Permission slips when parents attend?

3 hours ago, Armymutt said:

Are permission slips required when parents are attending an event?  Seems redundant.  I can't imagine a parent taking their Scout someplace and then saying that they are not allowed to be there.

Yes. Things happen where the parent doesn't attend at the last minute. Or the parent has to leave mid-way through an event, but the Scout stays with the event.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Armymutt said:

Are permission slips required when parents are attending an event?  Seems redundant.  I can't imagine a parent taking their Scout someplace and then saying that they are not allowed to be there.

Permission slips also usually include some version of liability release; they're more than just permission to be there.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:40 PM, Armymutt said:

If the parent doesn't attend, who takes care of their Cub Scout?  We aren't a drop off Pack.  

Your original question didn't specify Cub Scouts. I was thinking how it might also apply to Scouts BSA Troops, where most Scouts do not have a parent in attendance with them on outings.

The slip is important, especially should the youth get separated from the parent in some manner and the parent cannot be found or brought in a timely manner.  Most permission slips, scouting related or otherwise also have medical authorizations for emergencies too.

23 hours ago, awanatech said:

Your original question didn't specify Cub Scouts. I was thinking how it might also apply to Scouts BSA Troops, where most Scouts do not have a parent in attendance with them on outings.

Literally in the Cub Scouts forum.  

Scouting is best when it's consistent.  Schedule.  Rules.  Permission slips. ... You will have scouts coming and going.  Parents coming and going.  It's too hard to know if ... when the parents leaves for an afternoon ... if you have a permission slip from the scout to handle an issue. 

Just get the permission slip up front for all scouts participating.  

• Upvote 1
On 11/18/2021 at 9:58 PM, Armymutt said:

Literally in the Cub Scouts forum.  

My most sincere apologies for reading the post and not noticing that the sub-forum title contained pertinent info for the question. When I look at the forum, I just pull up Unread Content. I look at all of the content as it comes up. I did not pay attention to the sub-forum that it was in. I read the body of the post itself. I literally read the question in the post as it was written, not the sub-forum title.

Doesn't change my answer though. Yes, they are still required.

Edited by awanatech

OK, so the permission slip is NOT REQUIRED by BSA, except for flying activities.  This is written right on the form itself.

"The recommended use of this form is for the consent and approval for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, and guests to participate in a trip, expedition, or activity. It is required for use with flying plans."

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/19-673.pdf

If your unit policies or your CO requires it (or even your council may dictate), then it is REQUIRED.

Now, having previously had a law professor as our CC, I picked his brain on lots of stuff...specifically this form.

His legal advice for our unit was to require the form, if for no other reason than as a demonstration of due diligence and duty of care.

https://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/due-diligence.html

https://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=599

• Upvote 2

I repeatedly try to convince my adults that permission slips are the best way of unit-to-scout-to-parent communicate. This is from my experience as a scout … especially as an SPL coordinating drivers. We scouts filled in the details on the slips three meetings in advance of the event, we returned them two meetings minus go time so that each PL could plan accordingly during the meeting before the event. They seem to be of the mindset that a half dozen redundant Emails and texts are more efficient.

At the Cub level? When all parents attend? I’m not so sure how helpful they would be.