challenges ahead for the troop

For the second time in my tenure with the troop, we are going to be trying to replace both the Committee Chair and the Scoutmaster at the same time.

The last time this happened was just after I became SPL.

Now, about 5 years later, I am ASM.

In fact, you could probably say that I am the Assistant Scoutmaster.

Let me explain things a bit.

Our CC is a parent that got involved because of his kid, and because he is an Eagle Scout and so has more Scouting experience than most of the other parents. Unfortunately, he is like many parents and is finding it increasingly difficult to juggle commitments to his kids, church, job, and the various other things he is responisble for. Therefore he announced at the last Committee meeting (we have the unfortunate habit of blending committee and parent meetings into one) that he would be stepping down in the near future and a replacement must be found.

No one was particularly excited about this, as the Committee has a hard enough time finding people to take other jobs such as co-ordinating fundraisers, or filling out basic paper work. Fortunately one parent indicated he would be willing to consider it, but this by no means is a complete answer to that challenge.

Now our SM is a great guy. He joined the troop as an adult a week or two after I joined it as a youth. That was about 9 years ago. He has been active in Scouting most of his life and wanted to find a way to contribute in the area. So he became an Assistant Scoutmaster. He had times he was at almost every meeting, then other times he wouldn't be around for months due to other things.

Now he is an overworked, overextended single parent of a kindargartener. When he took the SM's position a few years ago, he told the committee he would stay until the first boy got his Eagle. Everyone had been counting on that happening sometime between now and a year from now. However, his situation has grown more complex with his son in school and other activities, and the first Eagle is looking later rather than sooner. So, while most of us knew he would be going soon, we hadn't thought he would be going quite yet.

So, last Thursday the CC announces he will be going soon.

The next day the SM calls me to tell me he will be resigning immediately, and he lets the committee know the same thing.

This leaves the troop in the position of trying to find replacements for both of its most critical and dedicated volunteers.

The last time this happened our COR held us together. It doesn't look like he will be able to put in the same level of effort this time.

So, who does that leave to make things work?

It leaves a 21 year old Assistant Scoutmaster that is temporarily home on a sabatical from college, and a bunch of parents with little experience or understanding of the program.

It looks to me like the parents/committee, with help from the COR and CO are going to have to find some new volunteer leaders fast or else the entire troop will soon collapse.

I know someone will ask me to take over as SM, but that isn't a solution to the problem.

I don't have enough distance from some of the youth to really be seen as the Scoutmaster.

I don't have the training to know what to do.

I don't have the real world experience to figure out how to make it work.

I don't know what my future plans are well enough to take on such a commitment.

I don't think I will be home past the end of spring at the latest, so that isn't really enough time to take the position.

I know the parents will pull together to help out for a while, but they will drop back off the radar once we have a new SM and CC, and I certainly can't do the job alone.

I know the district has enough problems (no DE, not enough volunteers, lack of motivation, lack of commitment, poor organization, no unity, no money, many units in trouble) right now that it won't be able to offer much in the way of help in finding volunteers, or in training them if we find them.

The council is also in a bad spot at the moment, so I certainly wouldn't expect any help from that dirrection.

We celebrated the troop's 25th anniversary not long ago.

I wonder if we will have the chance to celebrate the 30th?

Wow Proud Eagle, what rotten luck.

From other posts I would have expected you to be much older. You seam wise beyond your years.

I think your first duty is to your education. But you can help. Once CC learns of the SM situation, try to convince him stay on until a new SM is found.

Maybe the CO can appoint a search committee to begin the task of finding a SM and CC. Remember they should be finding and asking qualified people not waiting for someone to volenteer.

Look at it as an opportunity to find someone even better than your last SM.

Dont sell your council short. They may be going through tough times but they still have a job to do. Your committee should inform them of the situation and ask for help.

Good Luck,

PNScouter

I would gladly contact the UC or DE...

if we had either one of those things.

We do have a District Commish, but he is busy trying to hold a couple of other units together, and of coarse run round tables and trying to find other commisioners. I am sure he will help if he can, but I doubt he will be able to do much.

The Field Directer is our former DE, so perhaps he may at least have some useful ideas.

Ultimately though, I think this is going to wind up being an in house operation with the parents, committee, and the church (which takes a mostly hands off approach) we are chartered to having to figure out a solution on its own.

I certainly hope things will work out, but at the moment I am not certain exactly how. In the mean time, the best thing I can think of to do is try to keep the program quality up as much as possible, but I am not certain how much of an impact I will be able to have in that department.

Hey neighbor. Sorry to hear about your problems.

If you can find a parent out there that is willing to take on some of the responsibility - maybe even a parent coming up from next year's 1st year scouts - you can approach him and say "I know this scouting stuff, and can practically run the troop. The problem is I'm too young to do it by myself and get the respect that I need from the boys. I'll do everything I can to help you be successful, but we need a more mature person to be SM at this time. How about it? Can we partner together to make this a success?"

Tonight was the first meeting without the SM.

We spent most of the meeting working on a service project with some members of the church's mens group. That went pretty well.

Then we ironed out some details for a camping trip this weekend. That was a little less organized, but went OK.

