Saws, knives, and training to prevent unkind cuts

1 hour ago, SSScout said:

A "Monster Maul"  . You can still find similar, but not the same,  today: 

We used one of these on Camp Staff to split wood. No wood splitter for us. It was awesome. I can't believe that nothing like it is available today. I looked a few years ago. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I  feel obliged to point out that mathematically if you cut a corner off a totin chip card, which is a rectangle, the resulting irregular pentagon now has five corners.  As you keep cutting off corner

I don't believe it ever went away, it has just been changed over the years. For example: YOU NO LONGER CUT DOWN A TREE! Come on, Paul Bunyan and you don't cut down a tree? What sort of Paul Bunyan is

Loppers is probably my most used yard tool. Perfect for car camping. But, many of the saw injuries we tended to occur on back packing treks where minimal equipment weight is priority. Even hatchets ar

Posted Images

My college roommate was nicknamed 9 Finger Louie. In high school him and his buddy were goofing around - while he threw up a stick his buddy would try to cut it in half mid air with loppers. No need to tell the end of the story and a reminder that no tool with a blade is idiot proof.

• Upvote 1

This is going to touch a nerve (pun intended), are we still cutting corners from Totin Chips?  As a longtime scouter from the 70s until now, I think that practice really doesn't make sense anymore.  We don't burn corners from Fireman chit that I know of.  I think cutting corners is the only thing I've seen in Scouting where this type of result happens from being "unsafe".  Just some posted comments mention how common injuries are.  I think we need an azimuth check whether this is still a necessary practice.

Confusing like this example:  At one camp, scouts were not allowed fixed blade knives.  This intent was for pocket type knives without any specifics given.  But, every chef kit had a paring knife and 8" carving knife.  Doesn't really make sense to me.  Also, there was no size limit on the folding knives.  We won't even mention how machetes in Panama were carried by about every scout.  Crazy standards/rules sometimes.

1 hour ago, Double Eagle said:

This is going to touch a nerve (pun intended), are we still cutting corners from Totin Chips?  As a longtime scouter from the 70s until now, I think that practice really doesn't make sense anymore.  We don't burn corners from Fireman chit that I know of.  I think cutting corners is the only thing I've seen in Scouting where this type of result happens from being "unsafe".  Just some posted comments mention how common injuries are.  I think we need an azimuth check whether this is still a necessary practice.

Confusing like this example:  At one camp, scouts were not allowed fixed blade knives.  This intent was for pocket type knives without any specifics given.  But, every chef kit had a paring knife and 8" carving knife.  Doesn't really make sense to me.  Also, there was no size limit on the folding knives.  We won't even mention how machetes in Panama were carried by about every scout.  Crazy standards/rules sometimes.

I do not cut corners.  If you violate the rules, there is stern correction and a warning.  Second offense, you lose your knife and access to tools for the duration of the camping trip.  Third offense is a loss of Totin Rights until you can demonstrate verbal knowledge of safety practices and rules, and demonstrate practical safe use handling and care again, of all tools (basically, repeating requirements for Totin Chip.)

We've had multiple first offenses (mostly from younger Scouts who forget the rules or haven't handled the tools much), rare second offenses, and no third offenses in all my days.  Corrective action, education, and discipline to restore into the fold....it works, and young people respond to it.  Never any public displays of this.  Always done kindly and discretely...and yet, word somehow goes through the Troop like wildfire 😜

Telephone, telegraph, tell-a-Scout...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

…. Corrective action, education, and discipline to restore into the fold....it works, and young people respond to it.  Never any public displays of this.  Always done kindly and discretely...and yet, word somehow goes through the Troop like wildfire 😜

Telephone, telegraph, tell-a-Scout...

I do not cut corners. I advise the PLC that they may do so … especially if there’s a spate of safety hazards involving sharps.

Discretion is quietly asking a fellow scout for his Totin’ Chit, cutting the corner, and assuring him you trust he’ll do better and need advance no more on the trail-to-stop-sign.

I  feel obliged to point out that mathematically if you cut a corner off a totin chip card, which is a rectangle, the resulting irregular pentagon now has five corners.  As you keep cutting off corner after corner you eventually arrive at a circle which has either no corners or infinite corners.  

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Got a knife kit for Christmas which is 95% knife scales carving and fitting.  The scales material is black Micarta made from layers of hardened resin linen.  Never worked with Micarta, should I just make my own wood scales?

Edited by RememberSchiff

The biggest difference in working with Richlite or Micarta is that you're basically cutting hardened glue.  Chisels dull very quickly,  normal hand saws are useless.  I usually work it with carbide tipped blades, hacksaws. files, and silicon carbide sandpaper.  220-320-400 grit.  600-800 if I'm going for a high gloss finish.  

The stuff is nearly indestructible, but as for me give me highly figured Cocobolo or Desert Ironwood every time.

• Thanks 1

The two handle grips (scales) that came in the folding knife kit are flat composite pieces that the customer works (cuts, files, sands) to the desired fit. I wondered if working Micarta was worth it for me and thanks to @Oldscout448 advice,  I will shape some oak or birch scales from flooring scraps and set aside the Micarta.

• Thanks 1