There has yet to be an example where changing the troop brought success in this thread.

But here is your chance Ed!

Why don't YOU share one of of YOUR examples. You are always crowing about how it's ok to "tweak" the program, and shared how YOU do things, in YOUR troop.

Share with us some of your favorite tweaks and the success you have reaped from them.

Share with us your "success" Ed. How did you do it?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed I am confounded by the degree of exaggeration that you seem to puposely use in your posts.

Ed writes "Bob,

Do you think I am that monumentally stupid?

I ask you Ed, have I ever said you were monumentally stupid? Can you or anyone else find a post where I called you monumentally stupid?

The thought that perhaps you were monumentally stupid has never even crossed my mind let alone my keyboard.

I am sure there is a reason that you do not answer questions about successful scouting but I have never considered monumental stupidity as even remotely related to it.

I just think you lack content on this particular topic. But that aside, I would hope that you could still respond without these gross exaggerations.

BW

Ed I am confounded by the degree of exaggeration that you seem to puposely use in your posts.

Ed writes "Bob,

Do you think I am that monumentally stupid?

I ask you Ed, have I ever said you were monumentally stupid? Can you or anyone else find a post where I called you monumentally stupid?

The thought that perhaps you were monumentally stupid has never even crossed my mind let alone my keyboard.

I am sure there is a reason that you do not answer questions about successful scouting but I have never considered monumental stupidity as even remotely related to it. I think it is for the same reason that I don't post on micropaleontology.

I would hope that you could still respond without these gross exaggerations.

BW

Bob,

No you have never said that! However your condescending attitude toward anyone who doesn't agree with you is apparent.

I am finished with this self serving pointless thread! Your purpose here was nothing more than to prove you are correct & no one else is! Well, you win! Happy!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I should really know better than to get involved in this, but like a moth to a flame, here goes....

When DL for my older son's Wolf den, I noticed that all the boys selected knives for their popcorn sales. After discussing it with the parents, I had the den earn their whittlin' chip as Wolves. We figured that since the boys all had knives, it was better if they learned to handle them safely rather than wait a year.

Since knife safety and the Whittlin' chip is clearly part of the Bear program, not the Wolf program, I would consider this a change, albeit a minor one.

And since this series of threads started as a discussion of patrol size, I'll note that when that den started as Webelos, we wound up with 12 Scouts, well above the recommended number. Three of the boys moved away, but the remaining nine all earned their Arrow of Light. Of that nine, only one has dropped out of the troop since cross over. Seven of the eight who are still active are on track to make First Class by spring. The other one missed summer camp and is considerably behind the rest, but we're trying to get him caught up. If you discount the boys who moved away, that's an 89% retention rate over the Webelos-to-Scout transition period -- a pretty good measure of success.

Thats a great success, but I don't see its relationship to teaching Whittlin' Chip ayear early?

I also miss how giving them the information early is altering the methods of Cub Scouting. Of course I would hope you would at least refresh their memory with a revisit to the safety and use of knives.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob White,

I ask your forgiveness for the words that poured through my keyboard tonight. I have disliked your attitude for a long time and I apologize for not being more patient/friendly. I have been unkind towards you with my own attitude. You are able to reach beyond my limits. You have made it difficult for me to maintain the standards that should be easy for me to keep by the time I have reached my age in Scouting. I have failed to keep the Scout Law.

I will start again.

FB

Fuzzy I have no idea what you are taking about.

I share you frustration in this conversation. I cannot understand how people pound their chest and declare their dedication to a program that they change at will into something different.

I am especially bewildered by those who change back to the program and do not even know it.

A scout is friendly but a scout is also Loyal and brave and stands up for what he believes is right.

I believe that standing up for the program is the right thing to do. I do not accept that someone who refuses to follow the program dispite scouts quitting their troop in huge numbers is "doing the best he can". If he refuses to follow the program how can it be said he is doing his best.

The closest I have come to really unfriendly is when I pointed out two posters who lied. A couple people accused me of calling people names.

If a thief breaks into my house and I call him a thief, is that a bad thing? If I see him in another persons home and I warn them that that person is a thief, is that a bad thing? I do not use liar lightly, when I point him out it is to warn others of the danger before thay are harmed as well.

Fuzzy we do not agree on a number of things. The biggest difference I see is I don't talk from what "I say scouting is" I share what the resources and training materials and handbooks say what scouting is. If thats a problem with anyone, then that's their problem.

I have not attacked anyone personally only challenged their methods as opposed to the scouting methods. Some on the other hand when they lack the content to defend their position switch immediately to calling me names and making base comments about my loyalty to a program.

That to me is unfriendly.

Have a good night

BW

• 3 weeks later...

When does the 'Program' not work? Look in the mirror. When it causes dedicated scouters like yourselves to spend a hundred hours debating and slamming each other over a nonsensical question. That is time that could have been spent changing a boy's life and transforming the 'Program' from the perfect world of paper to real-life, with all of its human imperfections. Those hours are gone and wasted, but there is still time. Get out from behind your computers and work with a scout. Every hour counts and too many have been wasted here.

WWBPD

Deut. 23:13

Thank you for your concern WWBPD but I notice you enjoy posting as well, and I do not suggest that while posting YOU do not take take to work with scouts.

The purpose of this forum is for people to post. Are you the only one capable of participation here and in scout activities, or would you be willing to accept that others do as well?

In which case your scolding way out of line.