We also had a discussion about the fact that things will continue as always, but that it will take an extra effort from everyone, and that we will have to pull together a bit to get through things. We then cleaned up and then circled up for the closing. There were final announcements, then I read a letter from the SM addressed to the troop (intended for the boys, but I asked the parents to join us as well). Then we closed the meeting.

Afterwards I had a nice talk with the SPL, a couple of the parents, a somewhat less great talk with one family that is hoping a will jump in and change a bunch of things, and then I started checking to see if we were the last ones in the building.

I wound up finding the Cubmaster just as his meeting wrapped up. We had a nice long talk as well. Turns out he is new to that job.

Anyhow, I think meetings will go pretty smoothly for the rest of the year. We had a good number of parents who showed up to help keep an eye on things. The bulk of the remaing meeting have already been planned out at least in part. We are basically wrapping up all the ongoing badges, requirements, and other things before we take our extended holiday break. We stop meeting around Thanksgiving, and don't meet again until after Christmas, because we do a tree sale as our major fundraiser during that time of year. It is good because it gives us all a chance to get caught up on paperwork, make a good amount of money for the boys in a short period of time, and gives the boys a chance to work on badges and requirements on their own for a while.

We are scheduled to have our annual planning meeting just before tree sales start, so over the break we will have a chance to start doing research on the details of how to make the plan work for next year. Then we can review it once we start back again.

My biggest challenge personally is likely going to be getting all the parents to understand what my role in the troop is for the next couple of months. Some seem to think I am doing the SM's job, others that I am just there to run meetings. Once we get that all figured out, perhaps things will work even more smoothly.

Though the current situation does cause some serious uncertanties. SM conferences are an obvious one. I don't entirely feel comfortable with that. Also, some of the boys will be starting to plan Eagle projects soon, and I am somewhat uncertain what we will do about signing off on that if we don't have an SM. We had one boy ask me tonight about signing a form for him to go to Philmont and do Rayado (however that is spelled) next summer. I told him to contact the just resigned SM, since he is still registered as the SM at the moment, but I wasn't certain that was the right call.

Another problem is the previous SM did some things in a non-standard way in some cases. Some parents were already after me tonight to reverse his decisions on counting some MB requirement and the like. I more or less told them it was my intention to follow BSA policy, but that it was really up to the MB counselor, and on some other issues up to the committee.

The transition period is going to be the worst part, because no one is really in charge in the way the SM is. I don't really have the authority to make the sort of decision he did, nor do I want to. On the other hand, we can't just go ask the committee every time some decision needs to be made.

I think I am going to have a hard time not taking on the role as Scoutmaster. The more I think about, the more I realise I wasn't acting like an ASM, but like an SM tonight. The problem is that I am not the SM, nor should I be.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

Proud Eagle,

Sounds like you've got the stuff to be SM, and even if you do not, youre it, at least for now. Maybe, in the intrest in keeping your program together and running smoothly, ask your COR and CO to appoint you interim SM until they can find a more permanent replacement. Put that patch on your shirt and do it. You know how.

Thank you for your service to your unit.

Proud one -

Congratulations on your first meeting as "defacto SM". PNS has a valid suggestion, if you are willing to take the chance that interims often become permanent. It's just the way it is in volunteer-land. I volunteered to be "interim children's minister" at my church, and have just recently moved out of it (almost 4 years later).

Your answer regarding following policy is spot on. Tell them that you may not know the right answer all of the time. But you'll find out and make the call according to policy.

SM conferences are tough at first, especially being younger. Get another adult (maybe the CC or a Committee member) to participate with you at first. This may ease the pressure.

For Eagle help, get with your district advancement chair for help. Seems like I remember you are in Seneca? If so, you've got a great DAC.

Regarding Philmont, if you feel confident in the boy's ability to participate, then I would have no problem with you signing it. Be honest, and put "ASM" next to your name. If you aren't sure whether the boy is ready or whether the SM would have signed it, I would recommend you calling the SM for advice.

I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that you think I may be able to help you with, since I'm local.

I became the scoutmaster of my troop at the age of 21 when the current scoutmaster resigned for a few undisclosed reasons. Now I am 23 and still the scoutmster and loving every minute of it. I learned quickly that it takes a big team effort by all the parents, other leaders, and the boys themselves in order to be successful. At first, I felt that I needed to do everything but then started sharing responsibilites so it is not all on one person. Since then, the job has been a lot less stressful and quite enjoyable.

Basically, what I am trying to say, is that if everyone helps out, since we all have our own talents, then it does not put as much pressure on one person to do everything. I have so much support by everyone in my troop, that I am still able to take off for the summer and work at a Summer Camp that I have worked at for the past 8 years.

Well, we had another troop meeting last night.

I can't say that it went very well. In fact, it was a pretty poor meeting for the youth.

Fortunately, I was able to meet with the committee which helped get some important subjects out of the way.

Among the ideas I pushed was the value of training, the need to ensure we have adequate and current publications, and the fact that we can not do a good job of planning the next calendar year until we conduct a thorough examination of the troops current situation, evaluate our past performance, and determine in a broad sense our future goals.

