Saws, knives, and training to prevent unkind cuts

35 minutes ago, JoeBob said:

I'm pleased to observe that 'Paul Bunyan' has returned.

http://www.usscouts.org/advance/ScoutsBSA/PaulBunyan.asp

In the mid sixties this was a hands on course offered over a few days at Scout Camp.  I learned the skills from a great teacher, and stepped up to fill the void when he left.  Our award had a button hole in the end of the handle and dangled on your right pocket under the flap. 

What's a prybar used for in the woods - assuming no nails are involved?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I  feel obliged to point out that mathematically if you cut a corner off a totin chip card, which is a rectangle, the resulting irregular pentagon now has five corners.  As you keep cutting off corner

I don't believe it ever went away, it has just been changed over the years. For example: YOU NO LONGER CUT DOWN A TREE! Come on, Paul Bunyan and you don't cut down a tree? What sort of Paul Bunyan is

Loppers is probably my most used yard tool. Perfect for car camping. But, many of the saw injuries we tended to occur on back packing treks where minimal equipment weight is priority. Even hatchets ar

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, MattR said:

What's a prybar used for in the woods - assuming no nails are involved?

Moving large logs into position for cutting, and for moving rocks when doing trail work.

See requirement 7 in the Paul Bunyan...you would use this to meet the requirement to build the retaining wall or irrigation way.

The long prybar (rock bar, crow bar, tamping bar, lots of other names and configurations...) could be used for both logs and rocks.  I also have, teach, and use a cant hook (would like to get a Peavy one day) for the logs, but you can't (pun intended) use it for rocks.

https://woodmizer.com/us/how-to-choose-a-cant-hook-vs-peavey

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

BTW,

Here's an awesome Forestry Service resource for axes...mainly for use by adults who want deep knowledge...

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/php/library_card.php?p_num=1823 2812P

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE NEWEST VERSION OF THAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and yes I am screaming in joy at ya :) )

Last time I taught ITOLS, between my 1967 BSA Fieldbook and the 1950 or 60s version of the book you posted ( which was still THE book in use), these were the resources I used for wood tools.

4 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE NEWEST VERSION OF THAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and yes I am screaming in joy at ya :) )

Last time I taught ITOLS, between my 1967 BSA Fieldbook and the 1950 or 60s version of the book you posted ( which was still THE book in use), these were the resources I used for wood tools.

You are most welcome...it says it was updated October 2020.  I had not seen it until very recently...

2 hours ago, JoeBob said:

I don't believe it ever went away, it has just been changed over the years. For example: YOU NO LONGER CUT DOWN A TREE! Come on, Paul Bunyan and you don't cut down a tree? What sort of Paul Bunyan is that?

• Upvote 4
21 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

I don't believe it ever went away, it has just been changed over the years. For example: YOU NO LONGER CUT DOWN A TREE! Come on, Paul Bunyan and you don't cut down a tree? What sort of Paul Bunyan is that?

It's lame, that's what it is...don't really know where that came from, but I have a good guess...

My old PB card says, "Demonstrate how to fell a standing tree 4 inches or more at the butt..."  I recall an old OSHA regulation saying anything more than 6 inches required safety gear, but I cannot find this reference anywhere now.  Apparently OSHA applies to felling any standing tree now (https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/1998-03-04-0) (maybe ridiculous?)  And, you will be hard pressed to find any references in modern BSA literature to youth felling a tree (Fieldbook included), including G2SS policies.

If you know of any current BSA tree felling guidance anywhere, please point it out to me...I'd love to read it.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter

In order to mitigate pine beetle and fire hazards our camp and state and county parks have felled lots of trees. Maybe the forestry MB mentions this.

BTW, those hooks to move logs I've seen. They work much better than a long prybar. I will leave prybars for rocks, tiles and 2x4s.

18 hours ago, Eagledad said:

A surgeon once re-attached two parts of my hand because I used a saw unsafely. 

Because of that experience, not taking wood-shop class wasn’t an option for my sons. I was counting on the Oldscout448’s to teach my sons how to use shop power tools safely.

I started my adult leaders wood-tools training class by explaining that the worst damaging flesh injuries in scouts came from saws. Not from not knives, not hatchets, and not the really scary axe. When a scout runs the teeth of a saw across his knuckles, it leaves a scar for life. You’re not only afraid of the wrong tools; your fear is dangerous because it makes you spend too little time teaching the proper safe use of all woods tools.

Accidents will always happen, but they occur a lot less after proper training.

Barry

Send 'em over!  Anything  but radial arm saws.

• Like 1

When I lived in my "Wellbilt"  cabin (a package house, built in the 1930's ) , it had a neat "heatorlator " fireplace and I used wood. This is the best tool I ever bought, A "Monster Maul"  . You can still find similar, but not the same,  today:  

MonsterMaul.jpg

I remember it was delivered only the head wrapped in newspaper and the delivery label stuck to the wrapped head . Parcel Post !  The mailman dropped it (!) on my porch !  12 pounds of steel ! Optional rubber grip!    Man, did it split bolts.... 

Edited by SSScout
On 12/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, JoeBob said: