With the turn of the years, autumn again brings thoughts of campfires, wood smoke memories, s'mores, burnt hotdogs, songs and gazing into the embers.....

Campfire safety being of utmost importance (I hope and pray you never find yourself saying, "I thought I put it out"), I find myself remembering when I used to heat my modest cabin with wood.  I thought I might record  some ideas in that vein,  (please bear in mind , this is past history.....) therefore:

How to Heat with Wood for Free!

It is easy to heat your home for free with wood!  I have done it for many years , and I have been asked by many to detail the economics of it. Here, then, is my accounting of heating with wood over the last few years!

Wood is available for free from many sources. Neighbors may need a tree cut down. Road crews leave wood by the road for picking up. Untended lots need thinning.

One just needs a little equipment.

Build wood rack from scrap lumber :  FREE!

Install catalytic equipped wood stove, double wall stove pipe: $5,432.

Purchase chainsaw, case, chain oil,  hardhat, safety goggles, Kevlar chaps & vest, heavy gloves, wedges, maul for splitting, :  (“on special”!)  $844.95.

Two gallon gas can and 2 gallons of gas: $15.48.

Buy old second hand pickup (to haul wood ! ) from cousin: $850.

Rebuild engine, new clutch, new tires, pass state inspection, tags, title, insurance:  $3,547.85.

Pay fine for cutting wood without a permit on park land: $350.

Replace rear window in pickup (threw log thru it): $207.

Sharpen saw chain after hitting rock in tree crotch:  $18.

Buy 2 extra saw chains:  $66.05.

Repair neighbor’s roof edge after maple fell the wrong way:  $427.

Repair chainsaw after using regular gas in it (needs 2 stroke mix):  $98.47.

Buy two gallons gas and pint of 2 stroke oil:  $14.48.

Doctor visit after wood rack falls on foot:  $20. Copay.

Crutch rental:  FREE (local service club)

Clean rug and smoke damage when wife forgets to open damper:  $380.28.

Lawyer visit, recommendation of marriage counseling:  $350.

As you can see, it is easy to heat your house with wood for FREE!  Of course , not everyone is as adept at wood cutting as some, so your experience will no doubt be different.  Good Luck !

Edited by SSScout
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
46 minutes ago, SSScout said:

With the turn of the years, autumn again brings thoughts of campfires, wood smoke memories, s'mores, burnt hotdogs, songs and gazing into the embers.....

Campfire safety being of utmost importance (I hope and pray you never find yourself saying, "I thought I put it out"), I find myself remembering when I used to heat my modest cabin with wood.  I thought I might record  some ideas in that vein,  (please bear in mind , this is past history.....) therefore:

How to Heat with Wood for Free!

It is easy to heat your home for free with wood!  I have done it for many years , and I have been asked by many to detail the economics of it. Here, then, is my accounting of heating with wood over the last few years!

Wood is available for free from many sources. Neighbors may need a tree cut down. Road crews leave wood by the road for picking up. Untended lots need thinning.

One just needs a little equipment.

Build wood rack from scrap lumber :  FREE!

Install catalytic equipped wood stove, double wall stove pipe: $5,432.

Purchase chainsaw, case, chain oil,  hardhat, safety goggles, Kevlar chaps & vest, heavy gloves, wedges, maul for splitting, :  (“on special”!)  $844.95.

Two gallon gas can and 2 gallons of gas: $15.48.

Buy old second hand pickup (to haul wood ! ) from cousin: $850.

Rebuild engine, new clutch, new tires, pass state inspection, tags, title, insurance:  $3,547.85.

Pay fine for cutting wood without a permit on park land: $350.

Replace rear window in pickup (threw log thru it): $207.

Sharpen saw chain after hitting rock in tree crotch:  $18.

Buy 2 extra saw chains:  $66.05.

Repair neighbor’s roof edge after maple fell the wrong way:  $427.

Repair chainsaw after using regular gas in it (needs 2 stroke mix):  $98.47.

Buy two gallons gas and pint of 2 stroke oil:  $14.48.

Doctor visit after wood rack falls on foot:  $20. Copay.

Crutch rental:  FREE (local service club)

Clean rug and smoke damage when wife forgets to open damper:  $380.28.

Lawyer visit, recommendation of marriage counseling:  $350.

As you can see, it is easy to heat your house with wood for FREE!  Of course , not everyone is as adept at wood cutting as some, so your experience will no doubt be different.  Good Luck !

You made off cheap. My neighbor's free fuel enterprise ended with a helicopter ride. He's back to using heating oil now.  

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:19 AM, SSScout said:

Campfire safety being of utmost importance (I hope and pray you never find yourself saying, "I thought I put it out"),

As long as we're admitting fallibility: We thought we put it out. Then we put the garbage bag full of ashes in the back of the truck. Then we fanned it at 60 mph. Then we pulled over and took it out of the back of the truck as quickly as we could.

But our lesson really was FREE! (No damage other than slight melting of truck bed liner)

Humility is a hard skill to learn.

• Haha 3