A Letter from BSA’s Chief Diversity Officer & Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will feel included, and like I belong, when they disband all Workforce Resource Groups and treat people based on character and individual merit rather than categorizing people according to skin colo

If one believes we are trying to fix the past, then I would agree that is impossible. But I don't think that's in the intent or execution of what is happening today; I believe we are taking the lesson

I agree Fred, I  have never heard a kid say that they joined Scouts to learn leadership, responsibility, life enriching lessons, diversity or inclusion.  They want to camp out, play with fire and kniv

Regarding girls troops, initially the local girls' troop was forced to do joint activities due to lack of gear and adults. Now that they equal their brother troop, they prefer to do things on their own. In fact,  this year they are doing two different summer camps the same week. This is something the girls wanted as they believe the boys are holding them back.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Regarding girls troops, initially the local girls' troop was forced to do joint activities due to lack of gear and adults. Now that they equal their brother troop, they prefer to do things on their own. In fact,  this year they are doing two different summer camps the same week. This is something the girls wanted as they believe the boys are holding them back.

Nice patrol method!

• Upvote 1

Oh boy, now I'm really confused.  YPT, one on one contact, who can drive, joint troops, separate troops, who can or should or may or may not or where to or where not too wear the uniform, chartered organization stuff, who can run a weedeater, golf cart driver improvement, jeeeeeeezzzzzzzz.  But now I'm really befuddled.......BOY Scouts let girls join so they can participate in the program, girls went to activities with the boys, boys had to accept this just because that's the way it is (inclusion and all that),  if the boys of the Boy Scouts excluded the girls it's unacceptable, girls don't want to participate with boys,  BOY that is BOY I say BOY Scouts has an ALL GIRL (no boys) camporee.  I guess that's just a grand idea, but it sure is giving me a headache 🤯

• Upvote 2

One question  for the BSA Chief Diversity Officer (I'd like to see what that patch looks like) and I would really appreciate a straightforward answer.  Since diversity and inclusion has become a hot topic for the BSA, then why, at a nationaln event at a national place,  were there separate events for the LGBTQ folks and another event for people of color?  If they had an event for straight white folks there would have been an uproar heard around the world........what's up with that?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mrjeff said:

One question  for the BSA Chief Diversity Officer (I'd like to see what that patch looks like) and I would really appreciate a straightforward answer.  Since diversity and inclusion has become a hot topic for the BSA, then why, at a nationaln event at a national place,  were there separate events for the LGBTQ folks and another event for people of color?  If they had an event for straight white folks there would have been an uproar heard around the world........what's up with that?

Probably because LGBTQ and people of color are minorities within scouting.  And having an event detonated to allow them to see that they are not alone, discuss or raises issues particulars to them, or identify opportunities that would increase their participation in scouts.  You know, make it more inclusive.  

1 hour ago, Mrjeff said:

So.......in that case inclusion, acceptance and all that goes out the window?  Is it then ok for white straight folks to conduct separate activities allowing them to discuss similar topics?

Of course not.  It is to provide opportunity for minority groups that do not have or not are comfortable when in a large group when they are a minority.  It’s about creating a venue where they have a voice and others like them will be here to meet and talk to.  This BUILDs inclusion and acceptance, or the other way around.  And you know what, I would bet you would you welcome to attend if you wanted.  You want them to feel welcome, right? 

Edited by Navybone
1 hour ago, Mrjeff said:

Is it then ok for white straight folks to conduct separate activities allowing them to discuss similar topics?

That already has been most organizations for time immemorial.

Have you never heard of affinity groups? Veterans, etc.?

Edited by mrjohns2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Navybone said:

Of course not.  It is to provide opportunity for minority groups that do not have or not are comfortable when in a large group when they are a minority.  It’s about creating a venue where they have a voice and others like them will be here to meet and talk to.  This BUILDs inclusion and acceptance, or the other way around.  And you know what, I would bet you would you welcome to attend if you wanted.  You want them to feel welcome, right? 

Maybe it did build inclusion and acceptance at the chiefs council.  I wasn't there so I can't say yea or nay.  But if it did it would be utterly unique in my experience.  Every time  I've witnessed people separated into exclusionary groups, at work, at church, at scouts, it always seems to create a rift or deepen a pre-existing one.   "Welcome to attend"?  Well they were scouts so it's possible I guess.  Certainly  wouldn't fit the pattern of the last few years.

Edited by Oldscout448

This in no way incourages or builds inclusion.  It shouldn't be an issue of "if you wanted to attend, you could".  The simple fact that a person is a Scout is enough. A Scout is a Scout regardless of race, creed, .......it's just that simple and to have separate venues for certain people builds further exclusion.  If this kind of thing is appropriate for one segment of Scouting it should be acceptable for all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

I wasn't aware the co-ed troops existed.  I thought that a troop had to be one 9r the other.  Has this recently changed?

Officially this is still the case. HOWEVER in reality many boys and girls troops are so intermingled regarding supplies, Scouters, etc, they are in essence 1 troop. National has OK'd the fact that troops can do joint activities if they have the same CO. So you have joint troops' meetings, camp outs, summer camps, service projects, etc.

And some troops have point blank said they will be two separate troops on paper only. They will do everything together as if they were one big troop. 

• Upvote 1