Eagle Scout Project Idea Dilemma

There seems to be some drama with the sequence of events between two scouts that are both Life Rank -- they are in different Troops, but attend the same school and are on the same sports team(s). I am putting it back on the scout in my Troop to determine his next move....but wanted to see what others think?

Apparently my scout was talking about vespers at a church's camp at a track function/meet, and how he wanted to do it for his eagle project (but was trying to figure out lumber costs,  what would be needed for the project, how to get the area bushwacked, timeliness, etc).  Both the Scoutmaster for the other Troop and another scout were also there, and were talking about it with my scout. Then last week, I was told by the other Scoutmaster  that his scout was redoing vespers at the nearby church's camp...much to my astonishment, since that was what my scout had been talking about all summer/fall.

It's not the most scout-like thing to steal another boy's project (one of our scout laws is trustworthy, one is courteous) -- and I think my scout has done more work on the planning aspect of the project to be prepared to present his ideas and get them approved. BUT, on the flipside, if my scout was not proactive and someone else moved forward with it before him, then perhaps that is a good life-lesson to not procrastinate in the future.

I informed the scout family in my troop that if they wanted to have a sit-down with the other Troop and scout/scout family, that I would be willing to do that and go over the details of the situation, and try to find an amicable resolution. I also told them that they should look into other ideas... I think my scout would be willing to work on other projects that the church may need...he is not the type to engage in a confrontation, so I think he will just let the other scout have the project and  see what other options may exist. 

The paper trail is a bit weak...
-Neither scout has signed paperwork at this point in time (not from the church, their committees or the eagle advisors)
-Neither scout has had a face-to-face (or zoom) meeting to present or discuss their ideas in front of the Church Session (whom would have to sign off on the project). 
-The Church Session does, however, have an email from my scout requesting a meeting to discuss the project (that was sent in the last couple of weeks).
-And a member of the Church Session also had a conversation with the other scout's father asking about the potential project, but it was not with the entire Session at a meeting nor was it with his scout (the other scout's father is also their Troop's SM). 

Does anyone else have any other ideas or suggestions?

Not sure what vespers are (other than an evening prayer).  Assume they are some sort of benches, worship area?

Sounds like neither Scout has gotten a project proposal developed or approved. 

2 possible options. 

1 - Does the work entail enough that is could be two projects?  If benches or a worship area, maybe one Scout does the front X rows and the other Scout expands the project and does the back X rows?

2 - First come first serve

• Upvote 1

I'm with Jameso76 in much of this. 

Nomenclature/definition....  Vespers to me means a set of prayers, a worship service.   Are we talking about an outdoor chapel of some design?  Does it exist already and needs  renovating,  embellishment?   Or is this totally new construction? 

The two Scouts need to have a sit down.  Perhaps with the church leadership first, then with their respective Scout Leaders.   I would hate to think there is some adult dramatics involved (shudder).   I would encourage the Scouts and church leadership find enough "project " for the each of them.  Perhaps (!) the Scouts can develope a joint project acceptable to the church AND the Scout District Committee?  Wow, what a concept. 

Edited by SSScout

Exactly...we had two Scouts "team up" to do a local project like this at a place of worship.  One did the benches and the other did the raised stage and rostrum.  The projects were complementary and were done at separate times.  One Scout (the stage and rostrum) won the ESSP of the Year locally...

A few observations:

1) Wrong focus:  It is not about the project!!!  It's about the growth of the young person.  Use any and all of these situations for growth and learning how to deal with setbacks and competition. Teach him to look for the win-win instead of the win-lose.  See #2.

2)  What does the church want??  I guarantee you there is enough work at ANY church camp for fifteen Eagle Scout Service Projects.  Have your Scout meet with the Church Session to see what their needs are, and to discuss options and complementary work that could be done with any other projects in the planning.

3) You are right about the "flip side", and very wrong about the front end...please don't make accusations like "steal".  as @Jameson76 said, it is "First come, first served."  BTW, were you at the track meet where this was potentially discussed?  If not, you have zero idea what went down except your Scout's muddled half (or third) of the story...

2 hours ago, mrd14513 said:

It's not the most scout-like thing to steal another boy's project (one of our scout laws is trustworthy, one is courteous) -- and I think my scout has done more work on the planning aspect of the project to be prepared to present his ideas and get them approved. BUT, on the flipside, if my scout was not proactive and someone else moved forward with it before him, then perhaps that is a good life-lesson to not procrastinate in the future.

• Like 1

If the boys are both passionate about the church, encourage that. But if they haven’t even started writing a proposal, I’d take it as a sign that they aren’t all that passionate.

Encourage them  be aware of what the other members of the church — not just one other scout — are doing. If you have any association with the church  let the clerk of session know that these boys are probably some months away from implementing any service project and that whatever each comes up should be somewhat independent of the other.

Then walk away. These are Life scouts. It’s for them to sort out with their mutual beneficiary.

P.S. - this could be a win-win. With projects these days requiring two-deep adult supervision, a larger adult pool should translate into more time when the scouts could be adequately supervised.

• Upvote 1

Seems like mostly a learning opportunity at this point.  The worst thing the adults can do is get in the middle of it with some attitude issues, as has been suggested already.  The key is that whatever transpires, each of them does a complete project, complemetary or not.  We had twin brothers years ago that did project independently but at the same non-profit.  They both turned out well, and the recipient of the service was thrilled.  Initially, the troop had to deal with the youth and their parents not quite getting that it had to be two separate activities.  Of course, at the time, the two were twins that were almost joined at the hip.  It was definitely a learning and growth experience for all of us.