An option we are missing for the youth?

On 12/23/2021 at 8:14 PM, mrjohns2 said:

@RememberSchiff's link shows that it is...

• Develop leaders with the willingness, character, spirit and ability to advance the activities of their units, our Brotherhood, Scouting, and ultimately our nation.

There's a difference between what is and what it was supposed to be.  The 1992 OA Handbook does not identify this among the purposes of the Order.  Three out of the four focus on camping.  The fourth focuses on leadership in cheerful service.

Somewhere along the way, the purpose got muddled and then diluted.  Probably why our attendance is so low and our officers are in their position because they were the only ones who happened to show up that night.  

To bring this back around to the topic, the OA is an example of an option for youth that started locally and grew nationally.  The problem today is that there is little room for a Scout to stretch their wings and get creative.  Too many helicopter leaders produced by too many rules that came about from a too litigious society.  My SM in the late 80s had been in the troop since 1932.  His rule was essentially do what you want, but don't get hurt.  He put it on us to take responsibility for our safety.  That meant sending someone down to check the depth of the water before we jumped off the cliffs.  That meant learning how to tie a Swiss seat and snap in correctly before rappelling down a rock in the state park.  The older Scouts looked out for the younger Scouts, and when the "older Scouts" happened to be 8th graders, he and the ASM (in the troop since 1955) stepped in to train that Scout.  They forced us to be leaders at an early age, including risk assessment.  There's a reason they weren't too concerned when my buddy and I were riding a log down a swollen river.  We had a contingency plan and executed it without panic.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 12/24/2021 at 3:17 PM, Eagle94-A1 said:

I agree. I do not believe national will listen based upon their history of ignoring volunteers. Anyone remember the 2015 Eagle Palm Survey they sent out? 18% were Against  and 76% Strongly Against "Instapalms," yet they did it anyway. And there are other polls, where the results were never posted.

Considering the National OA Committee is majority adult, IMHO OA is not a youth run organization. I can't remember what the big controversy was a few years back as old age is getting to me. But I do remember the National OA committee had 60+ members on it ( I want to say 63, but it may have been 66, again old age)and only the National Chief, National Vice Chief, and 1 other youth sat on that committee. The National Vice Chief at the time was from my lodge, and he  refused to talk about the issue when asked. From the body language, tone of voice, and gestures made when asked, he seem ticked off every time the topic came up.

A recent National Chief came  from my lodge.  He wouldn't or more likely couldn't talk either.  I've always wondered exactly what goes on at such high and exulted levels,  guess  I'll  never know.  Oh well, I'm much happier in the woods than in a boardroom

• Haha 1