Skilled Trades Center added to Boxwell Scout Reservation (TN)

..."The Roy Grindstaff Skilled Trades Center will provide scouts ages 13-18 the opportunity to earn the merit badges of automotive maintenance, electricity, home repair, painting, plumbing and welding. The facility will also include a classroom to accommodate hands-on skills presentations by volunteers who are experts in the trades’ fields."

The center to be located at Boxwell Scout Reservation is scheduled to open next summer and  was "made possible through a gift from the Maddox Foundation of Hernando, Miss. The Skilled Trades Center is a priority project of the Middle Tennessee Council’s Campaign for Boxwell Reservation. The $10.6 million effort (for renovating the whole camp - RS) is underway and just less than $7 million has been raised."

More at source:

https://www.wilsonpost.com/news/boxwell-reservation-to-break-ground-on-skilled-trades-center-for-boy-scouts/article_3315ac62-2d79-11ec-9512-1b8c46e5f7ea.html

:huh: Why not use the classrooms, shops, and equipment at local schools? A Scout is Thrifty.

Edited by RememberSchiff
21 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Because many schools now do not allow access.

Also if you are integrating it into summer camp, no one wants to load up on a bus to drive to a school. And while you can get access to classrooms occasionally, its much harder to get access to fancy equipment like auto shop services.

17 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Because many schools now do not allow access.

I hear you. IMHO, for public institutions that has to be changed by taxpayers; we should not throw money at replicating chemistry labs, auto shops, ...

While a DL, we met at the local playground which was on school property...until a new principal said we could not.  This didn't sit well with many in the community who volunteered to build that playground after a tax increase to fund it. Her attitude was adjusted as was nearly her employment.

My $0.02,

• Like 1

My father was an industrial arts teacher for decades.  Back in the 1980s, instead of sending kids who were interested in trades to his class, they sent the kids who couldn't behave.  Over time, unfortunately, most kids who could behave were shuffled into college prep classes.  As those changes occurred, schools began to stop investing in that equipment.

Long story short ... many schools may not actually have that equipment.  Perhaps the labor shortage in the trades/truck drivers/etc. is an indication of our failures over the last 20-30 years to encourage the trades as much as we encourage generic college degrees.  

• Like 1

Our local technical high school received a state high tech grant which funded a first-rate HAAS CNC shop, oh they have Bridgeports , lathes, and my favorite - an anvil. Only a few students registered, so the school setup a cross-program with the local community college. No shortage of interested, more mature students.

The tech teachers whom I have spoken say they want better students ahead of pay, benefits, new equipment.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I had the opportunity to visit the Program area during the recent Boxwell Staff reunion. They had a busy summer camp and participation was good. It was really fun to see the creative way that the staff had built pods for teaching home repair, plumbing, welding, etc. And my heart swelled to see Camp Parnell resurrected and scheduled for further development to support these program offerings!

On 10/20/2021 at 7:35 AM, RememberSchiff said:

Why not use the classrooms, shops, and equipment at local schools? A Scout is Thrifty.

Not sure what the area is like now, but back when I attended Boxwell as a scout, and when I staffed in the early 70's, there were no high schools near enough to the camp to make that practical.  

My current council opened a similar facility a few years ago, which is extremely popular with scouts.  I can easily see some of them going home after their first exposure to some of the trade MBs and deciding that is something they want to get more involved with, perhaps even leading to a good career.  (and isn't that what the MB program should be all about)

3 hours ago, k3egl said:

I had the opportunity to visit the Program area during the recent Boxwell Staff reunion

When did you staff at Boxwell?

I attended as a youth from approx. '67 - 71; and staffed at Camp Stahlman in 72, 73, & 74.  Did my Ordeal, Brotherhood, & Vigil there, along with Wood Badge.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:54 AM, MikeS72 said:

When did you staff at Boxwell?

I attended as a youth from approx. '67 - 71; and staffed at Camp Stahlman in 72, 73, & 74.  Did my Ordeal, Brotherhood, & Vigil there, along with Wood Badge.

Mike, I attended camp there from '75 to '81, staffed Camp Craig as an adult in '91. I was very active in OA; served as Lodge Vice Chief in '81-82.

• Upvote 1