I am in my 5th year and this is the first time someone has earned the Religious Emblem.

How do we go about the actual award?  Does the parent pick it up?  Does the Unit pick it up?

I know we will acknowledge it at a meeting, but just not sure of the logistic side of it.

• Like 1

BSA does not sell the awards...and it depends on the award.

Most Christian awards are available at https://www.praypub.org/

You may have to establish an account there to purchase.

Some religious organizations may order them as well.

Which award is it, may I ask??

You can get the religious emblem knot at your Scout store, though... item 5007, for $1.99

https://www.scoutshop.org/youth-religious-award-knot-5007.html

That depends on your unit policies for purchase of awards...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I am in my 5th year and this is the first time someone has earned the Religious Emblem.

How do we go about the actual award?  Does the parent pick it up?  Does the Unit pick it up?

I know we will acknowledge it at a meeting, but just not sure of the logistic side of it.

As far as recognizing the award, that is most appropriately done at that Scout's place of worship.  But, that is up to the Scout.  Ask them how and where they want it presented.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

BSA does not sell the awards...and it depends on the award.

Most Christian awards are available at https://www.praypub.org/

You may have to establish an account there to purchase.

Some religious organizations may order them as well.

Which award is it, may I ask??

You can get the religious emblem knot at your Scout store, though... item 5007, for $1.99

https://www.scoutshop.org/youth-religious-award-knot-5007.html

That depends on your unit policies for purchase of awards...

Cub Scout through Methodist Church

4 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

We have several scouts in our pack who earned the award through the Methodist Church.  Pastor signed a certificate and we presented them with the knot at a pack meeting.

We also had several  earn it in the troop.  In their cases, it was presented at Scout Sunday service.

9 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

OK, so there are actually two "awards" here.

First is the "medal" based on the grade-appropriate program the Cub Scout completed.

Jesus and Me - K-1

God and Me - 2-3

or God and Family - 4-6

https://store.praypub.org/

Again, someone has to purchase that medal (and/or a handsome patch).   Each of those medals is $12.50 plus shipping, etc.  As stated, this is most approriately done by the Scout's place of worship, but I recommend you call the parents and/or pastor, and/or mentor to coordinate and find out what's the what.

Second, there is the Youth Religious Award Knot (if this is the Scout's first award), also previously mentioned.  This is most appropriately presented by the unit, and (most appropriately) after the medal above is presented.  A Scout may wear this knot on his uniform forevermore.  Yes, even as an adult ;)

If this is the Scout's second or subsequent religious award, then the unit should purchase an appropriate "gold device" to wear on the knot.

From the Guide to Awards and Insignia

"Any combination of miniature devices may be worn on the same Youth Religious Award knot: Cub Scout, No. 604950; Webelos Scout, No. 932; Scout, No. 927; Venturer, No. 930; Sea Scout, No. 931."

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33066/33066_Religious_Emblems_WEB.pdf?_gl=1*b2csj1*_ga*MjI5OTE1NDQ1LjE2MzIzNDUwNTE.*_ga_20G0JHESG4*MTYzNDA2NzIwNC4xMC4wLjE2MzQwNjcyMDQuNjA.

Here is a the Cub Scout pin device, $2.99

https://www.scoutshop.org/cub-scout-device-pin-604950.html

You can search any of the device numbers above on scoutshop.org to see what is needed.

Just to clear up any misconceptions...the religious awards are NOT BSA awards and it is not a BSA program.  The award should be earned through the scout's religious leader and awarded by the church.  It is one of the few non-BSA awards that the BSA allows to be worn on the uniform. (Medal OR square knot, not both).

4 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

Just to clear up any misconceptions...the religious awards are NOT BSA awards and it is not a BSA program.  The award should be earned through the scout's religious leader and awarded by the church.  It is one of the few non-BSA awards that the BSA allows to be worn on the uniform. (Medal OR square knot, not both).

No misconceptions... is says that clearly in the G2AI link above...

"Religious emblems are not considered Scouting awards. Instead they are earned by members and then presented to them by their religious leaders. Each faith has its own requirements for earning their respective emblems. A list of the emblems and more information about the programs can be found at www.scouting.org/ awards/religious-awards/."

8 hours ago, SSScout said:

"bottom line"  ::

Actually, it isn't. For example, that page doesn't have the other Lutheran award for adults. So, again, one must go to their denomination / religious group and see what is offered. Thus the "bottom line" is much more complicated. That is more the "top line". 

• Thanks 1
On 10/17/2021 at 12:06 AM, mrjohns2 said:

Thus the "bottom line" is much more complicated. That is more the "top line". 

Very true....   But it is a  "beginning".    It took some YEARS to get the BSA to correct the Friends contact info, but it was accomplished. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like your unit needs a chaplain, chaplain aide, and/or religious emblems coordinator! There's one for basically everyone (even people not belonging to a formal religion).

What we have usually done is this:

• The emblem (medal) is presented by the religious organization - some do a big annual presentation to all the Scouts of that faith that have earned them in the region, others just have it presented at worship or an appropriate religious gathering. 
  • The knot is presented at the Court of Honor or similar event. 
  • In some places, it is easier if they are presented at the pack meeting both together, and then some recognition is made at their church or religious institution. 

As someone else posted, the Methodist emblems are available through PRAY, and will have to be paid for - you can check with the local Methodist committee on Scouting and see what they recommend, though I imagine it will be the same way the unit pays for other award badges, whatever that is for you. 

Edited by Protoclete
32 minutes ago, Protoclete said:

Sounds like your unit needs a chaplain, chaplain aide, and/or religious emblems coordinator! There's one for basically everyone (even people not belonging to a formal religion).

What we have usually done is this:

• The emblem (medal) is presented by the religious organization - some do a big annual presentation to all the Scouts of that faith that have earned them in the region, others just have it presented at worship or an appropriate religious gathering. 
  • The knot is presented at the Court of Honor or similar event. 
  • In some places, it is easier if they are presented at the pack meeting both together, and then some recognition is made at their church or religious institution. 

As someone else posted, the Methodist emblems are available through PRAY, and will have to be paid for - you can check with the local Methodist committee on Scouting and see what they recommend, though I imagine it will be the same way the unit pays for other award badges, whatever that is for you. 

I thought I had a Religious Emblems Coordinator.  However, that leader is not following through with the obligation.  Its disappointing.