What if we dropped Chief Scout Executive and brought back Chief Scout

On 12/4/2021 at 9:10 AM, RememberSchiff said:

Thoughts on need, requirements, responsibilities of a Chief Scout.

OK, some initial thoughts, but many of these would have to be fleshed out, so take them with a grain of salt...

Need:

No, the Scouts don't need a Chief Scout, per se, but they do need an advocate who THOROUGHLY understands the program and remembers what the adventure is all about, and looks at things through that lens.  The Chief Scout is more like the nation's Scoutmaster.

BSA may not need a Chief Scout, but they sure do have an image, professional reputation, and PR problem, which they have not been able to solve for decades (?)  Having a Chief Scout could be a positive. 

Requirements:

1.  Celebrity?  I have a tough time with this one.  On the one hand, no, as it removes the idea of egalitarianism.  On the other, the Chief Scout would need to be a personality that Scouts would be draw to / drawn by.  Celebrity would certainly help in this regard, but it is not a requirement.  My personal belief is that the Chief Scout should be a "normal" person, not someone who is several standard deviations from the norm...

2.  The program has been around long enough...the Chief Scout should be an Eagle Scout, Quartermaster, or Summit (or have been an Explorer).  There is no substitute for experience in the program, and experience as a youth gives the Chief Scout more street cred.  Cub Scout experience a plus, but not required.  Must be a  "Scout's Scout".  That is, must be a skilled outdoorsman who craves adventure and fun.

3.  Must have a "Scoutmaster" image.  I'm not intending to fat shame anyone, but if you look around at most Scouting events, many adults do not present a healthy image.  Scouts need a good physical role model.

4. Available.  Being the Chief Scout is a "full time" volunteer job.  Chief Scout should not be an ancillary duty or "thing on the side."  There are people out there who fit this bill, but they may be scarce...

5.  Should have extensive experience at the unit level as an adult.  Scoutmaster experience required.

(Now that I cogitate on this...perhaps a team of adults...Chief Scout, Chief Explorer, Chief Venturer, Chief Sea Scout, and, sure, Chief Cub Scout (why the heck not?) with those people having experience in those programs.)

Responsibilities:

1.  Serve a four year tenure.  Only one term, then pass the torch to a new Chief Scout.

2.  Take office at the end of the National Jamboree.  Serve each year visiting Troops (including overseas!) and attending a camping trip per month around the country (as a guest is fine). 

3.  Write a running PRACTICAL column for Scout Life, based (possibly) on their camping trip per month, or other adventures.  Write it from the Scout's view and do not touch any BSA policy questions, or other "adult" concerns, at least directly.

4.  First summer of tenure, attend National Camping School in an area director discipline of your choice and work at a Summer Camp for the season in that role.  (Must not be your home council's camp.)

5.  Second summer, attend a World Jamboree to represent, and also attend a High Adventure Base as part of a crew from a regular unit.  Participate (observe) all planning and training in the lead up to the event.

6.  Third summer, serve as a unit leader at Scout Camp (could be a running provisional unit). Then, participate in a long-term, unit-level high adventure activity. 

7.  Fourth summer, attend the National Jamboree.  Say goodbye and introduce the new person at the end of the Jamboree.

8.  Give input to Scout Handbook, Fieldbook, and to MB and Award requirements.  Reduce "academics" and push adventure and practical experience.

Lots more could be added to (or deleted from 😛  ) this...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Wow @InquisitiveScouteryou have given much thought to this. Maybe your scouter hat should be a thinking cap? :D

Give some thought to accessibility, i.e. , local events.  Not many scouts attend Jamborees or HA bases. 

Like this??  Cool enough for you @Eagledad?? 😜 

And, yes, that is the idea...a few weeks at different summer camps each week...much more exposure that way...

1960s Man Wearing Dunce Cap Canvas Print / Canvas Art by Vintage Images

5 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

3.  Must have a "Scoutmaster" image.  I'm not intending to fat shame anyone, but if you look around at most Scouting events, many adults do not present a healthy image.  Scouts need a good physical role model.

