Advice for a new District Commissioner?

I'd second the importance of DO NOT USE UNIT LEADERS.  I think this applies to

• current unit leaders from the same unit
  • current unit leaders from a different unit
  • former unit leaders from the same unit

It all comes down to agendas; somehow inserting their own views / agenda with some sort of passive authority over the unit?   Or, bring too much current/past history that damages being an outside friend to the unit?  

IMHO, the best UC is a retired SM/ASM (for a few years) that is well respected and is just looking for an excuse to stay connected to scouting and wear the uniform.  ... Sadly, they get scooped up into other district roles way too fast.  ... It's why I often describe a UC as a unicorn.  People tell me they exist, but I've not seen one yet.  I've seen very useful district commissioners, but not unit commissioners.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good contingent of UCs is important, and as stated earlier, try to avoid using direct contact leaders to fill those positions.

Strong ADCs, particularly those involved in Roundtable are important.  Be sure that you have people in place who are not afraid to disagree with you when needed, and above all else, do not let it overwhelm you and become the sole driving force in your Scouting life.  We have lost more than one DC who did not know how to delegate and trust his people.  That just leads to an ultimatum from the spouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been working with our Troop long enough now that I just realized that all of the Scouts Eagling out, or finishing at 18 were not old enough to know my son when he made Eagle.  So I've seen some District Commissioners come and go.  Lots of good advice here to reflect on, and a couple other items:

- When you visit, ask the leaders "how" questions "How do you find campsites to reserve?", "How do you plan meals on campouts?",  "How can I help you?" . . . 

- Figure out which units are doing something well, anything, and ask them to give a hand with a unit that may be struggling in that space. Just one ask, not a lifetime commitment, but the bridges you build between leaders, the stronger your district will be. 

- The people that are doing the work (unit leaders and assistants) are gathering the wisdom you need. Learn from them and respect them. Ignore the professionals - if you are wise you will figure out why.