New California law regarding volunteers and others working with youth.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://mandatedreporterca.com/training/volunteers    I thought I had posted something, but cannot find it.  We were notified in the last day or two by council of the new law, and I have alr

On the other hand, now that PA’s law is in place, I find working with it to be very convenient. It’s very handy to have a standard process for every youth organization I volunteer with.

The Fingerprinter's Union lobby is a powerful group.  They are always looking for new revenue streams.  Govco is paying off it's supporters 😁

1 hour ago, skeptic said:

What?

I do not know the details of the law, but my Fingerprinting MBC and CSI guru told something like that. Basically the fingerprints can only be checked against current criminal records, and not against active cases.

7 hours ago, skeptic said:

Still, could that not be done with the one already on file?  What am I missing?  Or is it to see if you match the one already on file perhaps?  Our council has indicated they will attempt to offset some of the cost that might be incurred, though not sure  how that might work, as it has not been set up yet.  

No, it's not about whether some agency has your prints on file, it' s whether the person that is applying for something today is in fact the person they claim to be, or if I'm being really precise, whether the person who is applying today has any kind of criminal record that can be found by examining the fingerprints being submitted today.

Not sure what the big deal here is.  You give a fingerprint when you get a drivers license, when you go into the military all kinds of situations.  You may even be asked to give a thumbprint when you purchase a car.  Who cares I have nothing to hide fingerprint me all you want.

For me it is simply why more sets when they already are on file with the state anyway.  Just seems another time and money annoyance, mainly the time.  But I am old and hate driving places that I can avoid.  

29 minutes ago, skeptic said:

For me it is simply why more sets when they already are on file with the state anyway.  Just seems another time and money annoyance, mainly the time.  But I am old and hate driving places that I can avoid.  

There you go trying to inject common sense and practicality into things again!  Will you never learn?

Maddening isn't it??

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, skeptic said:

So if you apply for something new or renew and you don't give a fingerprint set for identification how does anyone know it was you applying or renewing?

1 minute ago, johnsch322 said:

So if you apply for something new or renew and you don't give a fingerprint set for identification how does anyone know it was you applying or renewing?

Any number of ways...with an established form of ID... driver's license, passport, or other state or federal issued ID.  No established ID?  OK, now it's time for fingerprints... 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Any number of ways...with an established form of ID... driver's license, passport, or other state or federal issued ID.  No established ID?  OK, now it's time for fingerprints... 

ID's in all forms can be copied so if you have set of fingerprints on file the fingerprints you give when renewing will give verification....correct?

25 minutes ago, qwazse said:

The official description of FBI identity history, and how to check it, may be found here: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

Thanks; it is now much clearer to me what is going on with it.  I guess I should have understood that part of the actual background check includes the fingerprints, which then allows the process as noted with the procedure above.  That then will not only validate the prints for their file, but also verify that no criminal issue is connected to my prints already on file.  

6 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

What state requires a fingerprint? Not the state that I live in. Not even for a "real id". 

I got my DL in 1991 and I am unsure if they fingerprinted me then or not. (State of Texas)

I do know I had to get fingerprints when

I got my Real Estate License.

I was on the Board of Directors for my kids preschool (working around youth)

I got my CHL.  That one was Texas Dept of Public Safety and the FBI.

I'd like for some of that to be used rather than having to go in again/. :)

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I'd like for some of that to be used rather than having to go in again/. :)

Once you start requiring finger prints, it's going to be required again and again.  It's more than having the finger prints on file and more than checking if you are a criminal.  It's also to prove you are who you say you are ... comparing newly recorded finger prints to previously on-file finger prints.