The committee chairman also did a good job of outlining my role in the troop to everyone. I was glad someone else was able to explain that reasonably well.

Unfortunately, there were some things that were said (and not said) that caused me a good deal of concern. It turns out no one has bothered to talk with our COR about the situation. Also, no one had considered asking the church for help. Certainly the idea that the district or council could be of at least some use was not entertained.

Also, the mention of Fast Start and Youth Protection received a non-reaction that indicated that at best one or two people on the committee had ever even heard of them.

Finally, there was one issue I had considered perhaps the most important in the short term. It is certainly the issue that the youth are the most concerned about. That issue being selecting the new youth leaders for next year. It is past time for the current SPL and others to be replaced, so it really needs to be done before we take our long break for Christmas tree sales. Having the junior leaders selected before the start of the year will also allow an opportunity to give them at least some training in their positions.

Now, here is what the issue was. The last couple of times that youth leaders had been selected, they had been appointed by the SM, and the committee chair had backed up these appointments. I had indicated during a troop meeting last week that I thought we would hold elections. I was quickly informed the committee would need to take up the issue. So, I inform the committee that the troop needs to choose new youth leaders for the start of next year. I essentially then asked for their thoughts on the matter. The committee chair quickly jumps in and says we need to appoint the SPL. I then tell them that if the committee decides to appoint the SPL, there isn't anything I can do about it, but that I will not be making such an appointment.

This produced something along the lines of stunned silence.

The committee chair then comments that it sounds like I have a problem with appointing the SPL.

I explain that yes, I do have a problem with that. I happen to have my copy of the SM handbook (opened to SPL job description) laying on the conference table in front of me. I proceed to explain that elections is the means of selecting an SPL provided for in that book. I also suggest that elections are a key component of the concept of a boy-led troop.

There was a somewhat awkward pause after this.

Then it quickly became apparent that the committee was split almost in half as to weather or not to appoint the new SPL.

I think this issue may have opened up a bit of a rift in the committee. There were already some issues of contention, and this seems to have heightened the split. I also think this may have put me in poor standing with the committee chair, which isn't good.

I was able to excuse myself shortly after that, and I must say I was glad to get out of the room. The committee indicated they would discuss it more later in the meeting, but they never reached a decision.

The troop needs a SM and I am the most qualified adult in the troop, but I simply can not take the position, even though I would like to. It would not be fair to me, the parents, the committee, or the youth, since I would have to give it up by summer if not sooner, as well as a few other issues.

I don't really have to worry about them asking me to take the job at this point. Now that I have said that an Assistant Scoutmaster is what I am, and what I intend to continue being, I think they understand I don't want the job. Plus, some of them don't think I am qualified. They remember me more as a Scout, rather than seeing me as a Scouter. Unfortunately, that means a good deal of my knowledge and understanding of the program, as well as my personal connections, that could be of great use at this time, will go unused. I have a fear that I may know more about Scouting than the entire committee combined. I hope I am wrong about that.

Oh, and no, I am not in Louisville any more. That is where I was going to school. I have been back home since the end of summer, and I will be staying here until at least the start of summer 2005.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

ProudEagle, it is understandable that you would be troubled by what happened in the committee meeting you describe, but try to look at it in a more positive light. You have accomplished something that I'd consider pretty remarkable for anyone, but especially for someone of your age. You walked into a room full of people who did not understand an important aspect of the Scouting program (how the SPL is to be selected), and one that relates to and impacts on other aspects of the Scouting program (youth leadership, citizenship, patrol method and others.) Now, solely as a result of your efforts, about half of them do understand. Maybe the CC did not understand, but remember this happened last night. Most people, especially those of us who are twice your age or more, do not change their minds on the spot, or even in a day or a week, most of the time. Give him time to think about it. Maybe you should call him (and/or suggest getting together in person) and tell him how you want to make sure there is no misunderstanding between you, you want to work with him for the benefit of the boys, and point out to him the benefits of going "by the book." It sounds like this latter point may not have been received very well last night, but maybe you can correct that. (I realize that might be a difficult call to make, but I think you already did something more difficult last night.) Maybe it has been awhile since the CC has opened any of the handbooks, and maybe he never has read any of the SM handbook. Perhaps now he will be motivated to do so. Or perhaps he will decide that doing things by the book isn't his style, and give up the job to one of the other parents who you were able to persuade last night. Either way, the boys win. Even if not, and even if you are indeed in "poor standing" and remain there, you have done the best you could. You have provided leadership, and now the others have to decide whether they will follow. Either things will get better or they won't, but if they do, it will be in large part because of what you are doing. That seems like quite an achievement, regardless of the end result.

Proud Eagle,

Don't sell yourself short. You are doing an unbelievably good job at filling in for the SM so far. You are emphasizing all of the right things- boy led troop, active parent involvement, adult training, and an attempt to find the right replacement for the SM.

You are also learning that the job is easier when more people are involved. Many hands make the work light. Be clear that you will not be able to continue in this role past the next summer, but that you are here, now, to help transition the troop to its next stage.

It is too bad that you won't be able to continue in your extended ASM role. But it sounds like you should be able to be an ASM in the future.

Good luck and Scout On!