What if we dropped Chief Scout Executive and brought back Chief Scout

We NEED a public spokesperson for our Scouting program, a Chief Scout, akin to Bear Grylls with the UK Scouting Association.

Some requirement ideas:

Leader

Enthusiastic and active (young!) adventurer and scout program supporter.

Has vision of future and how scouting can contribute.

Someone who has the creds to challenge scouts.

Can make time commitment.

Good public and online (youtube, TikTok, etc., oh and scouter.com :D) personality and role-model.

NOT a BSA employee.

Nominated by scouts and scouters (yeah voting/survey is not a core competency ). Confirmed by Commissioners (not NEC, Not NEB, not a PR firm)

An example candidate.  Well you look, he's all that AND an assistant scoutmaster too!

or maybe candidate  , a former scout, Cub Scout volunteer.

No doubt there are more!

Thoughts on need, requirements, responsibilities of a Chief Scout.

My $0.03 (inflation)

P.S. Mike Rowe has been mentioned in the past, maybe he's aged out?

Edited by RememberSchiff

I'd do it.  And I have the pedigree, the time, and a healthy dose of skepticism when dealing with the professional side 😜

Cover my expenses for travel, meals, accommodations, uniforms, etc. to fulfill the role, and I'm in...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
Removed the kilt remark...having second thoughts
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I'd do it.  And I have the pedigree, the time, and a healthy dose of skepticism when dealing with the professional side 😜

Cover my expenses for travel, meals, accommodations, uniforms, etc. to fulfill the role, and I'm in...

IMHO, it would be cool to encounter the Chief Scout, distinctly yet plainly uniformed, on the trail or at camp.

6 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Cover my expenses for travel, meals, accommodations, uniforms, etc. to fulfill the role, and I'm in..

Yes, but can you show the scouts how to gut a yak and sleep inside the carcass for an emergency shelter? Face it, that would make scouts cool.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMHO, it would be cool to encounter the Chief Scout, distinctly yet plainly uniformed, on the trail or at camp.

One of my mentors ran into Bill Hillcourt on a Philmont trail. His crew invited Bill to stay with their crew for dinner and he told stories all night by the campfire. That experience motivated my mentor to become a SM at age 21 and he just retired in his 60s just a couple years ago. Pretty cool story.

Barry

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

@InquisitiveScouter please tell us more of your prospective tenure as Chief Scout.

What input, oversight should Chief Scout have over Handbook?

LOL!

I had written quite a treatise to answer your request for requirements/duties/etc., but my scouter.com editor went wonky on me... I'll spend some time and write them again...

Definitely should be a contributor to the Scout Handbook!  As a Scout's Scout, the Chief Scout would bring the eye and viewpoint of someone who has been "in the trenches" with the manual, and make it more approachable and readable.   (Should also contribute to MB's and awards requirements, where Chief Scout has particular knowledge first, and then from the viewpoint of the Scout's Scout for other MB's...)  I could give you many, many examples of this...

3 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

LOL!

I had written quite a treatise to answer your request for requirements/duties/etc., but my scouter.com editor went wonky on me... I'll spend some time and write them again...

Definitely should be a contributor to the Scout Handbook!  As a Scout's Scout, the Chief Scout would bring the eye and viewpoint of someone who has been "in the trenches" with the manual, and make it more approachable and readable.   (Should also contribute to MB's and awards requirements, where Chief Scout has particular knowledge first, and then from the viewpoint of the Scout's Scout for other MB's...)  I could give you many, many examples of this...

Are we talking about youth or adult?

Barry

Thinking about the Chief Scout idea, I wonder if it should be a National authorization by an un-corruptible 3rd party. The scouter has to apply for it with a resume and proof of legitimacy. A national 3rd party could maintain quality control to hold the authorization's integrity. Maybe the authorization should only last while the scouter is registered.

I would be interested in being part of something like that.

Barry

• Like 1