Unit Recharter in Question

3 hours ago, fred8033 said:

NCS ... National Camping School ... I'm aware of it, but I know zero unit adults that have used NCS in their unit.  That's always about council staff running council camps.  Unit scouters use G2SS.  If it's not in G2SS, it's effectively not real guidance to units.  

I agree, it National wants units to know about it, it needs to be in the G2SS and other unit accessible literature, not in NCS books that most units never see. Theoretically, the councils are suppose to pass along the info. At least in my current council, it is usually the volunteers who are telling the council what the rules are. Heck my district was informed at camporee that about 85% of the skits, the majority of which have been around forever, are not longer allowed according to new NCS guidelines .

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their advocates will have us believe that not all victims of childhood sexual assault are litigants. So, no, by their own argument, we are not blaming survivors, or even a majority of them. If the cur

The words don't support your interpretation. The first sentence is talking about an activity ... singular ... a camp out, a trip, a high adventure ....   Any activity that is 72 hours or more.  T

This has been debated and clarified. It is not a multi activity odometer. It really means something like summer camp. You can leave at hour 71 and come back and have it reset. Yes, you could go on mul

1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I agree, it National wants units to know about it, it needs to be in the G2SS and other unit accessible literature, not in NCS books that most units never see. Theoretically, the councils are suppose to pass along the info. At least in my current council, it is usually the volunteers who are telling the council what the rules are. Heck my district was informed at camporee that about 85% of the skits, the majority of which have been around forever, are not longer allowed according to new NCS guidelines .

Thought about this a bit more.  IMHO, NCS doesn't apply to unit camping.  NCS is a document for those running council camps.  https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/national-camping-school/

It's not about units not "knowing".  It's that NCS doesn't apply to units.  BSA has too much contradicting info.  I'd argue that statement in NCS was about units not competing with council camps.  Now, it's migrated to G2SS.  I'm not sure that's a good change that will last long term.  It's like the tour permit.  Now local councils need to approve units working together?  Sounds like providing a LC paper trail for future lawyers.  

Edited by fred8033

We have a lot of local campgrounds that don't meet those criteria. No potable water, you must bring your own. No permanent bathroom or shower facilities, it's a hike to a port a john somewhere. No garbage disposal, it's carry in carry out. No permanent shlelter for activities. If it's more than a drizzle and a tarp won't handle it, pack up and go home or reschedule. Cubs don't do wilderness or extreme weather camping. I was the person who was involved in handling permits and paperwork for a linked pack and troop for years and this never came up with council or anywhere else. I am absolutely sure it will in the future though. Interesting how there always seems to be another rule you didn't know you were breaking....