Citizenship in Society - MBC Orientation

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great - another sit in a class and try to stay awake merit badge. Boy Scouts, in order to differentiate the program in the market place, needs to be action and activity oriented, not more schooli

This is a huge topic, but I agree that a complete review is required. My bio, resume, or whatever it is, on my profile, many positions held for 5 to 15 years simultaneously, I have had extensive

One of the minor problems I have with this badge, which is the same issue I have with the disability badge, is the requirement to find and talk with someone who is disabled or, in this case, different

8 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

This is in fact a serious question.  If Non Binary is an umbrella term for gender identities that are neither male nor female‍; identities that are outside the gender binary, how could they also be gay as they do not identify as male of female?

Just curious as I would think they would identify as one (gay) or the other (non-binary).

I'm not sure.   Mixing sex orientation and gender fluidity makes this very confusing.  

1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

They aren't the same thing.  The identity is akin to racial or ethnic identity.  Sexual orientation is hetero, gay, bi, ...

it can be confusing if you can keep them separate then it makes sense.

I've been trying to keep up but my son just told me about another one -- A for Ally, not Asexual. His definition is that an Ally is someone who is either a friend or supportive of anyone who is one of the other letters or symbols, which basically means pretty much everyone is in the acronym. I've been trying to think and anticipate what the next one could be but I think the double AA along with plus might just cover it all? 

This entire subject is so convoluted that it really is impossible to truly understand or confront within our programs, in this case, Scouting.  We are trying to rationally deal with irrational concepts.  Not a real possibility from my view.  And the more we try, the more confused our youth could become, along with we who are trying to be mentors.  Like religious issues, this really is something that we should not be at the front of, stepping back to allow it to be a family challenge.  And no matter what we may do, we will NEVER actually meet the expectations this raises.  My opinion, and I understand some will find it wanting.

• Upvote 2

I have a son with autism in Boy Scouts, and I emphatically would not want him used as a teaching aid to help the rest of the troop complete a badge.  He's come a long way in his social skills and speaking skills. He doesn't want to be singled out as different.  

Marginalizing Scouts as teaching aids is a terrible idea.  I'm glad my son just finished his Eagle project so we can be out of Scouts soon.

Love our local troop and the kids.  Exhausted trying to deal with our council. I finally quit volunteering early this year.  Gobsmacked at the greed and stupidity of national.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Thanks. He is happy and becoming independent - finding his way, HIS WAY, which make him more happy.

Yep, HIS WAY.  I probably have Asperger's, too.  I was considered "unusual" in my teen years. I spent more time at Radio Shack than at the mall. I struggled socially in many of the same ways my son does now.

Fast forward.  I found a wonderful husband who loves me as is.  I'm one of very few geeky female software engineers in my workplace, and I love my job!  

I wish I had found MY WAY and the confidence to do what made me happy at a much younger age 

Your son is blessed to have a dad who loves him for who he is and just wants him to be happy. Way to go, Dad!

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, GeorgiaMom said:

I have a son with autism in Boy Scouts, and I emphatically would not want him used as a teaching aid to help the rest of the troop complete a badge.  He's come a long way in his social skills and speaking skills. He doesn't want to be singled out as different.  

Marginalizing Scouts as teaching aids is a terrible idea. 

That's what I'm talking about with this badge as well as the disability badge. I really think those requirements should come out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 11/1/2021 at 8:50 AM, fred8033 said:

#1  Purpose of MBs ???  ... Going tangential.  Not directly on this MB.   I agree with "...there is a ton..." ... I fear this is yet another where BSA does a light weight, cheap, shallow introduction to a topic done much better in school and church.  ...  Scouting has historically been reactionary to society trends.  Think STEM.  Think the 1970s new scouting program that moved away from outdoors.  At this point, I'm a bit lost on purposes of rank requirements versus MBs.  I used to think MBs were about either skills development or career exploration.  Now, MBs seem like a disorganized dumping ground for things we think kids should know.  ... If it were for me, scouting should be focused on distinguishing itself by keeping kids moving and doing things they can't get elsewhere ... aka outdoor adventure and physical skills.  Hiking.  Swimming.  Camping ... Welding.  Wood working.  etc.  

Why I love traditional scouting, created in 1970, that kept the hands on skills of the pioneer and outdoorsman 😌 maybe I'm just biased as a Rover Scout, though.

I hope this MB opens dialogue and creates friendships, but as others have discussed, it's something they can sit and do without much hands on work.

• Upvote 1