Responsibilities:

Scoutmaster image

The Scoutmaster.jpg

Add to Responsibilities:

IMO, frequently uploaded candid photos of Chief Scout with scouts. Maybe something online, Where is the Chief Scout?

Sends out a Holiday/New Years Greeting/Challenge to Scouts.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Requirements:

1.  Celebrity?  I have a tough time with this one.  On the one hand, no, as it removes the idea of egalitarianism.  On the other, the Chief Scout would need to be a personality that Scouts would be draw to / drawn by.  Celebrity would certainly help in this regard, but it is not a requirement.  My personal belief is that the Chief Scout should be a "normal" person, not someone who is several standard deviations from the norm...

Good point. Certainly other Scouting organizations have use celebrities to bring attention to their programs and become the face of their Scouting:

- Scouts of Canada Chief Scout is tv's "Survivorman" Les Stroud.

- I did not know that UK Chief Scout Bear Grylls recently spoke at UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow.

https://www.scouts.org.uk/news/2021/november/chief-scout-bear-grylls-speaks-at-the-un-climate-change-conference-cop26-in-glasgow/ 

- since 1974, the Chief Scout of the Boy Scouts of the Philippines has been the President of the Philippines

Should we have a non-celebrity, "normal" Chief Scout where scouts are the face of our Scouting. Hmmm.

Edited by RememberSchiff

So, I've been thinking a little more about all this, and asking myself why the National Commissioner (NC) does not seem to fill the role?  So, I read an article about the NC

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2021/07/13/scott-sorrels-bsas-national-commissioner-discusses-the-organizations-next-steps/?utm_source=scoutingwire&utm_campaign=swvolunteer7212021&utm_medium=email&utm_content=

With particular note on the last section of the article:

--------------------------------------------------------

The path ahead

The leadership is in place for the BSA to step up post-pandemic and post-bankruptcy to fulfill the needs of American families. Teamwork will be needed for the next step.

“Our volunteers have to reach out and embrace and partner with their professionals,” Sorrels says. “We’ve got to build a collaborative team like we never have before. We’re going to have fewer professionals, and that means that we as volunteers will step up even more to help move us forward.”

In the end, parents, unit leaders, council executives, national staff — we all have the same goal: to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes.

“It has to support the local councils because that’s where Scouting is delivered,” Sorrels says. “We’ve got to deliver the resources they need to be successful.”

------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm....No.  Can you see the disconnect between this message, and what many have been trying to get across here in the forum?  Can you parse out the buzzwords, talking points, and sound bites?   

Here's the message re-written:

====================================

The path ahead

The leadership is in place for the BSA to step up post-pandemic and post-bankruptcy to fulfill the needs of American families. Teamwork will be needed for the next step. Scouting has what our youth and our country need. Scouting families and volunteers across the nation know this.  They are our heart and soul of our local units.  Families and volunteers are making the program work in units through all the challenges we face.  They are the team who make the dream of Scouting happen: an adventurous game with the purpose to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes. 

“Our volunteers have to reach out and embrace and partner with their professionals,” Sorrels says. “We’ve got to build a collaborative team like we never have before. We’re going to have fewer professionals, and that means that we as volunteers will step up even more to help move us forward.”

In the end, parents, unit leaders, council executives, national staff — we all have the same goal: to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes.

It has  All our efforts have to support the local councils units because that’s where Scouting is delivered to our young people,” Sorrels says. “We’ve got to deliver the resources they units need to be successful.”

==========================================

I'd love for you all to take a stab at crafting the message, please :)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Ummm....No.  Can you see the disconnect between this message, and what many have been trying to get across here in the forum?  Can you parse out the buzzwords, talking points, and sound bites?  

I'd love for you all to take a stab at crafting the message, please :)

Not "The Path Ahead" rather IMHO it should be "Follow the Lead of Volunteers".