20 minutes ago, yknot said:

What, do you mean like a Klondike? I think that's allowed. 

I have heard of that, but I dont think something done in Texas.   But yes, something similar to that.

I never assume anymore there isnt some rule against something.

1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I have heard of that, but I dont think something done in Texas.   But yes, something similar to that.

I never assume anymore there isnt some rule against something.

There are always rules..

I think the last time this was done by me it was  joint councils. I think it was both by patrol and unit. In looking through some old stuff, before my time there was also something called a Mountain Man event that was a competition and there was also some kind of soap box derby race although that might have been cubs. At the cub level the Klondike around here is called The Yukon. I think it's more participatory than competitive. 

Our council has (or had, anyway) an event called Wali-Ga-Zu, which is a competition between patrols in different troops in various scout skills, such as lashing something together, first aid (adults from another troop serve as victim), knot tying, etc.  There are a number of "academic" parts, such as identifying map symbols.  Each year, one different subject is added, and troops are given that information beforehand to identify on flashcards.  One year it will be constellations, one year it will be leaf identification, etc.  I believe there are about eight events that they rotate through, and they are scored by adults from other troops.   It's a little bit like Klondike Derby, but it's an indoor event on a weeknight.  For many troops, I'm guessing it takes the place of their regular troop meeting that week.

Surprisingly, I can find very little about it on Google.  There were documents about it online on the district website, but since districts have been shuffled around, those resources don't seem to exist.  I did find these photos on some troop's Facebook page which give an idea:

https://www.facebook.com/ScoutsBSATroop9031/photos/?tab=album&album_id=784427974985223

I have no idea why it's called what it is, or what that name means.  But it's been a longstanding tradition in one district, and seems popular.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, clemlaw said:

Our council has (or had, anyway) an event called Wali-Ga-Zu, which is a competition between patrols in different troops in various scout skills, such as lashing something together, first aid (adults from another troop serve as victim), knot tying, etc.

Wow. This has a long tradition. When I did research on our council camp which opened in 1928, there was a newspaper article that a Wali-Ga-Zu would be held as part of the opening ceremonies. I did not learn the origin or meaning of the event but it appeared to be very similar to what you described.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:01 PM, qwazse said:

My relatives in FL put wheels on their patrol’s Klondike derby sled.

Most district events at the troop level should encourage patrol competitions, IMHO.

When I was a kid in England, we had a version of the Klondike derby with a pioneer theme.  Each patrol in the district - probably 10 troops total - made a covered wagon of sorts.  Our troop had the best by far - actual wooden boxes with bows and tarps.  The wooden wheels weren't the best, but oh well.  We were given a packing list and when we showed up, there was a list of events.  Each event had one competitor from the patrol and we moved as a troop.  I remember that they were timed events - like tying a series of knots, starting a fire, chopping wood, making a tent stake, etc.  It was a round robin event and you had to pull your wagon from station to station.  It was lots of fun and we did the OA call out on Saturday evening.