My original OA pocket patch .....

Hello All !

I've found my original OA pocket patch from my time as a boy in the Boy Scouts -- Papoukewis Lodge (289) -- Fort Steuben Council.  Somewhere over time, it's been machine washed, and then removed from the uniform, and as a result is wrinkled.  What is the best way to restore the patch to a new(er) condition??  I'm wanting to wear it on my Class-A uniform.

Welcome to the forum. 

I have a couple of my original lodges old flaps that are in similar condition. 

Since I am in a different lodge I cannot wear them, so I have never considering "reviving" them. Also, they are some what rare and I don't want to risk damaging them further. 

However, you might try to use an iron on a low setting, maybe with some parchment paper over the patch. The old flaps did not have the plastic backing so once the threads start to shrink from washing, I am not sure anything will help. 

If your the idea is to wear a historical flap from your youth, try asking around. Every lodge has thread heads that are avid collectors. Chances are you can find the identical patch from one of them, though they may wince if they know you are going to actually wear it, lol. 

Of course, I am assuming you are still in your original lodge. If not you should only be wearing the flap of the lodge you are currently registered and dues paid. 

Good luck

2 hours ago, Teacher_of_the_Arcan said:

Hello All !

I've found my original OA pocket patch from my time as a boy in the Boy Scouts -- Papoukewis Lodge (289) -- Fort Steuben Council.  Somewhere over time, it's been machine washed, and then removed from the uniform, and as a result is wrinkled.  What is the best way to restore the patch to a new(er) condition??  I'm wanting to wear it on my Class-A uniform.

Check eBay for one in better shape. They have an insane amount of lodge flaps.

EBay is probably your best/easiest bet, however, if your lodge is having a tradeoree, you might find someone there with a much better deal than on eBay.  My original lodge was Black Eagle and they have put out a lot of neat patches this century - had the same patch for 50 years before that.  I got about $100 in patches (eBay prices) for $50 at our tradeoree.  Guys travel from long distances to trade.  

As mentioned above, wearing it on your uniform is ok if you are a dues paying member of that lodge.  If not, then you need to ask yourself why you want to wear it.  

1 hour ago, Armymutt said:

EBay is probably your best/easiest bet, however, if your lodge is having a tradeoree, you might find someone there with a much better deal than on eBay.  My original lodge was Black Eagle and they have put out a lot of neat patches this century - had the same patch for 50 years before that.  I got about $100 in patches (eBay prices) for $50 at our tradeoree.  Guys travel from long distances to trade.  

As mentioned above, wearing it on your uniform is ok if you are a dues paying member of that lodge.  If not, then you need to ask yourself why you want to wear it.  

I love many of the Black Eagle flaps.

Hard to find and expensive on EBay. 

Gentlemen, 

Thanks for the information.   Both the Fort Steuben Council and Papoukewis Lodge have been absorbed in council re-organizations, and neither still exists.  At my age  (I was Brotherhood OA in 1965) my time as an active Scouter is coming toward an end.  I had intended to put on my old patch to fly the flag in my twilight .  I would be nice if the old patch looked a bit spiffier.

9 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

I love many of the Black Eagle flaps.

Hard to find and expensive on EBay. 

Tell me about it.  I got the 2017 Normandy version from a guy.  He wanted $50 on eBay.  Met him at our camp and got several more patches, including the Normandy one, for the same price.  My new lodge, on the other hand, creates a special patch for everything.  Their NOAC 2022 patch set is awesome.