Enough to allow you to give correct info if needed and to evaluate fairly the completion of the written requirements.  Ideally, of course, you might specialize in a subject, which SHOULD make the prior comment mute.  On the other hand, and this is just my opinion, we should not have counselors that really have no background at all in a subject unless they pursue that level of knowledge prior to taking it on.  Obviously, some things are pretty straight forward, but many are open to interpretations of some things, and some ask the Scout to actually discuss it.  So, the mentor should be able to be at least on that level, and preferably a bit higher.  

52 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Depends on merit badge, e.g., the shooting sports merit badges list more qualifications than say Basketry.

As a start, look a Section 7, The Merit Badge Program of 2021 Guide to Advancement

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf

Thanks RS; that is what I should have done I guess.  Of course we also have to have approvals on the council level, as well as YP and in some states other certifications.  

• Upvote 1

Example.... Nature MB.

I am not a Biologist, but I volunteered at a Natural Science museum after HS.  Also have a B.S. degree.  Is just having some knowledge good enough or is a specific degree and/or career in the subject matter required?

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/Merit_Badge_ReqandRes/Nature.pdf

IMO, I know you can counsel these requirements.

Make the class interesting and fun for your scouts. Some thoughts:

- take it outside

- flavor class with your interests, make it fun for you!  For example, what animals have eyes that reflect light and what color light?

- add habitat discussion during identification. Where does this species go at night, in winter, what does it eats, what eats it. Diseases - what they spread to us, what we spread to them (deer with covid?).

- have scouts setup a trail camera, bug collection screens (compare species collected from daylight, cool white light, warm white light, yellow light)

- visit a local nature center and get some expert help particularly in identifications - sight, evidence (scat, shredding, bark rutting,...), sound, smell. Most interesting fellow was a local exterminator, my scouts could have listened to him all day talk about bats. He explained he did not kill bats, rather encouraged them to hang elsewhere.

20 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Since I don't get to be a Den Leader any longer I am considering taking the MBC training.

What level of proof of competency is required for a particular MB to be a counselor? 

The "proof" required totally depends on your local council or district, depending on who is approving MBC applications.

12 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Is just having some knowledge good enough or is a specific degree and/or career in the subject matter required?

There is good discussion and guidance in the Guide to Advancement 2021, starting on page 40 (Section 7)  This is a good read, and recommend you take some time to digest it.  

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

Sadly in my area there is zero verification of competency/qualifications.

Here, I got the third degree when I submitted my application locally to counsel 60 merit badges.  So, I submitted a spreadsheet listing qualifications and experience, including copies of my pertinent certifications. (About 15 pages worth of documentation, just to make the point.)  All were approved 😜  And I am about to add another! (and maybe later the Cit in Society.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OcbeGqbpU&ab_channel=Fledermaus1990

The average person could do at least 10 or so, comfortably.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter

@InquisitiveScouter    you are a SupermanSmall.png.9605955bca42d21d1874fffe118da882.png MBC for 61 merit badges and "The average person could do at least 10 or so, comfortably."  ??? :huh:

Before covid, I remember a meeting where some suggested  MBC's have a simple uniform of a sash with the merit badges they counsel - advertising I guess.

Edited by RememberSchiff
1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

@InquisitiveScouter    you are a SupermanSmall.png.9605955bca42d21d1874fffe118da882.png MBC for 61 merit badges and "The average person could do at least 10 or so, comfortably."  ??? :huh:

Before covid, I remember a meeting where some suggested  MBC's have a simple uniform of a sash with the merit badges they counsel - advertising I guess.

Lol, thanks!  No, just a jack of all trades, master of none.  And lots of different experiences in life, Scouting, and the military.

Here are an average 23 that most Scouters could (or should be able to) do without specialized training or being a professional in some field:

(NOTE to Scouters...if you cannot go through the requirements for any of these and be able to counsel a Scout, please consider "earning" these merit badges on your own.  Yes, you could take at least one merit badge class at Summer Camp or elsewhere!  You'll learn a LOT and have some fun, too.  They'll make you a better Scouter.)

1.  American Heritage

2.  Art

3.  Automotive Maintenance

4.  Backpacking

5.  Camping

6.  Citizenship in the Community

7.  Citizenship in the Nation

8. Citizenship in the World

9.  Citizenship in Society

10. Communication

11.  Cooking

12.  Emergency Preparedness

13.  Family Life

14.  First Aid

15.  Hiking

16.  Home Repairs

17.  Nature

18.  Personal Fitness

19.  Personal Management

20.  Pets

21.  Reading

22.  Scholarship

23.  Scouting Heritage

8 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

- have scouts setup a trail camera, bug collection screens (compare species collected from daylight, cool white light, warm white light, yellow light)

Trail cams and collection by photo or notebook sketch are great Leave No Trace/Outdoor Ethics ways to meet some of the requirements in some of these outdoor oriented merit badges or rank elements. There really is no reason to actually collect specimens from the wild, even insects. Unless they are invasives, like Lantern Flies, they all serve a purpose that should be respected as much as possible. The goal is learning and you can learn just as much by observing or taking a photo. 

4 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Here are an average 23 that most Scouters could (or should be able to) do without specialized training or being a professional in some field:

"should" being the key word.

We must also remember that many Scouters are little more than "tenderfoots" themselves.

7 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

MBCs here wouldn't be able to get a sash with their respective badges. The Scout Shop would require the counselors show our ScoutBook advancement report showing that we had properly earned the MBs.

• Like 1