  It helps to get a bit clearer reflection on the issue, even as it does speak of connected concerns of how to respond, and also how to help.  

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 3:06 PM, johnsch322 said:

I am always amazed when I read stories such as Peters about how much I can relate.  Not every detail not every word but there are constant themes that I can see that happened in my life.

I know that you and I and other survivors have tried to paint a picture of what life has been like for us and I think it is a shame when sometimes we are relegated to the back of the room.

I cannot expect a nonsurvivor to understand what we are constantly living with but here are two quotes from this article that I think pretty much sums it up.

"Sexual victimization is a betrayal. It's a betrayal of our belief that the world is a just place and a betrayal of our trust in the people who are supposed to keep us safe. It's a betrayal of our own bodies."

"Norman took something from me that was the most intense violation of my life: He took my ability to love," Peter said. 

Thanks for sharing.