A Letter from BSA’s Chief Diversity Officer & Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion

Scouting’s Tradition and Commitment to Diversity, Our Continuing Journey

Elizabeth Ramirez-Washka, BSA’s Chief Diversity Officer & Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion

Scouting’s rich heritage has stood the test of time for more than 110 years. Together we have grown and evolved with changing times while always holding true to BSA’s core ideals and values such as kindness, integrity, respect, courtesy, and care for others. Ideals like the Scout Oath and Scout Law have prepared millions of children for a lifetime of leadership and success.

Today, I am focused on making sure BSA will continue going strong well into the next century. Since being named BSA’s first Chief Diversity Officer a year ago, I and others have worked diligently to ensure our organization represents and reflects the diversity of our society and the communities we serve.

To do so, we must identify new opportunities to expand our relevance and reach with families and communities, reinforce our commitment to “help other people at all times,” and have an even greater impact on our youth.

We are building on our enduring legacy with a series of initiatives that I am excited to share with you. We started by defining our mission and vision for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) that aligns with our overarching mission and vision statements as an organization, and guides how we’re focused on advancing diversity, equity and inclusion.

DEI-CDO-HEADSHOT.jpg Elizabeth Ramirez-Washka, BSA’s Chief Diversity Officer & Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion

BSA DEI Mission: To promote a culture where every youth, volunteer, and employee feels a sense of belonging and to build communities where every person feels respected and valued. 

BSA DEI Vision: To partner with all families and communities in raising young people of high moral character, developing their leadership skills, and preparing them to serve and thrive in a world of increasing complexity and challenge. 

Internally, we have taken several important actions to make our organization even stronger, to better support our existing staff and volunteers, and to more accurately reflect the communities that we serve.  Some of these actions include:

• Hosting multiple listening sessions with parents, volunteers, and supporters to hear their perspectives and learn more about how we can grow and connect with new audiences in creative ways.
  • Strengthening our board-level DEI advisory committee to ensure BSA fosters an inclusive environment where all youth, employees and volunteers feel welcomed and find a place of belonging.
  • Creating DEI training for all employees and volunteers to advance understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion, and offering resources to enable meaningful dialogue. Almost 6,000 BSA employees and over 4,000 volunteers have already completed the training.  
  • Appointing DEI leads for each of our 16 National Service Territories to partner with the leaders and troops within their territories to implement and advance our commitment to DEI. As part of this effort, we are also implementing new programs to increase recruitment and retention of diverse employees. 
  • Expanding and further supporting our five Workforce Resource Groups for employees – for members of the affinity and their allies– APACK for our Asian Pacific workforce, BSA View for our LGBTQ+ workforce, LISTOS for our Latino workforce, RISE for our women’s workforce, and The Village for our Black workforce. Each Workforce Resource Group aims to cultivate an environment where employees can seek support, mentorship, networking, and opportunities to educate, generate awareness, and foster a culture where everyone has a sense of belonging.
  • Finally, we have collaborated with nonprofits and youth organizations to learn best practices and identify opportunities to advance the ideals of DEI throughout our communities and society. We’re invested in continuing to collaborate with other nonprofit youth organizations to learn from one another’s experiences and brainstorm innovative approaches to continue to cultivate a culture of belonging as we try to better reflect the diversity we see in our communities. 

Soon, we will be announcing our newest merit badge. While still currently in development, this merit badge will help Scouts learn about the diverse, unique identities and characteristics we each possess, understand different perspectives and experiences, and learn how to encourage an inclusive and welcoming culture in Scouting. Additionally, we have been reviewing and will continue to review every element of our programs to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion are ingrained at every level for participants and volunteers.

These are among the first steps to strengthen BSA as an organization and unlock the incredible potential of Scouting to more communities than ever before. We have a long journey ahead, but with the passion for purpose shared by our incredible staff, parents, volunteers, our Scouts and supporters, I know we can get there.

Like many of you, in the years since I first joined Scouting, I have immersed myself in its rich history and traditions, including earning my Wood Badge in 2018. Together, I know that our collective deep personal investment in the future success of this great organization will continue to keep it a vital part of the fabric of this nation well into the future. I am excited and passionate about the opportunity my role provides in empowering me to help advance diversity, equity and inclusion in my community, our society and our nation.

Prior to joining BSA, I devoted my career to helping others as a corporate labor and employment attorney. My passion for law stemmed from an experience I had as a young child with my grandmother. She was a first-generation American who did not speak fluent English; the bilingual attorney who helped her inspired me to become an attorney and ignited my passion to help ensure all have a voice and feel a sense of belonging.

As a mother of two daughters, I think we can all agree that raising our children to be more empathetic, kind, respectful and inclusive is one of the best things we can do as parents. I believe these expansions to our organization and programming will ultimately open the door to enable more youth to benefit from Scouting, and to make our Scouts even more effective leaders and members of society, while positioning BSA as an essential, relevant experience that upholds the trusted values of Scouting, such as “to do a good turn daily,” as we should all aspire to do, for many years to come.

