Coalition, BSA Jointly Announce Formation of Survivor Advisory Working Group

...The Survivor Working Group will work with BSA leadership to, among other things, continue to enhance the BSA's current youth protection program, discuss and address survivor concerns, assist in preparation for and implementation of the non-economic commitments of the BSA under the Plan of Reorganization, and discuss how to expand the input of survivors at the national and local council level.  

The Survivor Working Group will be comprised of between 15-20 members, including between 8-12 survivors who are members of the Coalition, and at least 6 representatives of BSA, including (1) the CEO/Chief Scout Executive, (2) the Chair of BSA's Safe Scouting Support Committee, (3) the Executive Vice President and Youth Development Officer, (4) the Director of Membership Standards, (5) the Chair of BSA's Audit and Risk Management Standing Committee of the Executive Board, and (6) a representative of the Ad Hoc Committee of Local Councils.  Importantly, the Coalition demanded that the Working Group be open to all survivors, to ensure that all perspectives are heard.

...This announcement follows a recent commitment from the BSA to appoint a survivor to its National Executive Board. Both the formation of a Survivor Working Group and the addition of a survivor to the BSA Board are the direct result of Coalition negotiations with the BSA.

More at Press release link:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-coalition-of-abused-scouts-for-justice-and-boy-scouts-of-america-jointly-announce-formation-of-survivor-advisory-working-group-301414470.html

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps. However, if none of the TCC members are invited, that is neither wise nor easily explained away. Those 9 men were selected by the US Trustee to represent ALL BSA child sexual abuse survivors 

To be clear, the TCC is the official committee appointed by the United States Department of Justice through the US Trustee.   They are paid by the BSA as a cost of the bankruptcy process.  The TCC con

My bottom line, this is nothing but a distraction from the Coalition's inability to this point of gaining a bigger trust fund AND a reaction to the TCC making it clear that abuse elimination is a SERI

So the position of the Chair of BSA's Safe Scouting Support Committee replaces the position of Director of Youth Protection for the BSA?

Also some survivor members of the Survivor Working Group have already been selected and named?

Edited by RememberSchiff

Filling in a few names:

1) the CEO/Chief Scout Executive, - Roger Mosby

(2) the Chair of BSA's Safe Scouting Support Committee - ????

(3) the Executive Vice President and Youth Development Officer - John Mosby

(4) the Director of Membership Standards - ????

(5) the Chair of BSA's Audit and Risk Management Standing Committee of the Executive Board - ????

and (6) a representative of the Ad Hoc Committee of Local Councils.  - ????

Edited by RememberSchiff
4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

The Survivor Working Group will be comprised of between 15-20 members, including between 8-12 survivors who are members of the Coalition

8-12 from the Coalition? Um, the TCC? Hello? McFly…?!?!

4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

the Coalition demanded that the Working Group be open to all survivors, to ensure that all perspectives are heard.

So, I can be on it? Any of you other fellas get an invite?? 

Is it just me or did anyone else get the vibe that this is advertising for the plan?

TCC not at all part of this. Duration ends after voting is over. Regular meetings and probably regular reports. It will turn into the organization that the bsa and coalition agreed upon. Again, no TCC. No information about voting. While there is a fixed number of survivors on this board the bsa side has "at least 6".

Disappointed again but still not surprised.

• Thanks 2
12 hours ago, MattR said:

Is it just me or did anyone else get the vibe that this is advertising for the plan?

TCC not at all part of this. Duration ends after voting is over. Regular meetings and probably regular reports. It will turn into the organization that the bsa and coalition agreed upon. Again, no TCC. No information about voting. While there is a fixed number of survivors on this board the bsa side has "at least 6".

Disappointed again but still not surprised.

Why disappointed?  

The TCC isn't even technically an independent organization it's just a temporary collection of people involved in a bankruptcy with a sole focus on the bankruptcy; I wouldn't expect any activities occurring outside the bankruptcy to include such a non-entity until such time as there is a likely agreement and the group becomes likely to have ongoing authority based upon the discharge. 

As far as the group size goes, I don't think you are seeing everything that is being said there.  The group size is 15-20 with 8-12 survivors.  So survivors will compose 40%-60% of the group with the remainder being made up either BSA officials or outside experts.  I'd fully expect there to be some manner of independent CSA expert added to the group so that leaves 6-11 spots for BSA officials; so it's not like they can pack the group with sycophants to drown out the survivors.  But the important point here is that the stated plan specifically names the positions that will be a part of the group rather than leaving it open.  So you will have an advisory group with either a large minority or an outright majority survivor membership with direct access to:

The CEO, the Chair of BSA's Safe Scouting Support Committee, the Executive Vice President and Youth Development Officer, the Director of Membership Standards, the Chair of BSA's Audit and Risk Management Standing Committee of the Executive Board

Essentially they'll have all the levers of power relevant to Youth Protection within the BSA sitting in the room with them.  In less desirable circumstances you'd see a working group like this made up of survivors and then various executive assistants or assistant VPs and you'd just be hoping that any recommendations actually made it in front of the top brass.

• Upvote 2

8-12 members of the Coalition.  I’m a BSA supporter but I wouldn’t trust the Coalition to represent victims well.  

Let’s see the names they add before we say this group is useful.  If they add only survivors who support the plan, I question the entire proposal and expect it is nothing more than a marketing ploy to try to get votes as KR has not been able to double the cash as he committed.   

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Let’s see the names they add before we say this group is useful.  If they add only survivors who support the plan, I question the entire proposal and expect it is nothing more than a marketing ploy to try to get votes as KR has not been able to double the cash as he committed.   

When there was a whiff of any appointment of any survivor to any such role, board or working group, I submitted my name. No response. Anyone think they’ll be inviting me or Dr. Kennedy or John Humphrey to sit in any of those chairs? Yeah. That’s a big chubby no.

Edited by ThenNow
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

8-12 members of the Coalition.  I’m a BSA supporter but I wouldn’t trust the Coalition to represent victims well.  

If the group starts talking about the case in any way, I'd become skeptical really fast, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to be putting people into a working group that are openly antagonistic to the BSA (for whatever reason).

• Upvote 1

I think the concept of the group is great. Where I'm skeptical is the number of survivors from the Coalition. Who are they and how will they be picked? How long will their terms be? How long is a seat on this group? Says open to all survivors.. so how does our guy @ThenNow get on it? 

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

so how does our guy @ThenNow get on it? 

Thanks for your support. I’m pressing up some Willkie buttons as I type. Well, not as I type, but you feel me. I sent an email to BrownRudnick and will keep you posted. (Get it? Posted?)

• Upvote 1