Yours in Scouting,

Elizabeth

• Sad 1
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will feel included, and like I belong, when they disband all Workforce Resource Groups and treat people based on character and individual merit rather than categorizing people according to skin colo

If one believes we are trying to fix the past, then I would agree that is impossible. But I don't think that's in the intent or execution of what is happening today; I believe we are taking the lesson

I agree Fred, I  have never heard a kid say that they joined Scouts to learn leadership, responsibility, life enriching lessons, diversity or inclusion.  They want to camp out, play with fire and kniv

1 hour ago, tnmule20 said:

Soon, we will be announcing our newest merit badge. While still currently in development, this merit badge will help Scouts learn about the diverse, unique identities and characteristics we each possess, understand different perspectives and experiences, and learn how to encourage an inclusive and welcoming culture in Scouting. Additionally, we have been reviewing and will continue to review every element of our programs to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion are ingrained at every level for participants and volunteers.

If they are making sure DE&I is truly "ingrained at every level," is the MB truly needed?

I wonder if they will also add explicit DE&I requirements for each rank from Cub up through Eagle?

I am not comfortable with DEI.  Seems like it is CRT (Critical Race Theory) with a new label.  I started to take the training but it seems I don't speak the approved language.  Did George Orwell write fiction?  Not sure about DEI at all.  JD 

• Like 2

I did the adult training module as soon as it was released, and saw nothing (at least to me) objectionable.

As for the MB, I would support taking the various parts of it and integrating them into the existing Citizenship MBs rather than creating a stand alone Eagle required badge.  Other than the MB counselors, most people would probably not even notice the changes.

I could easily image it becoming something like the annual Cyber Chip renewals, where the scouts would watch and discuss a video once a year or once every other year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I will feel included, and like I belong, when they disband all Workforce Resource Groups and treat people based on character and individual merit rather than categorizing people according to skin color, sexual preference, national origin, heritage, religion, voting preference, gender, mental illness, income level, language, etc. etc. etc. 

And, I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this...BSA still has this officer, but laid off their Director of Youth Protection 10 months ago?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryannreid/2020/02/24/what-if-workplace-diversity-is-the-biggest-scam-yet/

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

And, I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this...BSA still has this officer, but laid off their Director of Youth Protection 10 months ago?

I noted that too. I guess they only want diversity of opinions to a point. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see that BSA is deciding to toss out the notion that all Scouts are just Scouts without regard for social class - "for members of the affinity and their allies".  The non-Newspeak version of this is "we created group to separate people by identity other than 'Scout' with the intention of try to make people feel special, rather than foster brotherhood and understanding that everyone is different."  This is usually followed by special "spaces" and meeting that are only for members of these special groups.  It's basically emotional reparations writ large.  

Seems to me that a more effective solution would be to have commissioners look at their units for signs of exclusion and have a chat with the leadership.  

One final thought, if we truly examine the "diversity of our society", are we really sure we want to include all elements?  Seems to me that the organization should establish its own culture, rules, morals, expectations, whatever, and have its members rise to meet them.  A race to the bottom is unlikely to help it survive.  

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, JDOutwest said:

I am not comfortable with DEI.  Seems like it is CRT (Critical Race Theory) with a new label.  I started to take the training but it seems I don't speak the approved language.  Did George Orwell write fiction?  Not sure about DEI at all.  JD 

Did you get that after completing the training?  I would be interested in what issues you had with the training.  I thought it was pretty good. 

I took the DEI volunteer training today and it wasn't terrible.  Diversity, it is inevitable, even within the same race.  Inclusion, of course we include all of our Scouts and Scouters.  Pretty much common sense.  Equity, I get it to an extent but it can also be used as a crutch.  Be a good person.  Treat others the way you would like to be treated and I think the world is a better place.  The training goes over what any normal, high-functioning human being should already know and be doing.  Now, the minute this training or merit badge includes components of CRT all bets are off and I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I will feel included, and like I belong, when they disband all Workforce Resource Groups and treat people based on character and individual merit rather than categorizing people according to skin color, sexual preference, national origin, heritage, religion, voting preference, gender, mental illness, income level, language, etc. etc. etc. 

I think the point is that they have the workforce groups becasue people are not treated based on character and individual merit.

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, tnmule20 said:

Now, the minute this training or merit badge includes components of CRT all bets are off and I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Did BSA says its DEI programs would be based on CRT?  DEI does not equal CRT. 

• Downvote 1
Just now, Navybone said:

I think the point is that they have the workforce groups becasue people are not treated based on character and individual merit.

So the solution is to further isolate the workforce along personal identity lines, rather than figure out the problem and eliminate it at the source?  

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Navybone said:

Did BSA says its DEI programs would be based on CRT?  DEI does not equal CRT. 

13 minutes ago, tnmule20 said:

Now, the minute this training or merit badge includes components of CRT all bets are off and I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

"the minute" is Southern for when and/or if.

10 minutes ago, Navybone said:

DEI does not equal CRT. 

Maybe not yet.  Give it some time.

Edited by tnmule20
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

So the solution is to further isolate the workforce along personal identity lines, rather than figure out the problem and eliminate it at the source?  

The purpose of the workforce groups is to better understand the different cultures and so that BSA can understand there are bias (intentional or unintentional) in the processes or workforce management.   I have not seen anything that creates or encourages a group specific paths or efforts that would isolate anyone.  Have you?